Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Houston, Texas

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 9:27 pm
DH and I would love love to move there. We have heard great things about the schools and shuls and community. What's it really like? Anything we need to know? We are MO btw.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 9:42 pm
Living in Houston now. There is a black hat Chabad community, ok people but not that accepting of non lubuvichers. Many chabad outreaches. There is a Young Israel community, lots of young famillies and a kollel. There is a mikvah. There are a few other orthodox communities, don't know much about them. Also a few different Sephardi shuls. There is a mixed Orthodox school k-12. There is a Chabad school to 8th grade. Also an Orthodox school that goes to 7th presently, but each year they add a grade. There's a girls orthodox highschool, and plans for a boys highschool within 1-2 years. Houston is incredibly affordable - for 150 to 250K you can get a house up to 3000 sq feet. A couple of eating places, not great, pretty decent shopping.

It takes about a year to get used to the heat which reached triple digits easy during the summers. Mild winters.

Good luck.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:25 pm
Thanks amother for your info. So is there a MO community there? The school has been described as similar to schools in Teaneck. Is that true?
Is the heat really that bad? I'm assuming there's very good air conditioning everywhere...
Are there a lot of young couples? We were interested in the area near young Israel.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 1:02 pm
If you are MO depending on where on the MO spectrum you fall, there is also UOS (united orthodox) the rav came from englewood I think. Lots of families there send to beren. I think the YI community is the more right wing community. There is also meyerland minyan.

I have friends who daven at the YI and friends who daven at UOS. My friends at UOS love it- they are very MO. their kids go to beren and they love beren. My friends at YI are more yeshivish and like it but the chinuch options for them are limited.

if you are MO its a great place to live IMHO,

amother

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 1:09 pm
You need to go there and try out both communities. go in the summer to get a feel for the heat. it is very hot but you get used to it. everywhere NEEDS a/c it's not even a question there.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 4:07 pm
what kind of community is the YI? hemish, modern?
What kind of jobs are available?
How is kosher food availability?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 5:13 pm
I'm bumping a dead thread but if anyone is interested in moving to houston there is a website that has lots of information regarding this
relocatehouston dot org

another source of info is the jewish houston yahoo group (google it)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating