Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Chores

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 7:38 pm
My kids leave home 7:40 am and don't get back until almost 5. I think it's important for them to have chores but how can I fit it in with baths supper etc?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 8:22 pm
Let their daily chores be cleaning up after themselves and keeping their room clean-that is a big enough job. They can do specific chores on weekends like setting the table or putting away the laundry..

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 9:00 pm
I'm talking about self-help activities. We have tried chore cards (they worked, on and off for about four months) we have tried charts (worked on and off, for six months). Honestly, I think that by the time they get home they are just too tired to keep it up on a regular basis.
As for weekends, we have none - 2 of my big kids are in school on sundays (one until the usual time, the other until 2). the little ones are my biggest helpers just now, and they've got energy to spare.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 7:38 am
What time do they go to sleep? Do they have homework to do at night?

I think chores that don't necessarily take extra time but that help them feel like they're part of the family, helping out, are key here. Things like putting their clothes in the hamper, making sure their room is straightened up before they go to bed (if they don't have time to clean up much, well they shoudln't have time to make much of a mess!), putting their dishes in the sink after dinner and maybe helping to clean off the table after dinner or set it beforehand, things like that.

They can also be in charge of helping in the kitchen on Shabbos before, during, and after meals.

I think that if you really, really want to institute more chores than those, choose only one weekly chore for each child and designate a specific time that they do it. Too much more than that would really be overwhelming.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children