Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone know South Bend, Indiana?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 8:43 pm
DH and I looked into the community and it sounds like something we would be interested in. It's small, a mix of all kinds of yidden, has schools, mikva, kosher food and opportunity for kiruv.
I have 3 serious questions.

1)What is the cost of living there? How much would we need to make a year for a small family (2 adults, 3 kids)? Insurance costs? tuition costs? kosher food costs?

2)What job opportunities are there? We would both work (if there is good childcare) but what can we do? Neither of us have degrees but both have years of experience. Dh has worked in a outreach program/mossid for years (teaching, writing, marketing) and I have administrative and teaching experience. Can we make it? How can we find jobs?

3)Is it really self sufficent or does it rely on Chicago and other neighboring cities for some needs?

Thanks so much!!!

indianamom5

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 1:23 am
I can get you in touch with someone who is involved with trying to bring in new families to South Bend. If you PM me I can get you that info.
I love it here tho!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 3:24 pm
I know this is an old thread but Indianamom5 can you give me more information. What does it mean someone that's involved in trying to bring new families? We are looking into communities now and would like to get as much info as possible. thanks.

Sherri

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 3:26 pm
There is an Imamother member who moved there recently, too.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 7:09 pm
The community is actively trying to grow and a few new families just moved in recently.
PM Indianamom for the contact info for a local who works in trying to connect people with jobs and opportunities.

Your food costs will vary based on what you buy. Do you keep cholov yisroel? There are families there that do keep CY, but it does increase costs. Chicago is not far and many people do bring back some food from there because it can be cheaper. It is possible to never go to Chicago and just buy local, but people go to Chicago anyway. There is a local kosher store and the regular grocery store has chicken, meat, cheese, bamba.

Not sure what you mean by insurance costs. Do you mean health insurance? It will vary and hopefully you will have through work.

It's hard to answer your question about jobs and your best bet is to be in touch directly with people in the community and start from there.

It's a very warm community and the there are very nice and affordable homes to buy in the Jewish community.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 8:47 pm
Your food costs will vary based on what you buy. Do you keep cholov yisroel? There are families there that do keep CY, but it does increase costs. Chicago is not far and many people do bring back some food from there because it can be cheaper. It is possible to never go to Chicago and just buy local, but people go to Chicago anyway. There is a local kosher store and the regular grocery store has chicken, meat, cheese, bamba. [/quote]

While it is true that people go to Chicago, please be aware that the frum neighborhoods of Chicago are around 2½ hours from South Bend.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 8:54 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Your food costs will vary based on what you buy. Do you keep cholov yisroel? There are families there that do keep CY, but it does increase costs. Chicago is not far and many people do bring back some food from there because it can be cheaper. It is possible to never go to Chicago and just buy local, but people go to Chicago anyway. There is a local kosher store and the regular grocery store has chicken, meat, cheese, bamba.

While it is true that people go to Chicago, please be aware that the frum neighborhoods of Chicago are around 2½ hours from South Bend.[/quote]

That's correct, though driving on a Sunday it can be 2 without speeding. It's 1 1/2 to Chicago and then to the Jewish area depends on traffic and what Jewish area.
You don't need to go to Chicago, but people often do to visit friends or for a simcha or as a day trip and then buy some stuff in balk.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 9:21 pm
Thank you all for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

Can you tell me what kind of people live in South Bend? Are there any Israelis? What are the school options for girls?

indianamom5

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 9:24 pm
PM me if you need any info-I don't like posting names and numbers online in a public place. Let me know if you have any other questions, but there is someone living here who's job description is community growth, or something like that, and I am sure that he is happy to help as well.
Good luck, and let me know if you need a place to stay for shabbos Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating