Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tuition scholarship - is it worth it?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 6:58 am
I received a scholarship for dc's tuition. The scholarship is only for $50.00. It appears the building fund is waived which is $500.00. It is unclear if the dinner is waived which is also $500.00. The scholarship carries a $300.00 commission obligation for chessed dollars. Does this mean I have to spend $10,000.00 in chessed dollars? I have a small family plus I tend to shop for the best prices. I spend maybe $5000 annually in stores which take chessed.

I would like to sort this out before talking to the school.

spinkles

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 10:57 am
For the chesed dollars, some people find people who aren't in the school (singles, bubbies) who shop at those stores, and trade them some of their chesed dollars for cash. I don't know if I explained that right, is it clear? When I was single people were always asking me.

spinkles

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:00 am
But imo it would be hard to trade $5,000 worth of chesed dollars.

What would your commission obligation be without the scholarship?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:09 am
chana_f wrote:
But imo it would be hard to trade $5,000 worth of chesed dollars.

What would your commission obligation be without the scholarship?

I did not have one before. I am saving $550.00 for sure; but I am not sure if it is worth it to incur higher costs by buying goods with chessed dollars.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:14 am
For a scholarship of $50 you have to use $10,000 worth of chesed dollars?

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:26 am
I think it's a typo, it seems like she needs to spend $10,000 chessed dollars to get a $550.00 reduction.

It doesn't sound worth it to me, but I cannot be the judge of your financial situation.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:40 am
lamplighter wrote:
I think it's a typo, it seems like she needs to spend $10,000 chessed dollars to get a $550.00 reduction.

It doesn't sound worth it to me, but I cannot be the judge of your financial situation.

It might be a typo in the cover letter I received. In the contact they left out the building fee. The building fee was not mentioned in the cover letter. Unclear is my obligation for the dinner. This was also left out in the contract; but replaced with an unclear obligation.

I need to sort this out. I pay higher prices in the Yiddish stores which take the chessed dollars. I don't spend the kind of disposable money they expect.

My husband says it is an additional $5000 a year in incremental spending in Yiddisha stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics