Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
New Pots - Any advice?!?

member123

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 12:25 pm
Hi Everyone!

We are looking to buy a complete new set up pots. Very Happy I am very excited, but do not know anything about pots at all. This is a big expense so I would really like to try to make sure I get the right set. Any advice?

Thanks!

mvp

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 12:36 pm
The thicker the walls, especially on the bottom of the pot, the better it is for cooking.
The best pots are super heavy (and super expensive)
I took a set of calphalon. They are pretty heavyweight compared to some other ones, but not a chore to maneuver.

Non-stick coating though easy to wash is said to have some health hazards, so I have plain stainless steel aside for a few frying pans.
There are now some specially made nonstick pans that are supposedly safe - they have them at some health stores, and I just got a good one at marshals.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 1:05 pm
I like cast iron (heavy and expensive. I got some calphalon pots as a wedding gift, they're great) and stainless steel. if you're investing in pots, I imagine you want them to last. non-stick pots and pans last about three years max, and that's if you're careful to never use metal utensils in them. (I suspect most husbands are the ones to break those rules Smile ) I really like my cuisinart stainless steel set, and it wasn't really that expensive as sets go. you can often find them on sale for about $150 for the whole set. the trick with pots and pans that are NOT nonstick is to heat the oil in them well before adding any other food to the pot. heated oil is pretty much its own nonstick coating. obviously you don't need to do this to boil anything.

I also have a set of korkmaz stainless steel pots and pans. they're fine, but I don't like them quite as much as cuisinart. I find their lids are harder to clean because they're glass with a metal rim. things get stuck between the glass and metal. the cuisinart lids that I have are stainless steel, much easier to clean.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 1:42 pm
tramontina all the way!

ray family

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 1:54 pm
depending on your budget look at cuisinart, calphalon
cast iron is amazing but very expensive

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 3:54 pm
You might be better off not buying a set. I find other sizes & shapes much more convenient.

DK

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 7:30 pm
Farberware stainless steel. I have been happy with them for years.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 8:02 pm
GreenPan.........totally expensive....but amazing never found anything better
Sold on HSN only
Sometimes they have deals!

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 8:56 pm
I have Le Creuset which are cast iron. They are incredible for uniformly cooking food. I am so happy. They are about fifteen years old and in great condition.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 9:41 pm
If you have a gas cooktop consider tri-ply construction: aluminum sandwiched between layers of stainless including going up the sides. For electric, encapsulated aluminum on the bottom only also can be good.

I have several pieces of Cuisinart Multi-clad, a tri-ply construction. And I recently purchased few frying pans by Regal: American Kitchen that are very good quality and made in the USA.

Iron is terrific for specialty pieces like griddles and Dutch ovens but is very heavy and rusts easily if not coated with enamel.

okeydocke

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 9:47 pm
farberware are totaly not so good last few years
as far as cuisinart they have many diff. pot sets, some are better than others, you should look for multi clad which are the best.
calpholon are great, they have hard anadized, which are non stick inside and out, its the non stick that is healthy type (meaning it doesnt come off like teflon does) a very important thing to look for is it should be thick and heavy. I work with pots all day so I know the line
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics