Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I got fired my first friday :(

Tweedy

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:33 pm
I am so hurt. 20 mins before shabbos they called me to tell me that they dont want to continu my contract as I am not commited to work 8;30 am til 5 pm. Its winter here now and shbbos comes in around 4;30pm. I told my manager before I signed my contract and he said it should be fine and gave me the contract. On friday the big boss came back from her bussiness trip and said NO. They called me 20 mins before shabbos to tell me not to come back on Monday. I was so confused and cried my eyes out. They said all these days coming up (yom tov) and friday early finish (just for the winter) will cost the business a lot of money.

I know Hashem has his own plans and everything happens for a reason.

JUst wanted to get it out Sad

morah

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:38 pm
Wow. That sounds like what my great-great grandparents were told when they first came to America...

I'm sorry for what happened. If it makes you feel any better, it's not worth working for people who will feel resentful of your early Fridays. Better to find people who will not only accommodate it, but be gracious about it. Hatzlacha, I hope you find a new position soon!

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:41 pm
if you are in the usa you can sue for discrimination.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 7:44 pm
octopus wrote:
if you are in the usa you can sue for discrimination.

she said it's winter and shabbos comes in at 4:30, I doubt she is in the U.S.

Tweedy, it must be so hard but be strong that you are doing the right thing. I echo what morah said, that if it will be a constant state of resentment, it wouldn't be a proper work environment anyway.

Hatzlacha! And may Hashem show you the reason for this soon so that you may easily get over it.

observer

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:08 pm
Yes, it really does sound like our great grandparents when they first came to America. I feel soo bad for you. If you think you can pull the discrimination card and still work there on good terms, try that.

Otherwise, you should just know that you get soo sooo much s'char for sacrificing for a mitzvah. I've discussed this topic with my husband (not about shabbos specifically but about other mitzvos) and he explained that even if it's a mitzvah that you would never consider violating (like you would never keep the job and work on shabbos), you still get an unbelievable amount of s'char for sacrificing for it. You're earning big up there!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:12 pm
It is difficult. That is part of the reason why so many frum girls in U.S. train to be therapists and nurses, so as not to have to work on fridays.

I have a friend in U.S. who got paralegal certificate but did not land a job as paralegal because cannot work overtime on Fridays. If they need someone for those hours, it's not discrimination.

Good luck.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jan 06 2016, 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 9:06 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
It is difficult. That is part of the reason why so many frum girls in U.S. train to be therapists and nurses, so as not to have to work on fridays.

I have a friend in U.S. who got paralegal certificate but did not land a job as paralegal because cannot work overtime on Fridays. If they need someone for those hours, it's not discrimination.

Good luck.

Nurses and therapists have this issue too.

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope you find a better fit quickly.

ElTam

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 9:34 pm
OP, so sorry this happened. There are understanding bosses out there. I live in the midwest and Shabbos does come in at 4:30 or so in the dead of winter. My husband's bosses see him putting in extra hours during the week, evenings, Sundays if needed. Yom Tov and Shabbos are never a problem because they value him.

Please G-d, you should find a good situation soon and I'm sorry this happened.

marina

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 9:46 pm
You should contact an attorney in your area. Australia has discrimination laws.

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/......html

If you read this carefully, you can lodge a religious discrimination complaint, which goes through federal agencies, apparently.

also see here http://www.eoc.wa.gov.au/compl......aspx

sorry if I got the country wrong, just sounds like australia Smile

marina

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 9:46 pm
the above is not legal advice.

hila

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 1:14 am
It wont happen in your next country iyH .... Smile
Most offices dont work fridays at all

Tweedy

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 1:24 am
hila wrote:
It wont happen in your next country iyH .... Smile
Most offices dont work fridays at all

haha hila thats true Very Happy that's probably another sighn that we should leave quickly. But that last year that we here was hoping to save for the move Sad

Hashem has a plan for me so let's wait and see why I got this job, just to loose it the same week.

thanks for the chizuk you lovely ladies . Yes it's Australia Marina. I will look into it , thanks for the sites. dh trying to contact all the jewish lawers but not sure if there is much they can do.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 1:28 am
When your manager told you this arrengement was okay, did he put anything in writing? Do you have an email to this effect?

Rodent

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 3:55 am
Good luck tweety. Unfortunately it's not so simple to go for discrimination but I wish you the best of success.
My husband has had issues with jobs for similar reasons and I KNOW they were illegal (and government which makes it even WORSE!) but it is incredibly difficult to do much about and we were advised by a lawyer friend that it would not be worthwhile Sad In retrospect I wish we had ignored the advice because I have more knowledge of some of the laws now and it was a clear case of indirect discrimination which is illegal in NSW under Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO). I don't know what state you're in and it may be different given your circumstances but I wish you all the success, it's really hard Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics