Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Lessons from Ramadan

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 9:25 am
Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting, prayer and introspection starts today.

When I listen to Muslims discuss Ramadan, they do so joyously. Even though they have 30 consecutive days of dawn to sunset fasting, sometimes in the summer heat with the longer days, I have never heard a Muslim complain about it. They go into it as a time to bring themselves closer to HaShem and to show their dedication. On the recent TLC show "All American Muslim", they show a high school football team that is mostly Muslim that goes through daily training in August, and even their first game of the season, while fasting. They take it in stride and don't stop pushing themselves.

I know personally, when I think about fasting, I don't feel inspired. I feel worried, preemptively cranky, etc. I spend the fast counting how long until it is over, and I am in a bad mood. I don't know if others feel the same way, but this is a standard way of going through fasts for me

This year, as we go into the 9 days and Tisha B'av, which will be part of the way through Ramadan, I will try to harness the positive and G-d-fearing mentality of my Muslim friends to see the true meaning of the reason behind the fast.

mimivan

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 10:23 am
Yes, this is very interesting...I had a Muslim friend in grad school who said Ramadan was her favorite time of year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational