Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Seudah Hamafsekes this year?

Chalomatok

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 9:43 am
Do we eat a seudah hamafsekes this year, as it's going to be Shabbos afternoon?
I'm sure we eat something, obviously before the fast we want to eat Smile but is it considered like a seudah hamafsekes, or just a regular meal? and can we make it into like a nice meal, invite people over for it and things like that?

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:10 am
This question came up in my family, and the answer was that there is no seuda mafsekes, only regular shalosh seudos. No eggs with ashes, but the meal has to end by shkiah.

I'd think we don't make it especially fun with a ton of especially invited guests. But we weren't talking about that.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:29 am
Regular seuda shlishis.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:34 am
seuda shlishis - but I think it has to end earlier then you would normally end.
Any ideas what to make?
I was leaning toward making the brown rice stew and meatballs in a crockpot posted on here because eating brown rice helps me fast. But my dh was nervous the meat may be too heavy, so I want to do brown rice and chicken. I just need a recipe.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:34 am
You are permitted meat, wine, zmirot. It's still Shabbat.

goodmorning

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:36 am
The Mishna Brura (552:10) cautions that even though the halacha is that one may eat meat and drink wine and put on his table "afilu kisi'udas Shlomo bi'eis malchuso" - even so, he should sit sadly, "vilachein, lo yeisheiv bisiudas chaveirim" (and therefore should not sit in a meal with friends).

So I'd guess that nice things, yes, special company, no.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:52 am
Sky, you can make a chicken and rice salad. (add lettuce, mayo, avocado.) I think anything in the crockpot will be heavy.

Chalomatok

Post Sat, Jul 21 2012, 7:51 pm
Raisin wrote:
Sky, you can make a chicken and rice salad. (add lettuce, mayo, avocado.) I think anything in the crockpot will be heavy.

Wouldn't you want a heavy meal though, to "last longer" so to say? In my experience, eating lots of bread before a fast always helped me fast better. I actually also once saw an article or something about a study done on pre-fasting foods (like proteins vs carbs, and maybe there was a 3rd option, cant remember), and im pretty sure the conclusion was that it's best to eat a meal higher in carbs before a fast.

Raisin

Post Sat, Jul 21 2012, 9:08 pm
Carbs and fat together are good before a fast, I think.

I'd prefer a hot meal myself, but maybe not cholent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note