Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Court Reporting Jobs - NY

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:38 pm
Does anyone know if there are jobs in NY for court reporters?

I am thinking of going to school for court reporting, but someone told me she knows a court reporter who has not worked in the last six months. Is this true?

syrima

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:39 pm
I have a friend who does this in NY. You can PM me.

reportrmom

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 1:32 pm
I am a court reporter by training. I worked for around ten - twelve years. I have been home the last few years with babies, so I am out of the field a while and don't know what the job situation is currently. I do want to say, though, do not shell out a lot of money for school if you don't have the time and dedication to PRACTICE! School is not enough and most people who start drop out after a while because they don't have the time or dedication to practice. Practicing is the only way to get your speed up. I did it at 19 when I had no responsibilities. I don't know if I would have been able to do it while being married with children.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 1:57 pm
Can you please just ask your friend if there are jobs or if the field is slow? I have heard that some girls are not getting jobs now and I want to verify this.

Chloe22

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 2:03 pm
Go to nycourts.gov and click on careers link on right. Right now there are no court reporter jobs listed.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 2:07 pm
My sister has a court reporting degree and she does not have a job in that field. She has to do internship before she can even get a job and either they pay nothing or not enough, so she's working elsewhere in the meantime. It's not easy.

reportrmom

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 2:26 pm
No jobs in the courts does not necessarily mean anything. I never worked in court. There may be plenty of freelance jobs available or it may be slow. You need to speak to someone currently working.

My dad has been a reporter for thirty years. And he has some work lately but its been slow. It may depend on how much you want to work. Also a beginner isn't the same as someone working many years. And things may be different in two or so years when you will be done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics