Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
If you were given a heter not to fast...
1  2  Next

were you told to eat/drink normally or w/ shiurim
shiurim  
 2%  [ 2 ]
eat/ drink normally  
 97%  [ 79 ]
Total Votes : 81

myfriends715

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 4:03 pm
strange. 5 yrs ago I was 7 months pg w twins and rav said to not fast and eat and drink regualrly . now im 37 weeks and dr said I cant fast for various reasons and rav said ok but to eat and drink w shiurim. I found it odd cuz the fast is nidche this yr so im surprised hes being so strict. plus I was actually under the impression that he didnt hold that one must do shiurim on 9 av, only yom kippur.

so if you have a heter not to fast is it w/ shiurim or not?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 4:09 pm
It's a machlokes if there is such a thing as shiurim for TB>

Liba

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 4:13 pm
I have always been told that there is no inyan of shiurim on Tisha B'Av. I was told to eat normally.

My SIL on the other hand, when she has been given a heter to eat, has always been told to fast with shiurim.

ChaniH

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 5:42 pm
Last year I was 7 months preg and my dr told me no so I called a rov and he said eat normal

peppermint

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 5:52 pm
did you ask the same rav both times?

myfriends715

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 8:39 pm
peppermint wrote:
did you ask the same rav both times?

Yea that's the weird part, Dh will ask him again on shabbos

SingALong

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 9:07 pm
Maybe since fasting is more precarious during the 7th month than at 37 weeks? I'm just guessing, not sure, but I heard that fasting can trigger labor, so in the 7th month, yeah eat normal but by 37 weeks if you go into labor maybe it's ok.

Pandabeer

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:07 pm
SingALong wrote:
Maybe since fasting is more precarious during the 7th month than at 37 weeks? I'm just guessing, not sure, but I heard that fasting can trigger labor, so in the 7th month, yeah eat normal but by 37 weeks if you go into labor maybe it's ok.

that;s the reason why you don't get an hetter not to fast
at 37 weeks, baby is at it term. in the 7th month baby is considered in danger if born then

tuttifruttio

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 12:22 am
I was 9 months pregnant and got a heter to break my fast if I felt too weak (no shiurim, just eat). interestingly enough, I fasted the whole thing! I guess its psychological knowing I could eat if I really wanted/needed to.
the human brain is an amazing specimen!

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 1:04 am
With ds 13 years ago I was in my 9th I was told to fast but stay in bed.

now I'm after 2 surgeries and pretty diziiy the rav told me I should start fasting and if I don't feel well I should eat normaly.

these were 2 diff rabonim I asked.

and yes yom kippur is much more chamor

ima_dina084

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 1:09 am
I would call and get his reasoning just to know- tgen update us

shabri

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 2:07 am
I'm 6 weeks pp nursing full time and also have 3 other kids under 5. Not sure if the other kids was a factor. I was told not to fast. When I clarified and asked if I should try to fast he said no, just eat

myfriends715

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 5:56 pm
ima_dina084 wrote:
I would call and get his reasoning just to know- tgen update us

DH spoke to Rav again today, he said that since me going into labor isnt a concern (I got a heter cuz dr wants me to drink due to low amniotic fluid) rav said to start w shiurim cuz thats better but if I will find it difficult or need to drink more then I can switch to regular.
when I was 7 months pg w the twins even the slightest thing could have put me into labor and therefore he never even told me to start w shiurim.

buzz

Post Sat, Jul 28 2012, 8:57 am
shabri wrote:
I'm 6 weeks pp nursing full time and also have 3 other kids under 5. Not sure if the other kids was a factor. I was told not to fast. When I clarified and asked if I should try to fast he said no, just eat

I am also almost 6 weeks pp, have 4 kids under 5 and nursing full time, however in a yr that is not nidche I doubt I woukd get a heter.. What do you think?

In the kitchen

Post Sat, Jul 28 2012, 6:13 pm
buzz wrote:
shabri wrote:

I am also almost 6 weeks pp, have 4 kids under 5 and nursing full time, however in a yr that is not nidche I doubt I woukd get a heter.. What do you think?

if you are nursing you would probably get a heter. I haven't fasted a tisha b'av yet since marriage because I was always pregnant and/or nursing. If you aren't nursing it is probably a different story...but 6 weeks postpartum could also be difficult after a c-section...anyhow there are many factors and personal details to each shaila.

Peanut2

Post Sat, Jul 28 2012, 10:59 pm
That is so strange. I was once told to drink, not eat, and not due to any personal medical condition.
I, actually it was we, were told to drink as much as we need to. No shiurim.
But not to eat, which was not really a concern.

shabri

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 7:54 am
buzz wrote:
shabri wrote:

I don't know about your rav, but I only got a heter because it's a nidcheh. I was once 5 weeks pp on tisha biav and had to fast

shev

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 11:03 am
shabri wrote:
buzz wrote:
shabri wrote:

I don't know about your rav, but I only got a heter because it's a nidcheh. I was once 5 weeks pp on tisha biav and had to fast

My rav is very meikil with fasting I was abt 5 months pp and I was told not to fast last year. But it could be cuz I live in Israel a lot of the rabanim here are much more meikel abt not fasting.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 11:24 am
The fast is derabanan, why shiurim? I've never heard of such a thing!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 11:31 am
freidasima wrote:
The fast is derabanan, why shiurim? I've never heard of such a thing!

I also didn't know. Still many rabbanim say so.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note