Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
New Haven, Conneticut

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 9:54 am
My husband and I are going to be in the area tomorrow. We are looking to combine a business trip with some fun time with our children.

My kids do not like museums so the Children's Museum is not an option. I love historical sites and museums. Any information about a fun engaging activity while they are learning is welcome.

I also need info on Kosher restaurants in the area.

Thank you in advance.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 10:40 am
I know of four New Haven restaurants under kosher supervision. Depending how strict you are on kashrut, you may not be comfortable eating in all of them, or you may just choose to avoid certain items in certain ones. If you are picky about hashgacha, hescherim, I suggest contacting someone local to find out specifics.

1) Claire's Corner Copia (vegetarian, dairy): http://www.clairescornercopia.com/

2) Edge of the Woods (vegetarian, dairy): http://www.eotwm.com/pages/home.html
Grocery with cafe attached. The grocery has many kosher products but also has unkosher items. The cafe is under supervision.

3) Slifka Center (dairy lunches, meat dinners): http://slifkacenter.org/slifka-dining
May not be open in the summer.

4) JCC Cafe: never been there, don't know much about it. Think it's dairy.

FYI: Claire's and Edge offer many options for vegans and the gluten-free, including baked goods.

Also: there is Chabad. I don't know if they offer takeout services or anything like that to people who are just passing through.

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 11:01 am
Thank you. Which restaurant has the best food in your opinion?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 11:12 am
It's totally subjective, but I prefer Edge for baked goods and Claire's for food, especially their creamy pastas. At Slifka, I think the lunches are sometimes extremely good, like restaurant quality, but dinner is usually mediocre.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 11:16 am
Also: I am not gluten-free or vegan so I avoided most of those items, assuming that they would not taste as good as the regular kind. However, I did once buy a vegan gluten-free cupcake by mistake at Edge and it was surprisingly decent, even by regular standards. But not so much that I would buy it instead of a regular one on purpose.

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 11:17 am
Thanks very much.

STovah

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:09 pm
I don't remember how far it is from New Haven, and I guess it also depends on how old your kids are, but my we had a great time at the submarine museum in Groton.

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:18 pm
STovah wrote:
I don't remember how far it is from New Haven, and I guess it also depends on how old your kids are, but my we had a great time at the submarine museum in Groton.

Thanks. If I remember correctly that is on the way to The Cape from NY. We will be going later in August. Great idea for a stop on the way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics