Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Darchei noam in rbs
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 2:17 pm
Anyone know anything abt it?

5*Mom

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 3:44 am
You might get more responses if you ask specific questions. What would you like to know?

chani8

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 4:20 am
Is that Rabbi Danny Myers cheder?

5*Mom

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 5:51 am
Yes

ETA: Actually, he is the menahel but he doesn't actually run the school. It was started by a group of parents and though they stay very much behind the scenes, they run the school and approve admissions.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:35 am
OP: whats the hashkafa? who goes there? whats the reputation? percentage of americans?

chani8

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:39 am
Rumor that it's a good school, high academics, nice families.

Is it Chardal?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:49 am
they market themselves as middle of the road, like american yeshivish, but ime what goes on in the classroom is charedi. (my kids don't go there but many of my friends sons do.) I've been a little shocked by some of the things I have heard come out of their kids mouths- things the rebbeim have said, etc. That being said, people seem extremely happy with it. They are also beginning to be much more selective with the type of family they take- in the beginning they seemed a little more open.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:52 am
Previous amother eta that I don't identify as chareidi or yeshivish, so that's why I find it shocking.... But if that's how you identify you might really like it Smile

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 7:43 am
How does it compare to magen avot?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 13 2012, 11:30 pm
bumping this thread because I would likie to find out more about this school in advance of my possible pilot trip later this year.
isn't rabbi myers the rav of a shul also? from the shul's website, it seems to be not so chareidi, so now I am wondering why the school is more chareidi? anyone know more about it? also wondering if there really is sucha big mix of people davening in his shul and what other shuls are like it ie, not chareidi officially, but welcoming to all?
TIA

ray family

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 12:22 am
I don't send there.
my friends who do are more chareidish than those who send to magen avot.
they seem to be a close knit unit. the kids who go there seem to be happy and enjoy school.
the parents who I know that send there are all happy.
good academics.
very american. I would say under 5 israelis per class (some more like 1 or 2)

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 12:26 am
hi rayfamily
\
so you would say that it is more chareidi than magen avot? uhoh,not for us then I guess. how come though? the principal's shul does not seem to be so chareidi, is he chareidi or not>?
Thanks

ray family

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 2:32 am
I don't think it's majorly more chareidi. only slightly. it's modern american yeshivish.
it doesn't hurt to take a look.
I don't know who the principal is. I'm talking about the 3 families that I know send there vs the families that I know that send to magen avot.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 5:17 am
amother wrote:
bumping this thread because I would likie to find out more about this school in advance of my possible pilot trip later this year.
isn't rabbi myers the rav of a shul also? from the shul's website, it seems to be not so chareidi, so now I am wondering why the school is more chareidi? anyone know more about it? also wondering if there really is sucha big mix of people davening in his shul and what other shuls are like it ie, not chareidi officially, but welcoming to all?
TIA

AIUI, school policy and admissions is run by a group of parents, not by the principal.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 10:36 am
thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.. what exactly does it mean that the parents run the school??? I never heard of htat before

amother

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 12:35 am
this is a different amother!
I am also loooking into darchei noam.

could someone please explain - the nbn webite calls it chareidi, the principal is the rav of a non-chareidi shul, this does not make too much sense to me.

is darchei noam chareidi or is it more chardal?
in what ways does it seem chareidi and does it push a chareidi mindset onto the students?

TIA

saramalka

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 5:06 am
It is definitely not Chardal. It's American Yeshivish

Runner18

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 2:47 pm
Instead of using an anonymous forum to find out where to send your son, why don't you talk to Rav Myers yourself? He happens to be one of the most amazing Mechanchim in E"Y who is changing the whole landscape of what it means to be frum but love the land of Israel. As for the question of how he can be the principal of a Charedi school but be the Rav of a non-Charedi shul, believe it or not there are the select few in E"Y who manage to have amazing relationships with Rabbonim and people on both sides of the Hashkafa line.

Rav Myers is a highly respected Talmid Chochom and has brought amazing things to RBS.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 11:47 pm
hi this is the amother who asked th most recent question three posts ago. thnak you for yur responses, saramalka and roch.
roch I see you tried to answer my questions, I am delighted to hear such wonderful things about rabbi myers! but, I feel that you thought I was asking in a negative way. I was not. I am simply looking to narrow down the options, so that when I come on my pilot trip next week, be'ezrat Hashem, I can use my time wisely and just visit the most likely options for my family.

in fact, darchei noam is the only chareidi school that we have looked into at all, simpley becasue we know that rav myers is the rav of a not really chareidi shul, so we wre just wondering if perhaps the school was mislabelled on the nbn website. so, I guess I did not phrase my question well enough. maybe I will blame that onthe fact that I wrote my post at 12 35 in teh morning...

could you please tell me more about rav myers and what are teh amazing things htat he has brought to RBS. thank you. I am seriously looking forward to meeting him because I just arranged a meeting at darchei noam. please tell me more, because it is very important to me that we find ourselves a rav (asei lecha rav) as soon as possible if we move to RBS, and it is good to know the options.

thank you

allib8

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 10:13 pm
Hi there,

I am new here so please excuse me if I am not up on how to navigate these conversations Smile
My hubby is on a pilot trip now and really liked his visit with Rav Myers at Darchei Noam. We are still unsure of our Aliyah plans, but I wanted to know which areas the DNoam children live in? (I'm thinking re. socializing with the children on shabbos and so on). Do most of their families go to Rav Myers shul? TIA
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics