Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is this healthy?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 5:39 am
Is It healthy to sautee or fry on a daily basis?

Tova

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 5:46 am
Depends. How much oil and what type? A tablespoon or two of heart-healthy oil (ie -olive) can be great. [I saute all the time in Pam spray and as long as I stand over the pan I can get perfectly golden sauteed onions and/or stir fried chicken that's cooked through without burning.]

de_goldy

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 5:48 am
Depends what. If you're sauteeing some onions to add flavor to a dish, that's probably fine. if you're frying the main thing you eat, not ok.

freidasima

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 5:57 am
To fry in oil, any kind of oil including olive, isn't healthy use of oil. The minute oil gets heated it begins to lose any good properties it has.
Pam, BTW, as much as you are only using a bit of oil is also using petroleum and other non healthy things in the propellent. Better to put a drop of oil on a tissue and wipe the bottom of a frying pan, and then wipe that bottom with a clean tissue leaving the most miniscule bit of oil possible and not to use a high flame.

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 6:10 am
I use a non-aerosol refillable oil mister from William Sonoma.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 7:37 am
Ill rephrase my original question is it healthy to saute onions daily

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 7:41 am
amother wrote:
Ill rephrase my original question is it healthy to saute onions daily

Why not

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 8:01 am
Lol I tried Google to help open and this post came as a result LOL

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
Lol I tried Google to help open and this post came as a result LOL

Op *

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 10:40 am
Bump

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 10:47 am
You can saute without oil. Are you asking if the oil use is healthy/unhealthy or are you asking about the cooked onions?

Faigy86

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 10:48 am
What does healthy mean? As FS says, frying oil often (always?) breaks down the particles until they no longer have the health benefits that they had cold.
Will it kill you? no - unless you have a specific health issue.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 10:49 am
I saute onions with no oil at all in a George Foreman grill. It isn't so fast though. Just slice thickly (about half inch thick half rounds). I put parchment on the grill under & oven the onions for quick clean up. I cook the onions for around 15-20 minutes, then I mix them around to separate, and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 10:53 am
Op here I'm taking about sauteing for soups and/or main dishes

SS6099

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 11:44 am
Bottom line, as mentioned above a few times, sauteeing for soups and/or main dishes is fine on a daily basis as long as you don't use tons of oil. Try using Pam or 1-2 Tbsp max.
Adds great flavor. Enjoy Smile

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:37 pm
I haven't used oil to saute onions in years. I chop up between 2 and 4 lbs at a time and "saute" in a big, heavy skillet. Takes a long time but I have a whole lot, some to sample immediately with some salt and black pepper, and the rest to freeze for soup, stews, casseroles, you name it.

when the bottom layer of onions gets caramelized, I add a bit of water, smoosh it around the bottom of the skillet
to deglaze, give the whole thing a good stir to bring the top layer down to the bottom, then continue cooking and repeat as necessary so as not to lose all that wonderful caramelized onion juice. And as it happens, that makes the pan easy to clean.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 9:41 pm
zaq wrote:
I haven't used oil to saute onions in years. I chop up between 2 and 4 lbs at a time and "saute" in a big, heavy skillet. Takes a long time but I have a whole lot, some to sample immediately with some salt and black pepper, and the rest to freeze for soup, stews, casseroles, you name it.

when the bottom layer of onions gets caramelized, I add a bit of water, smoosh it around the bottom of the skillet
to deglaze, give the whole thing a good stir to bring the top layer down to the bottom, then continue cooking and repeat as necessary so as not to lose all that wonderful caramelized onion juice. And as it happens, that makes the pan easy to clean.

No oil at all? Do you just keep tossing it so it doesn't burn? sounds interesting

STB

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 9:52 pm
Yes. Don't let fat or oil reach temp above burning point. I sauté veggies almost everyday. Preferably in beef or chicken fat. Very healthy. Check out westonapricefoundation.org to find out why

montrealer

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 7:22 am
ask a nutritionist!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking