Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Shul- Pelham PArkway

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 7:05 pm
Anyone know anything about this area? What kind of community is it?

Chavelamomela

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 7:54 pm
Its virtually nonexistent. It's a dying community. My dad grew up there, and my grandparents lived there until they died/moved to nursing home.

Most people have moved out or are homebound elderly.

There is a tiny minyan in the area, but don't know much about it.

There is a lively community not too far away at the Einstein Medical School apartments, and Riverdale the most Jewish area of the Bronx and is thriving.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 2:26 am
Chavelamomela wrote:
Its virtually nonexistent. It's a dying community. My dad grew up there, and my grandparents lived there until they died/moved to nursing home.

Most people have moved out or are homebound elderly.

There is a tiny minyan in the area, but don't know much about it.

There is a lively community not too far away at the Einstein Medical School apartments, and Riverdale the most Jewish area of the Bronx and is thriving.
Wow, chavelamomela, my father also grew up there, small world. My grandparents (now not allive anymore) moved out of that area about 15 years ago when the jewish community was really growing smaller and smaller.
I would assume that the shul either has a tiny time minyan or nothing anymore. When my grandparents lived there the shul was mainly full of senior citizens, a few younger families, but not that many.

emama

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 7:46 am
Tiny. As previously stated. They are/were trying to grow the community by offering a rather large financial incentive to move there...money toward home/apt. school.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 11:21 am
I lived there a few years ago as a single person. The community is tiny. The apartments are all pre-war, but depending on each block/building they can be nice or horrible.

Definitely look into whether you can visit it for a Shabbat before you make a decision

Didi

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 12:49 pm
My Mother also grew up there, and Grandparents lived there for many years, I have a very good friend that is living there. If you need any specific information please PM me and I will pass along your information to her.

SacN

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 2:29 pm
I know a older/middle aged couple who still live there, and have davened in their little shteeble shul several times. They raised all of their kids there and feel no incentive to sell their house and move.

If you like, I can PM you their contact information so that you can call and ask someone with very firsthand knowledge of how it is there now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating