Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you drink farm fresh apple cider?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 10:39 pm
I grew up on the amazing apple cider available in my hometown, on the understanding that since the stuff we got was pasteurized "in the line" (meaning that the juice goes straight from the press into tubes where its pasteurized, usually by UV light rather than heat, and then into the jug), it doesn't need a hechsher. That kind of process doesn't really allow for the possibility of adulteration, and if it's done by UV it never really gets "cooked." I found an awesome farm in my area that has this kind of cider, that's been cold pasteurized in the line, and went home to tell my mother about it. Out of curiosity, I asked where she got this psak that this kind of cider is ok, and she couldn't remember for sure - she thought it was a certain former rabbi of ours, who is definitely an authority that I (and any guest I'm likely to have) would trust. But a friend of mine just told me that her FIL (who is a rabbi) says all cider needs a hechsher no matter what.

So I'm curious what kind of psak any of you have heard about farm fresh cider. I think I'm going to try calling the OU for info (and having DH ask our current rabbi) anyway, but I'd like to gauge what other people would do, especially if I end up getting some for the yamim tovim and have the possibility of serving it to guests.

bamamama

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 11:56 pm
I'm pretty sure that, in the mostly Yeshivish community where I used to live, everyone bought cider from all the local farms...as far as who was asked what...who knows.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 9:42 pm
anyone else? please, I really want to know!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 11:26 pm
Dh is from OOT and a BT and grew up with apple cider and apple cider doughnuts.

We asked a shaila (yeshivish rav) and regular Apple cider is ok to drink without a hechsher - fresh stuff.

nylon

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 11:04 am
That was also what I was told. 100% juice (other than grape) with no additives does not require a hechsher.

nylon

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 11:04 am
That was also what I was told. 100% juice (other than grape) with no additives does not require a hechsher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen