Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Where to buy spelt flour

pecan

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 12:47 pm
Does anyone know where to buy spelt flour in bulk, where it may be cheaper? I'm in brooklyn.

miyodea

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 5:00 pm
I'm OOT, but Purityfoods.com

They sell VitaSpelt brand products in bulk. I buy 50lb. bags of white and whole spelt flour. Even with shipping it's cheaper then buying it in a grocery store

pecan

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 10:26 pm
Thanks so much. What do you use the regular for instead of the white?

miyodea

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 11:27 pm
Anything and everything. I make challah with half white-half whole grain spelt, and anywhere I can sneak it in that DH and co. won't realize, I use the whole grain.

the chevrah

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 11:55 pm
Is spelt healthier than whole wheat flour?

miyodea

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 9:41 am
Not really. They each have their pros and cons. If you tolerate the wheat then there's no real advantage to switching to spelt unless you prefer the flavor or texture. Or just to have a variety.

pecan

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 10:01 am
Actually, spelt may be healthier than whole wheat. If you look up Dr. Marc Hyman, he talks about the wheat nowadays actually coming about through hybridization. It is not the original wheat our ancestors ate. The wheat we eat was developed not so long ago, because it was easier to cultivate and he blames a lot of health issues on this wheat which includes whole wheat.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:10 pm
Looking to buy spelt flour. I live oot. Any ideas? Purityfood.com(someone posted in 2012) isn't working anymore.
Any ideas?
I found one type in grocery but it said it was wheat. I'm trying to stay away from wheat! I think it tires me out. Any clue about all this?

4sure

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:35 pm
Not sure about oot but I buy from grain brain direct. I use there kamut spelt blend and it adapts perfectly into my regular recipes including challah and bread.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Looking to buy spelt flour. I live oot. Any ideas? Purityfood.com(someone posted in 2012) isn't working anymore.
Any ideas?
I found one type in grocery but it said it was wheat. I'm trying to stay away from wheat! I think it tires me out. Any clue about all this?

Spelt is a species of wheat...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

eagle

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:44 pm
This is by far the BEST spelt flour, and it is also sprouted which makes it much healthier. I have tried quite a few different spelt flours before finding this brand. I use this flour for everything, challah, cakes, cookies, pancakes.... my kids don't notice.

https://www.vitacost.com/one-d.....80-oz

This store is where I usually buy and I'm able to use 20% off coupons. Right now because of Corona they have been in and out of stock here. (Thankfully I stocked up at some point.)

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:59 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Spelt is a species of wheat...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

But aren't there 5 grains; barley rye oats wheat and spelt???

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:01 pm
eagle wrote:
This is by far the BEST spelt flour, and it is also sprouted which makes it much healthier. I have tried quite a few different spelt flours before finding this brand. I use this flour for everything, challah, cakes, cookies, pancakes.... my kids don't notice.

https://www.vitacost.com/one-d.....80-oz

This store is where I usually buy and I'm able to use 20% off coupons. Right now because of Corona they have been in and out of stock here. (Thankfully I stocked up at some point.)

Thanks. They're out of stock..will buy iyH once they're restocked.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
But aren't there 5 grains; barley rye oats wheat and spelt???

Food labeling is not based on halachic categories.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:42 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Food labeling is not based on halachic categories.

Of course! Just trying to understand..so is there no such thing as spelt these days that is not wheat?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:05 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Of course! Just trying to understand..so is there no such thing as spelt these days that is not wheat?

Spelt has always been a type of wheat, and has been cultivated since about 5000 BCE. The wheat you’re use to is “common wheat” which is another type of wheat. I think there’s some debate whether spelt is actually a subspecies of common wheat or whether they’re just closely related (but separate) species. In either case, they are both types of wheat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries