Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I'm curious about chat

amother

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 11:20 pm
For those of you who chat, I am curious about something. Do you have people/friends in real-life you talk to or is chat your sole/major social life?
I'm thinking: if you have a friend or two or more, you pick up the phone and shoot the breeze or whatever. But if you don't have friends....is that why you get onto chat? to have someone to talk to and socialize with?
Just wondering....

mumoo

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 11:36 pm
I've gone in chat in the wee hours when the only people up would be those that lived in Israel or Europe

It's also a place where you can get to know the nice ladies here. In forum, you get a peek into their personalities, in real time chat its a broader and more immediate picture.

I have friends. Some closer than others, 2 very close. Some are related to me. Many others fit different aspects of my personality. I like having a lot of people in my life. Each one adds something special.

Your question sounded a little snippy to me-intentional?

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 11:39 pm
Quote:
Your question sounded a little snippy to me-intentional?

Agreed.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 1:05 am
I dont understand the question. but I like being in the chatroom..
whether other ppl like that I'm there.. I'm not gonna go into that.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 1:09 am
deleted.

Last edited by yoyosma on Wed, Jan 10 2007, 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 6:07 am
I honestly don't understand why you people are taking the OP's post as a personal insult? She is curious about why different people chat, maybe she wants to better understand the people who are in there so that she can relate to them better. Maybe OP thinks chat is a waste of time and wonders why other people bother with it.

As for answering the question, I know some of the people on this site in person and chat is a cheap and pleasant way to catch up on news. Other times, I just go into chat when I'm interested in talking to new people, making new friends. By the time I get into chat (usually about 2 o'clock in the morning, Israel time), nobody I could call would be happy to chat on the phone...

Sometimes, when you get into chat, it looks like nothing is going on, even though there are a few people there, but in actual fact, people are having private conversations there which only they can see.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 8:44 am
Maybe op is posting that cause she feels lonely herself? I know that this whole Imamother thing has definately helped me release alot of emotions has helped me stay off the phone (from those who I shouldn't be talking to) and unfortunately has been addictive as well. The chat personally although I have gone on has been not so interesting. I like the posts better.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 9:11 am
OP here, whew, some of you ladies sure are a tough bunch....though Ribbi's more relaxed about such kinds of posts...

I was talking to my sister the other day and telling her that I had just been in chat. She said chat is for people who don't have irl friends. I disagreed with her and said I'd post this question in 'chit chat'. I do have friends in real life, and still, I enjoy going into chat from time to time.

Hope I've cleared up some misconceptions...

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 9:26 am
I have plenty of IRL friends & a great social life, yet when I'm in work, it's nice to have ppl to talk to without tying up the phone line (which I do sometimes too!) That's the only time I go into chat. I have friends from out of town who are on Imamother & that is the only time we get to catch up with each other.

mumoo

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
Do you have people/friends in real-life you talk to or is chat your sole/major social life?

Okay, you didn't mean anything by the question. Sorry for asking if you meant to be snippy. Clearly, the telephone is superior to both chat and forum in conveying tone of voice.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 9:49 am
I smell a judgement call as well.

miriam

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 10:08 am
I chat with real life friends in the chatroom. Other people I chat ith, I have gotten to know thru Imamother. I actually stopped going in chat because it was consuming too much of my time. I also kept getting into too many debates with people, I didn't like this.
Chat is great when it's quiet in the house and people are chatting comparing kids, ages, locations. It has its perks. I really enjoy the people I have gotten to know in chat. I chatted with people about 8 hours before I had my baby. It was so nice to talk to anonymous people and vent that I was frustrated I wasn't going into labor. As it turns out, I was very much in labor.

Also we were chatting with Jewgal84 2 days b4 she had her twins. I get a kick out this b/c it makes Imamother feel more like real life.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 11:38 am
That's a very silly generalization!

You might as well say people that frequent message boards don't have friends IRL as well.

I'm on these message boards ALL DAY LONG, and yes, I have real life friends! In fact, I've made Real Life friends from these message boards as well!

HappyPurim

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 11:56 am
I work alot on the computer all day, while I'm on the computer I dont talk on the phone, its hard for me to carry a conversation while doing other things on the computer, when your in a chat room, you can go in and out and do other stuff .

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 12:33 pm
Quote:
But if you don't have friends....is that why you get onto chat? to have someone to talk to and socialize with?

And you really think someone is going to pipe up here and say "yes, I'm a neb, I have NO friends, Imamother is my WHOLE life!!"??? Rolling Eyes

And if there IS someone here who does not have a social life and has to come 'chat' for that, dont you think you are really hurting her with your question? y'know, like pouring salt?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 12:43 pm
IF the written word carried tone of voice you'd all back off a bit....My post was written in a neutral tone of voice, not snippy or insulting at all. Tho rereading it now I could see why, in the absence of tone, you may be reading it in a negative way. My apologies. If there's any way to remove this thread, please do. If even one person gets hurt from this, it's just not worth having it here.

You touched on one of my pet peeves, labeling people with words such as neb. Neb? what's that? We're not in junior/high school so let's cut that word out. I've met my share of insecure women, women with poor social skills, depressed women; (they all have a lot of other things going for them), but I wouldn't call them nebs. Nebs is a rather judgmental word, it doesn't take into account the whole person with her positive attributes included. And if by neb you mean, 'not the most popular girl', well, how many of us are 'the most popular girl' anyway?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 1:00 pm
Quote:
You touched on one of my pet peeves, labeling people with words such as neb. Neb? what's that? We're not in junior/high school so let's cut that word out. I've met my share of insecure women, women with poor social skills, depressed women; (they all have a lot of other things going for them), but I wouldn't call them nebs. Nebs is a rather judgmental word, it doesn't take into account the whole person with her positive attributes included. And if by neb you mean, 'not the most popular girl', well, how many of us are 'the most popular girl' anyway?

Sorry, I totally did not mean it that way. What I meant is sometimes such people have low self-esteem and think of themselves as nebs. But I totally dont think so, I know many introverted people who have alot going for them, have special personalities, and are really special people. And many "most popular" girls who are... 'empty/lacking'...!

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 1:08 pm
I don't know what everyone is getting excited about here. I chat for fun and to meet people who I would never have met otherwise.

Oh, and it also helps me ignore the growing mountain of laundry and dishes each night. (major help in that area!) Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 4:41 pm
let the flaming begin . . .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics