Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Havdalah - where you put the wine after you dip your fingers

Isramom8

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 6:36 pm
We put it on our foreheads for wisdom, and in our pockets (or pocket areas) for wealth. Tonight my daughter was at a Shabbos group late, and when they made havdalah, some girls put the wine dippings on the back of their necks and on their wrists. That may be what I'd do with perfume, but Havdalah wine? Is this a Sefardi minhag?

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 6:47 pm
back of neck could be for behind the ear, but missing the mark if done hastily, (to hear only good things)

r_ch

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 7:30 pm
At the back of your neck is for the luz, they say Very Happy . I've also seen people touching that and eyes, ears to see and hear well. And body parts that are bothering them. Like one lady swore she'd patted her hurting leg and it healed shock

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 8:12 pm
yes, eyes, ears, pockets (though I think it's only men) and of course Luz bone on the back above the neck!

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 8:23 pm
Forehead, luz bone, eyes, pockets. When I'm pregnant I put on my belly too, but that's my own invention Wink

Happy18

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 8:32 pm
So interesting, we dont do this at all. Is there a source for this?

Fabulous

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 10:36 pm
We also put on where it's bothering us or we are not feeling well I.e. ear for earache etc..

DrMom

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 10:37 pm
We don't dip our fingers into our wine at all. We just drink it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 10:41 pm
DrMom wrote:

YOU drink it? I don't want get a hairly chest... (Or was it facial hair? does anyone know the source for that one?)

DrMom

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 10:47 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
DrMom wrote:

YOU drink it? I don't want get a hairly chest... (Or was it facial hair? does anyone know the source for that one?)

Sometimes I drink some. If I feel like it. We don't believe in those superstitions.

abmom

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 3:19 am
By us only the men dip. DH puts on his forehead and in his pockets. My father also puts on the back of his neck.

r_ch

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 4:42 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
DrMom wrote:

I read somewhere it's just superstition. When there's nobody else to make havdalah for a woman she should do it herself and drink the wine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note