Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Breastfeeding pillows: Boppy vs. My Brest Friend
1  2  Next

anon

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:06 pm
Does anyone have either of these two pillows for nursing? How do you like it?

Lactation consultants recommend My Brest Friend because it wraps all the way around your body to give more support. One lactation consultant I spoke to said that Boppy is the worst.

But then I was thinking that if the Brest Friend pillow wraps in the back, then you can't lean back in your chair or bed to get more comfortable. You have to sit up straight, which doesn't seem too comfortable to me.

Anyway, I'm looking for opinions, tell me what you think of your pillow...the pros and cons.

shayna82

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:11 pm
neither one was good for me, I hated them and sold them soon after. it got in the way and was a hinderance more than a help. some love them an duse them all the time.

dewyt

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:14 pm
I loved the Boppy, got it as a gift, so I dunno about the other one u mentioned. It does make sense that it would give u more support if it goes all the way around, but also the fact that u cant lie back. the boppy is gr8 for other uses too, like encouraging tummy time, when baby sits, he/she can sit "in" it and other things too. thats my opinion anyway! YAY BOPPY!!!

anon

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:21 pm
Dewyt,

with regards to actual nursing, did you find that the Boppy really relieved pain from your arms and back when nursing? Did you feel like you didn't have to hold the baby, like the Boppy was holding the baby for you?

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:27 pm
The only thing I've used my boppy for (with 2 kids) is to put behind them when they first learn to sit, in case they fall backwards!!

I have the brest friend pillow. I didn't use it much with #1, but #2 had major nursing problems, and it was a lifesaver. I didn't have to hold him while nursing so I could use both hands to guide him.

I would definitely get the brest friend as a nursing pillow. A lot of people like the boppy for other things, but I just didn't find it useful.

anon

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:33 pm
girliesmommy wrote:

I have the brest friend pillow. I didn't use it much with #1, but #2 had major nursing problems, and it was a lifesaver. I didn't have to hold him while nursing so I could use both hands to guide him.

What about the issue with leaning back. Were you able to wear it and lean back on a chair or couch, or did you have to sit up straight? I'm wondering about that comfort issue.

ceo

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:37 pm
the part that is on your back isn't really padded,so you can still sit in a chair and lean back. For me the My brest friend was a lifesaver! I got a bobby as a gift and gave it away.

dewyt

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:37 pm
yes it definitely "held" the baby for me....I could use it wherever I went...and as I mentioned it has other uses. it is also washable...which is gr8. when I wasnt using the boppy pillow, I had to lean forward and hold the baby too much, it was rather uncomfortable. I am a taller person so maybe thats why, but still......

Helani

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:53 pm
I have the boppy...I can't say it was the best, but I definitely remember typing with two hands while nursing. Mine also doubles as a toy (it's the one that has attached arches where you can hang toys), it was the perfect hight to use with the younger babies sitting in the bounces. And it worked for when they started sitting up.

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 4:28 pm
Like CEO said, the brest friend is padded in the back, but it's soft. I never had a problem leaning back, and I actually liked to keep it tight, because it supported my back while nursing.

mumof1

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 4:29 pm
I love the boppy, I can read, and type while nursing, its a lifesaver

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:22 pm
The Boppy was a great invention when it first came out. BUT the My Breast Friend surpassed it by a million!! I had a lot of trouble nursing and it made it soooo much easier. The Boppy helps too, but is not as secure as MBF. The part that wraps around your back is just flat fabric, so it doesn't get in the way at all. When you've just given birth and your back hurts from carrying baby around etc, it feels so good to sit down and strap the MBF around you it really supports your lower back. And personally, knowing that the pillow was not going to slide out at any moment, allowed me to relax more and release a lot of the tension that I would have had otherwise.

I would highly reccomend this pillow having used both types, and just rolled up towels etc. This is the way to go!

(JMHO Wink )

Squash

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:28 pm
I've tried both. Although I was not successful with nursing (duh Wink ), the My Breast Friend was a real and total life- and back saver for me! You cannot imagine the agony I went through before I got this pillow!!

The Boppy sort of sags in the middle under the weight of the baby so it's not as supportive. Also I'm very overweight and the Bobbpy did not fit around me. The MBF on the other hand, goes all around and buckles closed. It is also VERY firm so it really supports the baby and you don't have to bend over or hold the baby. It's also good for bottle feeding.

I have a Boppy that is about four years old and must've been used maybe 5 times. It's still in the original plastic cover. If anyone out there wants it, you're welcome to come get it. I live in Boro Park. PM me.

Squash

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:30 pm
I plan to go to Monsey this Motzei Shabbos, so if anyone there wants the Boppy, I can leave it at my sister's house for you.

anon

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:34 pm
Thanks for all your replies!

leomom

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:42 pm
I use a Boppy and I really love it. It's easy to grab while holding your baby and stick on you and sort of tuck around your waist (this works especially well in a chair with arms) and it feels very secure and supportive, but still soft and comfortable. I also sit at the computer with it and type two-handed while nursing, no problem.

My sister once lent me her My Brest Friend pillow (dumb name Rolling Eyes ) and I didn't like it, so I didn't use it. Once it was on it was OK but it was a two-handed procedure to wrap it & velcro it shut, and then I couldn't just toss it out of the way when the baby fell asleep and I wanted to put her down. (Also, the noise of the velcro opening would wake her...) So I had to walk with the pillow attached to me, and then it was hard to lean over to get the baby down!! I thought it was a pain. Also, since it is SO firm, it didn't seem very comfortable for the baby.

Anyway, that was my experience. I vote Boppy, or check out Cheri pillows which are smaller and maybe more versatile -- I haven't used them but I think the design is clever:

http://www.cheri-nursing-pillows.com

sunnymom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 1:49 am
I dunno, I got the boppy as a gift and couldn't quite manuever holding a hungry baby and trying to get the boppy on me and fit in the rocking chair... (with no help from dh .....) I just nurse with nothing, didn't find it helpful

girliesmommy

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 9:31 am
One more thing about MBF pillow. I have the older model with the velcro, and I agree with YY, that I had to leave the room before opening it or else risk the chance of waking the baby by ripping the thick velcro open.

They have since made a newer model with a buckle thing (clicks in place). I know that you can buy replacement covers, so I think for next time I might consider buying one of the new covers with the buckle.

leomom

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 9:39 pm
A buckle may be quieter, but how do you undo it when you want to put a sleeping baby down? Maybe they should put the buckle on the side, so you can reach it and undo it with one hand?

I like simple. I'll stick with my Boppy. Smile

girliesmommy

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 9:58 pm
The buckle is on the side. I don't know how to describe what kind it is. Basically you can open it with one hand cuz all you have to do is squeeze it and it snaps open.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics