Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Junk in our new home

imab

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 10:21 am
We just got the keys to our new house and it still has the previous owner's junk in it. Random dishes, a coffee table, a bed, a TV cabinet, sheets in the linen closet, empty glass bottles in the yard. Would you make a fuss and have them come back, or just throw it all away. Just left me with a bad taste in my mouth!

sarah613

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 10:25 am
you are always going to have that unless they are really honest. it doesnt sound like a ton so I wud just get rid of it and start making your house your own, if it was a lot I wud say make a big deal but this is not worth it and besides after the deal is done im not so sure you can even get them to come bak anyway. mazel tov.

oodlesofnoodles

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 10:27 am
Didn't you do a walk thru before the closing?
the seller left a few things in our house in unseen places and we just threw them out but if there was stuff all over I would def make a fuss! Call your lawyer asap

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 10:50 am
call your lawyer. they probably have to pay your mortgage for the days the stuff is there.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 10:56 am
not pleasant to find stuff ~ I would call them in case packing was so hard they needed to come back for these few things ... if they left it not caring you will find out in which case I would charge them for garbage disposing & having to clean up after them

but don't let it put a damper on your new home ... get rid of it & enjoy !!!

amother

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 2:13 pm
Is this a home you just bought? If so, if you already closed, you have no legal recourse. Clean it up and move on.
If you are renting, call your landlord.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 2:30 pm
Junk? I would sell it on ebay, or give it away if they don't want it.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
Is this a home you just bought? If so, if you already closed, you have no legal recourse. Clean it up and move on.
If you are renting, call your landlord.

ITA

ElTam

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 4:08 pm
Toss it and be glad it's not what we found in our new house. Teeth wrapped in tinfoil in the kitchen cabinets. (Yes, teeth.) P*rn. (Hardcore p*rn, not Playboy), some identified green powder folded up in paper (flushed down the toilet ASAP) and a few items I can't even bear to mention (disgusting, disgusting, disgusting). I wrapped everything in four layers of trashbags because I was afraid someone would see it and think it was ours and threw it out.

Oh yeah, and the loveseat in the attic that had to be chopped in half with an axe to get it down the stairs and that was filled with uncooked rice.

Houses are sold as is. You will not have any legal recourse. As a courtesy, you could say, "I found these things. You can pick them up by Monday at 5 p.m. otherwise they will be in the trash, if you feel like being nice."

Mazal tov on your new house. Don't let this give you a bad feeling about it.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 4:14 pm
ElTam wrote:
Toss it and be glad it's not what we found in our new house. Teeth wrapped in tinfoil in the kitchen cabinets. (Yes, teeth.) P*rn. (Hardcore p*rn, not Playboy), some identified green powder folded up in paper (flushed down the toilet ASAP) and a few items I can't even bear to mention (disgusting, disgusting, disgusting). I wrapped everything in four layers of trashbags because I was afraid someone would see it and think it was ours and threw it out.

Oh yeah, and the loveseat in the attic that had to be chopped in half with an axe to get it down the stairs and that was filled with uncooked rice.

Houses are sold as is. You will not have any legal recourse. As a courtesy, you could say, "I found these things. You can pick them up by Monday at 5 p.m. otherwise they will be in the trash, if you feel like being nice."

Mazal tov on your new house. Don't let this give you a bad feeling about it.

Houses are usually sold vacant and broom clean. That is why the walk through.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 5:51 pm
When we moved into our house we found several crucifixes (with full impaled body images on them) left behind on walls (one in the master bathroom!). I promptly threw them in the garbage. The next day the former owner called that they'd accidentally left some "things" and wanted them. They were very upset with what we'd done with them. I don't know if they searched the garbage or not.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 1:26 pm
when we bought our house, one of the conditions was that the old owners would stay for another month and pay us rent. fine. on the day they left I came to the house to check up, and not only did they leave all kinds of things in the house they had told all their friends to come over and take whatever they wanted from the stuff they left, specifying that the door was unlocked. so when I got there I see random strangers going through my new house collecting all sorts of things and filling their cars. Exploding anger Exploding anger
I was beyond horrified, and it was all I could do not to scream "get out of my house."
(I politely told them this is my house now, and please leave.)

I am still shaking when I think about it years later, and the next day we got the locks changed.

shoeboxgirly

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 1:40 pm
We had a condition of buying that the vendor would clear out the loft. She didn't, we were left with a mattress, an old front door, some homework from 1976 and half a pack of cards. We also got left with having to deal with the tenants of the vendor not paying their bills for two years and repeat calls from bailiffs. Nowt we can do about it.

Now it is yours it is probably time to realise that unless you were the first occupants of your house, all kinds of shenanigans could have gone on there. If it was a murder house you'd probably know, but you wouldn't know much else.

imab

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 1:50 pm
I'm realizing it is common, we asked them to take all the big stuff or we'll throw it out and the small stuff we've been throwing out each time we come to the house. Today someone is painting and already I feel better about it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette