Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Wanna know that really TICKS ME OFF???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 7:50 pm
But dahlink, what else are you going to wear to next week's retreat?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 8:00 pm
Haha, or "the perfect wig for the perfect you." We live in a consumerist society today. Buy buy buy. It's the things you have that define you as a person. It's not your personality, character, ethics, morals or thoughts. You need to have the most up-to-the-minute stuff, otherwise you're not a worthy or valuable asset to our society.

supermom!

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 8:10 pm
You wanna know what really ticks me off? People who take issue with EVERYTHING.

Go do some yoga.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 8:25 pm
Hey, everyone's allowed to take issue about some things or others. I doubt people takes issue with EVERYTHING.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 11:25 pm
supermom! wrote:
You wanna know what really ticks me off? People who take issue with EVERYTHING.

Go do some yoga.

Uch. Don't even get me STARTED on those crunchy, earthy yoga types. Namaste THAT.

ceo

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 10:47 am
I totally agree with you, OP. My husband HATES the Jewish magazines for these reasons. The ads, "you deserve it" and the articles on hiring a party planner for a kiddush....because of course, you need a huge, life size balloon in the shape of a flamingo for your parshas noach kiddush...... Rolling Eyes

Fox (poster here) has a similar issue with the Yated.

Lots of treif hashkafos in these magazines, with a yeshivishe look.

There was an ad in a magazine for a cookbook -it came out Rosh Chodesh Av. The ad said in BIG letters: "Nine Days of Delectable Dairy Delights."
I wrote a letter to the editor (it wasn't published) along these lines:

Do you think Klal Yisroel is so desensitized to the seriousness and the sadness of these days that we can't manage 9 days without "delectable" and gourmet food? f we spend the 9 Days from Rosh Chodesh Menachem Av until Tish'ah B'av focusing on how we can replace our standard fleshig fare with gourmet dairy delicacies, such as tortellini in cream sauce, crumb coated sea bass skewers, and baby cheese babka (as featured in the ad), are we really feeling the galus and the sadness of this time? When we think of the tragedies that have befallen our nation in the past 2,000 years-- never mind the tragedies of the past 10 days, including the deaths of R'Elyashiv and R' Yisrael Landsman, plus the bombing in Bulgaria-- is it really so bad to have simple meals of lentils, pasta, and tuna fish for just over a week?

cm

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 12:18 pm
ceo wrote:
I totally agree with you, OP. My husband HATES the Jewish magazines for these reasons. The ads, "you deserve it" and the articles on hiring a party planner for a kiddush....because of course, you need a huge, life size balloon in the shape of a flamingo for your parshas noach kiddush...... Rolling Eyes

Lots of treif hashkafos in these magazines, with a yeshivishe look.

There was an ad in a magazine for a cookbook -it came out Rosh Chodesh Av. The ad said in BIG letters: "Nine Days of Delectable Dairy Delights."
I wrote a letter to the editor (it wasn't published) along these lines:

Do you think Klal Yisroel is so desensitized to the seriousness and the sadness of these days that we can't manage 9 days without "delectable" and gourmet food? f we spend the 9 Days from Rosh Chodesh Menachem Av until Tish'ah B'av focusing on how we can replace our standard fleshig fare with gourmet dairy delicacies, such as tortellini in cream sauce, crumb coated sea bass skewers, and baby cheese babka (as featured in the ad), are we really feeling the galus and the sadness of this time? When we think of the tragedies that have befallen our nation in the past 2,000 years-- never mind the tragedies of the past 10 days, including the deaths of R'Elyashiv and R' Yisrael Landsman, plus the bombing in Bulgaria-- is it really so bad to have simple meals of lentils, pasta, and tuna fish for just over a week?

I don't care about the wig ads, but I am in full agreement about the Nine Days. This came up as an issue - all right, I brought it up - in my community regarding a Nine-Days gourmet dairy fundraiser, and all I got were strange looks.

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 12:24 pm
Happy18 wrote:
I dont think the ads are any different than the ones placed in secular magazines. There are plenty of ads that run saying that every woman deserves one of whatever it is.

Exactly. It's just the in phrase these days. Last week I saw an ad on a non-Jewish website telling me I deserve a new plumbing system.

cm

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 12:55 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
Happy18 wrote:
I dont think the ads are any different than the ones placed in secular magazines. There are plenty of ads that run saying that every woman deserves one of whatever it is.

Exactly. It's just the in phrase these days. Last week I saw an ad on a non-Jewish website telling me I deserve a new plumbing system.

Not just these days. This whole thread reminds me of TV ads for L'Oreal cosmetics from the 1970's.

From [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Or%C3%A9al]Wikipedia[/url] : L'Oréal's famous advertising slogan is "Because I'm worth it". In the mid 2000s, this was replaced by "Because you're worth it". In late 2009, the slogan was changed again to "Because we're worth it" following motivation analysis and work into consumer psychology of Dr. Maxim Titorenko. The shift to "we" was made to create stronger consumer involvement in L'Oréal philosophy and lifestyle and provide more consumer satisfaction with L'Oréal products. L'Oréal also owns a Hair and Body products line for kids called L'Oréal Kids, the slogan for which is "Because we're worth it too".

ETA: Can't get the link to work, but feel free to find and read the rest of the wikipedia article on your own. Sorry about that!

Factory Girl

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 6:25 pm
[quote="cm"]
ceo wrote:

iAnd you know something? Every woman DOES deserve one - in that every woman deserves to walk around looking presentable and put together. It doesn't mean that you need one of every new sheitel that comes out, but you DO deserve to look good, and a good sheitel is a very big part of that!
[/I]

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this. a woman can look very nice in other things besides wigs, she just needs to have the right taste and creativity to pull it off.

September June

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 6:31 pm
ceo wrote:

I remember Fox having an issue with a frum magazine suggesting cheap gown rentals starting at "only" $800.

ceo

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 8:32 pm
[quote="Factory Girl"]
cm wrote:
ceo wrote:

iAnd you know something? Every woman DOES deserve one - in that every woman deserves to walk around looking presentable and put together. It doesn't mean that you need one of every new sheitel that comes out, but you DO deserve to look good, and a good sheitel is a very big part of that!
[/I]

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this. a woman can look very nice in other things besides wigs, she just needs to have the right taste and creativity to pull it off.

Not sure how I ended up being quoted on something I didn't say......... Confused But, I don't think "you DO deserve to look good" is a Torah hashkafa. yes, you should look neat, and presentable, etc.....but you DESERVE to look good? Not sure where that idea comes from. We don't DESERVE anything.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 8:38 pm
I don't see what the issue is. The companies advertise so they can get customers. What do you want them to write? I see the parents magazine have like five pages of kids dressed and the clothes all have prices on the side. Same goes with their pages of goody bag- toys. They are more than half of what the readers would consider spending on clothes and toys. I still enjoy looking at them although they ain't entering my house.

Earnest

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 9:56 pm
It's not 'just' an ad. The words and attitudes of 'mere ads' infiltrate into our own (Mrs. Public) minds, and subtly change 'popular culture'. It not only condones narcissim, it encourages it. The usage of the word 'you' is divisive, for married women. It's 'us' now, baby, or 'you' in the plural. It's also mean-spirited, implying some women 'deserve' it and other women don't. And of course, 'only an ad' causes shalom bayis problems. Yechhhh. I dislike reading 'frum' magazines, they're unabashedly a marketing tool- the articles are 'pasted on' as an after-thought. Hmmm. Do ya think that narcissistic women are 'ok' with these ads, while the self-sacrificing Yiddishe mama gets irked? Is it a litmus test of sorts? Just wondering, no offence meant, I don't mean to ruffle any peacocks' feathers.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Oct 16 2012, 10:28 pm
For many people, Jewish magazines are the only ones they will bring into their home because so much of the values in secular culture is not compatable with many Jewish hashkafos. Even in a seemingly harmless parenting magazine there is lots of questionable material. So I think it's perfectly reasonable for some to feel that the promotion of consumerism, entitlement and such is not appropriate in a Jewish magazine. Even if they are ads.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:33 am
There was a symposium 2 years ago by Agudas Yisroel on the role of frum media, and one of the panelists (I can't remember who, R' Avrohom Birnbaum?) lamented the whole advertising culture that is against the hashkafos of the whole publication. The Pesach hotels and juicy steaks -- he didn't mention sheitels Wink

I have the CD if anyone is interested in borrowing it.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 12:47 pm
ceo wrote:

Bravo!!!! Well said. Such a pity they didn't publish this--but no great surprise, either. The cookbook publisher would have pulled its advertising account.

I think we need to blame not the mags and papers, that are in business to make money and will publish whatever rot the advertiser chooses to submit because ads, not subscriptions, are what pays the bills--but the advertisers themselves. Or maybe the folks to blame are the readers, who have proven to the advertisers that they lust after gashmiyus or can be seduced into wanting gashmiyus. If advertising did not generate sales, advertising would dry up.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:18 pm
I really can't figure out what everyone's problem is, this is a business and they want to make money and part of doing that is advertising. Guess what?? It's working. I don't know if anyone is specifically going to buy from them, but their name is sure getting out there Wink .

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:39 pm
It's not the proprietors themselves or the advertising that are the problem. It's the wording and values they project.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:44 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
It's not the proprietors themselves or the advertising that are the problem. It's the wording and values they project.

Are you in advertising? I'm not, so I can't tell you what sells and what doesn't, but like I said earlier, their gimmick seems to be working. Please tell me what they can write that will make them standout with the right values. Personally saying deserve is not a problem for me. I don't give into sales gimmicks or salesman. I'm really good at saying NO Twisted Evil !!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels