Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
HELP! Going to EY with 3 little kids and no experience!
1  2  Next

Ashrei

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 11:37 am
Some of you davened for our son who recently had an operation (which was successful!). Thank you. Smile Also, in his interest, we decided to take him to Israel for brachos, to daven for him at the kosel, and tap into other spiritual means for his refuah.

We bought tickets.

BUT... we have no family or solid resources there, and no clue how to get around. We're worried about being taken advantage of financially, as well as driving the wrong way into some Arab Village... that kind of thing.

We need: an apartment (w/2 cribs) somewhere centrally located, would like to go to the kevers, kosel, rabbies in ge'ula and b'nei brak
a good driving map, so we can know where ge'ula and b'nei brak actually are (we can get an idea on google maps)
a car and car seats

So:
About how much is reasonable for an apartment for 10 days?
Will I get 2 cribs? How does this work?
Where's a good location with such an apartment?
Where do we start, as far as booking one?
Any warnings?

Any tips on getting around? Renting a car w/car seats?

Any other advice? I'll keep an eye on my PMs... Thanks in advance!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 11:49 am
Ashrei wrote:
Some of you davened for our son who recently had an operation (which was successful!). Thank you. Smile Also, in his interest, we decided to take him to Israel for brachos, to daven for him at the kosel, and tap into other spiritual means for his refuah.

We bought tickets.

BUT... we have no family or solid resources there, and no clue how to get around. We're worried about being taken advantage of financially, as well as driving the wrong way into some Arab Village... that kind of thing.
We need: an apartment (w/2 cribs) somewhere centrally located, would like to go to the kevers, kosel, rabbies in ge'ula and b'nei brak
a good driving map, so we can know where ge'ula and b'nei brak actually are (we can get an idea on google maps)
a car and car seats
So:
About how much is reasonable for an apartment for 10 days?
Will I get 2 cribs? How does this work?
Where's a good location with such an apartment?
Where do we start, as far as booking one?
Any warnings?
Any tips on getting around? Renting a car w/car seats?
Any other advice? I'll keep an eye on my PMs... Thanks in advance!
Wonderful news and your son should continue to have a refuah shleyma. Have you ever been to Israel? It's really hard to just drive into a hostile Arab village, so don't worry about that. Also, have you heard of a GPS? They have that here in Israel, and I guess that's better than any map! Geula is in Yerushalayim, Bnai Brak is near Tel Aviv. They are about an hour apart by car or direct bus. Cars: you rent just as you do in any other part of the world. There are Avis, Hertz, Budget to name a few plus some local brands such as Shlomo Sixt and Eldan. Kivrai tzaddikim are, generally speaking, in the north. Towards Tverya and Tzfat. About 2.5 hour drive from Yerushalayim. Please bring a lot of money with you as Israel is a very expensive place to visit and I don't want you to be shocked. Or, make sure your credit card has a good limit. That sort of thing. Behatzlacha!

kb

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 11:52 am
I don't actually have any contacts for you, but if you're not dealing with a tight budget, you might be better off hiring a driver to take you to the gedolim, and some of them offer the added benefits of making you an appointment so you don't have to wait for hours.

I personally would never drive in Israel, even with a great map and gps. The driving here is very different than in the states - it's a different culture which is reflected on the road. I have no problem with 13th Avenue or Avenue J, and the highways in NY/NJ don't scare me at all. But the highways here really scare me!

You can rent a car and a car seat from any 'normal' car rental place though - just make sure to tell them that you want to rent a car seat, because they go fast!

Look in the Hamodia classifieds for short term rental apartments. A lot of people going away short term will sublet their apartments. I've heard that a normal price is $60 a day, but I'm not 100% sure if that's correct. (I'd call a few, see what they're charging, and take it from there.)

Ashrei

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 12:27 pm
kb wrote:
you might be better off hiring a driver to take you to the gedolim, and some of them offer the added benefits of making you an appointment so you don't have to wait for hours.

How would I find such a person?

Thanks to you both, good insight thus far. I was in Israel once when I was single for 10 days. Dh never been.

I'll also keep an eye on Hamodia bli neder.

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 1:02 pm
Most hotels will provide cribs if you arrange in advance. Short term rental apartments may have one, two would be really unusual, but maybe you could borrow a pack and play to use while you are here?

Ashrei

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 1:59 pm
We're hoping not to stay in a hotel because it would be expensive to get something equivalent to a 2 bedroom apartment, which we'd need...

We don't really know anyone. I suppose we'd have to bring a pack n play...

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 2:06 pm
Do NOT drive in center Jerusalem. Im a Native New Yorker and have rented and driven cars all over the world and I will tell you this GPS in the city center guided me to drive around Zion Square... Which is a pedestrian mall. Take taxis in the city center or WALK. Everything is walkable once youre in the center of town. Invest in good sturdy walking shoes and a decent stroller. refuah Shleima and have a safe and successful trip.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 2:22 pm
I was in israel this summer and drove for 2.5 months. it was crazy stressful, but I did get used to it.
GPS a MUST

Jlem has a great transportation system. Also taxis. make good use of them.

there is a wheelchair accessible way into the kotel plaza. access by bus or taxi
mamila mall best parking for old city

check air b+b for apartments. food is relatively cheap (to north america) and some grocery stores deliver for a small fee.

don't know about cribs, but you can ask the hosts there.

agree you should hire a guide and driver for places of specific interest like the kevers.

refuah shlemah and have a great time!

all the best

Marion

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 5:16 pm
Don't rent carseats if you can help it; it's worth shlepping your own.

ez-pass

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 5:22 pm
Check out reserve kosher.com for. An apt. I would not drive therrre. Rather hire a driver and take taxis.

Prez

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 7:53 pm
There are gemachim for car seats there, maybe you can get info from people living in E'Y currently..and call them - I don't know if they cater only to people living in Israel, or other situations as well. Same for pack n play. If you can afford it, a driver for kevarim is def ideal, and also to get you to Gedolim for Brachos..you will get places way more efficiently, and they will know where to take you. I'm sure if you do a search here you can find random info and tips on visiting. I would also suggest to you to structure your days around your kids schedules, ex- put them to bed at their reg bedtime, plan for naptime in the car if nec., etc.. It is really hard taking a vacation with cranky kids. As for apartments- it depends which area you want to be in. Once you figure that out, maybe post separately about that, if anyone knows of anything in that area- a lot of times people rent out their apartments short term if they are going abroad or away for some reason. And check out the websites mentioned here. There is a guide published in Israel called the newcomers guide- more like a phonebook really. They have a website- I don't know how helpful it will be, but check it out.- http://www.newcomersguideisrael.com/
good luck, and enjoy!

Ashrei

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:13 pm
Well, we're borderline decided on NOT renting a car and driving. A friend said her brother actually DID drive into a hostile arab village once and almost got killed.

And there are enough people here saying not to drive.

We still have 3 little kids... I could see bringing 1 car seat... Why should I not rent car seats Marion?

I don't think it's reasonable to arrive in EY and start looking for a car seat gamach... By the time we get seats, we'll be ready to leave.

So the car seats are the issue. What do we do with taxis? Or, if you say, hire a driver, does that mean we rent our car and then hire someone to drive us around? Is this affordable? Are drivers reliable?

Ashrei

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:14 pm
(by the way, will look closer into all the other advice as well, thanks to all who posted. Am open to PM's for details on anything you'd like to expound upon)

koolmother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:19 pm
check out http://www.rentalsofdistinction.com/ for apt they are really nice and affordable

as for touring u need to look into it their are organized trips or tourist guides and most of them come with their own car

enjoy

refuah sheleima for your son

sped

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:21 pm
Ashrei wrote:

So the car seats are the issue. What do we do with taxis? Or, if you say, hire a driver, does that mean we rent our car and then hire someone to drive us around? Is this affordable? Are drivers reliable?

There are lots of drivers with cars/vans that you can hire for teh day or by the hour. You can do the same with taxis. I assume caentals will probably rent out car seats only if you rent the car. Did you know you can check in car seats as free, extra luggage?

koolmother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:22 pm
check out http://www.rentalsofdistinction.com/ for apt they are really nice and affordable

as for touring u need to look into it their are organized trips or tourist guides and most of them come with their own car

enjoy

refuah sheleima for your son

Ashrei

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:23 pm
Thanks for the links too, will look into them all b'n.

By the way, what's the weather like mid-November? Suggestions on what to bring?

Also, do I need an electricity converter? Could anyone link me to one?

Liba

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:27 pm
The thing is, it isn't just the driving that is an issue, but the parking as well. You can't drive and park near the kotel for example, and much of Yerushalayim has very limited parking and you need a parking payment thing to put in your window in many areas. I don't think Bnei Brak is any better. Sadly, the parking tickets and frustration could add up really quickly.

http://www.hoffmantours.com/ is a frum company that does tours of Israel. They aren't cheap but the one we went on was excellent, the first child under four is free and additional children under four you get 50% off.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 1:55 pm
What's the weather like mid-November? Suggestions on what to bring?

Also, do I need an electricity converter? Could anyone link me to one?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 2:21 pm
My BIL drives tourists around; he's in the process of becoming a licensed tour guide. I have no idea regarding his rates. His DSL # is 845 362 5052, Moshe Braun. He probably knows how to get into some gedolim. (Tell him Chaya Braun told you about him)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions