Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what age did your child first have lice??

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:12 pm
Confused I realised yesterday that my 17 month old daughter is scratching her head with both her hands I thought she was joking. But today she did it again I saw she had lice we bh cleaned it but is it normal??

I am still in shock!

Poor little girl. I am wondering if I am the only one that had such a young child with lice!?!

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:16 pm
The lice don't ask to see your birth certificate. Scratching Head

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:24 pm
do you live in israel?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:30 pm
Nopes I live in Brooklyn.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:46 pm
Lice is mostly for younger kids.

Esther01

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:55 pm
I was nursing my 10 month old, when I noticed in her white blond baby hair, something dark. I took it out and relized what it is shock
I cleaned her few strands of hair that she had at that time and b'h it never came back (she's 4 1/2 now)
but you bet that was a real trauma to me!!!

and I have no clue where she could have caught that, because she was my only one and we were both home...

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:03 pm
Once my eldest was in playgroup and he had lice, he was just over two. I was holding my new born baby and guess what he had in his hair 2 lice. BH after taking them out he never got them back again.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:34 pm
Good for you all . . I CAN TELL YOU STORiES . . . .

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:41 pm
NEVER B"H BLI AYAN HARA!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Confused I realised yesterday that my 17 month old daughter is scratching her head with both her hands I thought she was joking. But today she did it again I saw she had lice we bh cleaned it but is it normal??

I am still in shock!

Poor little girl. I am wondering if I am the only one that had such a young child with lice!?!
Not! I check and clean heads, and have had a number of baby clients. Does your daughter have older siblings in school or playmates she could have caught it from? It's very common for a few children or even all in one family to contract it from each other.

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:52 pm
Why whenever you talk about headlice you start to itch, I'am really itching NOW!!!! Wink

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:53 pm
There was a horrible lice outbreak in my kids' school a few weeks ago.
B"H, only 2 of my kids had it, and even then there were only a few bugs.
We were very fortunate as some kids had it really bad.
Here is what we did to get of it.
Someone recommended rather than using Pantene conditioner instead of the regular chemical treatments. It works great. DH and I put a ton on the kids hair and then put it up in shower caps for over an hour. (The pantene kills the bugs.) Then we had the kids rinse their hair and used a lice comb to get everything out. That night, someone came by our house and checked the kids. B'H, it was all gone!
Additionally, we treated ALL our kids (including my 2 year old and baby!) and ourselves with the Pantene and everyone was checked, just to make sure.
One of the most time consuming things is all the laundry...all sheets, towels, blankets, and pillows must be washed. Put everything in garbage bags immediately and keep them there until you can wash them. Also, any hair ties and brushes that have been used should be sealed in a plasitc bag for 2 weeks to kill anything on them. I also wrapped up my sheitel in plastic for 2 weeks and washed it.

After a week, we did the Pantene treatment again, just to make sure everything was gone.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:13 pm
Lice consultant amother here. Pantene is good, but it does NOT kill the buggers. The way it works is by trapping the bugs, and immobilizing them. They are then "sitting ducks" for your comb, IF you use the right comb with tight enough together teeth, to get them out. If you don't comb them out, they survive. Surprised

Pantene conditioner also helps get the nits out. Nits are glued on to the hair shaft, and the conditioner slightly loosens it, making it easier to slide or really scrape off with your comb. However, the Pantene will not kill the nits, and neither will most alternative treatments. And toxic pesticide chemicals aren't what you want to put on your child's delicate head. They aren't 100% effective anyhow.

It's therefore of paramount importance to remove the nits, and comb very thoroughly, by sectioning off the hair and combing through the sections strand by strand.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:20 pm
Quote:
Then we had the kids rinse their hair and used a lice comb to get everything out
One more point, comb the lice and nits out WITH the conditioner BEFORE, not after rinsing out. Have paper towels ready for wiping the comb, and a bowl of alcohol for dipping the comb into in between swipes/wipes.(kills the lice which come out and keeps them from being put back into the hair)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 6:15 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I am still in shock!

Not! I check and clean heads, and have had a number of baby clients. Does your daughter have older siblings in school or playmates she could have caught it from? It's very common for a few children or even all in one family to contract it from each other.

No she's the only one (for now).

We put some lice shampoo on her head for little while... then we combed out all her lice (like 6 of them! shock ) then we rinsed out the lice shampoo..... After that, we put in a soup bowl a little of vinigar (spelling?) and we dipped the comb in the bowl and combed her hair some nits came out. plus we checked her head when it was dry (after her nap)....

I go to the gym everyday. and I leave her by the babysitting. she prob picked it up there!

ltlesmartmom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 6:16 pm
jewishmamathebest wrote:
Why whenever you talk about headlice you start to itch, I'am really itching NOW!!!! Wink

Same here!

It happeneds automaticaly.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 7:07 pm
Great - NOW I'M ITCHY TOO!
Once when my dd was in k lice was going around and lucky I kept checking cause one night I actually found. I learned quickly what they mean by "nit picking" didn't really get it till then. Guess who my dd like to sleep with - right on my head. Lucky I have a few good friends - they kept checking me till all was clear. I have a really thick head of hair. By the way - hair gel works amazing cause seals off the air. But we used rid/hot blow dryer/comb/gel and it was rough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics