Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What to ask/look for when investigating new apt?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 4:01 pm
We're looking into prospective new apartments and I feel very naive in this area. We go to an apartment, I look around, and think "OK, why not?" but I can't think of any intelligent questions to ask and I don't really know what I'm looking at/for. What are some things you keep in mind? (Note: We are a young kollel family with a toddler and baby looking to sublease in a co-op.)

We already looked at one apartment and DH is ready to tell them we want it (it was nothing so exciting, but it's available in a decent place at the right time for what is probably the right price, which is already pretty good in our area!) but I feel like there should be more to think about before doing that so hastily. I worry... but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to worry about!

Ashrei

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 4:10 pm
In Brooklyn? Israel?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 4:12 pm
Ashrei wrote:
In Brooklyn? Israel?
Not Brooklyn, another US big city though.

B"H YOM YOM

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 4:15 pm
Well if you were in NY, I'd say...bedbugs! A friend nearly got stuck with a co-op that had them! Thank goodness, someone who had previously lived there 'mentioned' it to her. Good luck.

wispalover

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 4:16 pm
A trick I learnt from my real estate days is to ALWAYS turn on a tap (or preferably the shower) to check water pressure. Nothing worse than discovering the pressure is terrible on an apt you are locked into a contract with.

abby1776

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 4:18 pm
Bugs, noise, smells - do you have kids - will the kids walking.crying bother the neighbors.
Who is responsible for repairs?
Who pays for utilities?

naomi2

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 4:37 pm
mold, loud upstairs neighbors

Ashrei

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 5:34 pm
How much do they expect the rent to go up year to year. How long is the lease for.
Parking if applicable.
Does it have a laundry room?
Do they send an exterminator around regularly?
Who do you call if there's a problem? (get a feel for how good they are at fixing problems)
Try to contact neighbors to learn about your upstairs and next door neighbors regarding noise levels.

hatzlacha! Smile

mommish613

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 5:36 pm
MOLD....definitely something you can't see...

momaholic

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 7:07 pm
bed bugs!

shnitzel

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 7:39 pm
You need to ask most of those questions to someone who lives in the building. In NY they need to tell you on the lease if there has been a problem with bedbugs but they often won't tell you until the lease is in front of you. The real estate agent or landlord just want your money, they won't be honest.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 8:43 pm
OP here. Thanks for all the ideas.

Do you think it's a good deal if the rent is about as low as it comes for the area, but the tenant would be responsible for any repairs or expenses or anything that comes up? Because it's in a co-op any repairs that are inherent to the building (building walls, plumbing...?) are included in the rent. The landlord is willing to rent it cheap on the condition that he doesn't get any headaches from it; he isn't living there, isn't ready to sell, and wants to rent in order to not lose money on the apartment fees and basically have the apartment looked after while he goes on with life somewhere else. If it were a private house I'd say no way, I don't want the headaches either, prefer to have a landlord who takes care of things, but because it's a co-op there is a maintenance staff included in the apartment fees.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating