Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
NEED HELP WITH THANKSGIVING RECIPES
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 8:31 am
To make a pareve pumpkin pie, use soy milk or rice dream.

As far as the turkey, we coat it in oil. with a brush.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 8:34 am
When I make my turkey, I liberally smear home made duck sauce between the meat and the skin, and bake it tightly covered with orange juice added to the pan. I don't serve the skin since it tends to be full of feathers.

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 8:57 am
Cranberry sauce

12oz fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Bring sugar and water to a boil. Add cranberries and simmer ten minutes. Mush the berries into a strainer to break them. Scoop everything up and chill in your dish.

It is quick and makes a lovely presentation and is so much better tasting than canned.

Happy18

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 9:00 am
saralea wrote:
Stuffing- I make it in a casserole dish, not in the turkey
8 c bread cubes( its a little less than a whole challah)
1 c chicken broth ( or soup)
1 egg
saute:
2 onions
3 stalks of celery
1 large can of mushrooms
1-2 cloves garlic

mix and bake covered 350 for 20 minutes

Your not supposed to make stuffing in the turkey, but bake it separately and put it in the turkey a few min before serving. Otherwise it gets over cooked and dried out. Most people dont do this so its great that you do.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 9:10 am
According to the CRC, if I understood correctly, frozen butternut squash does need a hechsher.
I'll demystify it for you: Put squash on pan, you can cut it in half or put it in as is, cutting it is tricky. (Alternatively, put it in whole, after about 10 minutes take it out, cut it, remove the seeds, and continue baking with cut side down.)
You can bake it in a 375 oven for about a half hour, press to see if soft.
Once cool, remove peel and process.
I'm sure there are handy conversions on google, of 1 10 oz. box frozen = x number of cups.

As much as you'll want to cook the family favorites, you may want to make a few nice dishes that you know will come out well.

One last thing: yes, we make Shabbos and yom tov all the time. BUT Thanksgiving is like a few meals in one. One big trick that the olam at large doesn't seem to get - using the freezer. As people here post their tried and true recipes, or you get some from family, see if any can be frozen and reheated wll.

Oh, one more last thing: maybe you'll want to make an extra kugel, casserole, etc. and put in the freezer for Shabbos. I won't go into the hashkafa of eating leftovers for Shabbos. Some people do, some don't, and anyway, you don't know what the leftover matzav will be. You'll go into Thanksgiving less stressed if you know you have some of Shabbos in the freezer.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 9:17 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Does anyone have a stufing recipe that uses bread?

and at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot HOW exactly do you cook a turkey.
Mine is 15 pounds.
The recipes all seems to call or warm butter smeared all over the turkey.
Do we use margarine?

I have used margarine. Tasted good, as long as you''re not anti-margarine. Also, I wrap th turkey in cheesecloth for most of the cooking time. It keeps the turkey from drying out. I just remove it towards the end to let the turkey crisp a little.

3mitzvos

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 9:33 am
Cranberry sauce:

1 can whole cranberry sauce (not jelled)
1 can crushed pineapple (with juices)
1 can Mandarin oranges

Mix together and enjoy!

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 9:36 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
ValleyMom wrote:
Thanks everyone.

and at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot HOW exactly do you cook a turkey.
Mine is 15 pounds.
Do we use margarine?

I have used margarine. Tasted good, as long as you''re not anti-margarine. Also, I wrap th turkey in cheesecloth for most of the cooking time. It keeps the turkey from drying out. I just remove it towards the end to let the turkey crisp a little.

anti-margarine people can use olive oil.

skcomputer

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 9:47 am
Squishy wrote:
Cranberry sauce

12oz fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Bring sugar and water to a boil. Add cranberries and simmer ten minutes. Mush the berries into a strainer to break them. Scoop everything up and chill in your dish.

It is quick and makes a lovely presentation and is so much better tasting than canned.

For a thicker cranberry sauce, I reduce the amount of sugar (to 1/2 to 3/4 C) and after this boils and cooks for about 15 minutes, I stir in red jello and put in fridge to set.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 11:50 am
Lots of pareve pumpkin recipes here. The pumpkin brownies are particularly a crowd pleaser.

http://www.squidoo.com/pareve-.....tives

I sometimes use earth balance baking bars instead of margarine when oil won't work.

naftala

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 1:22 pm
I saw this recipe on the Oprah Show once, and it is delicious! (I also make this marinade for chicken)

For turkey, make a marinade of the following:

1 1/2 cups Dijon mustard
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (do not discard lemon rinds)

Wash turkey, stuff lemon rinds and additional cut up lemons into cavity. Sprinkle sage, rosemary and thyme on turkey. Pour marinade over turkey, rubbing it all over. Add water and more lemon juice to pan for basting.

Cover with foil and roast it at 350 degrees F. Continue basting every 15 minutes until the thermometer reaches 180–185°.

spinkles

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 2:46 pm
For really good and easy cranberry sauce/relish, combine canned cranberry sauce (whole berry kind), Smucker's marmalade (don't go with the cheaper brands), drained canned mandarin oranges, powdered ginger, and chopped pecans.

For pumpkin pie, use the Libby's recipe. Sub soy milk for the condensed milk, but reduce the amount by about a third since it's thinner than condensed milk. Also reduce the cloves a bit.

slpslp

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 3:40 pm
This is our thanksgiving menu. We do it with my siblings and first cousin. The cooking is split between all families.

soup
borekas with sauce
turkey
meatballs (sweet & sour/ italian)
chicken cutlets/ roast
stuffing
ceesar salad & another salad
corn pudding
carrot muffins
cranberry oat kugel
potatoes
fruit
pecan/ apple pie

elmos

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 4:33 pm
my mother makes turkey for various y"t suedahs never has she put oil on the skin she stuffs it with a bread tuffing seaons it with spices puts lots of veg. around it potato carrot sweet potato and onion some years zuchinni and a nice amount of water and seals the pan well with heavy duty foil and bakes it at 350 20min per lb always perfect and juicy

Reality

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 7:46 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The Happy Wife wrote:
ValleyMom wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Mine is 15 pounds.
Do we use margarine?

anti-margarine people can use olive oil.

Don't use olive oil. My father did that one year and it turned the turkey green! You can skip the butter/margerine. Just cook the turkey covered the entire time. After 2 hours flip the turkey over. Do it carefully. Remove the turkey from the oven completely and carefully turn over with a spoon and a pitchfork (not sure what the kitchen thing a migigy is called Very Happy ).If you are worried about the white meat drying out, baste the turkey with its own juices a couple of times. Enjoy and good luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 9:28 pm
The cranberry sauce is the defining thing.

You can buy it in cans.

It isn't hard to make:
rinse, then boil on a high flame, say three bags of fresh cranberries. Boil well.
Cook until they are half cooked, you can still see berries. Drain or pour off the cooking water. Don't rinse.

Get say 3 or 4 thin skinned juice oranges. No other kind. They are small, hard and ugly. About 1 orange per bag of cranberries or a little more.

Scrub the oranges hard with detergent and a brush, rinse very well.

Cut them into quarters and pick out seeds. Cut off excess white stuff at the ends.

Into the food processor, with the S blade, go: cooled cranberries, unpeeled orange quarters, ordinary sugar, say 2 tablespoons.
Pulse only, a few times. The oranges should be cut up well. But don't puree completely. Taste. If it is too sour, add a little more sugar, and pulse only two seconds. You don't want it very sweet.
Put it into a bowl, and put into the fridge for say an hour or so at least. If you have put some orange quarters aside, make a pretty flower design on the top, just for decoration.
This is good cold. It will disappear.
Don't make it too sweet at first pulsing. Don't overcook the cranberries. Wash the cranberry pot quickly.

Cranberry dyes things red.

It is cheaper, groovier and more fun to make your own.

You can even leave out the orange, just cranberries and regular sugar.

People think there is a secret formula in a vault under a mountain, like for Coca Cola or something. It's just cranberries and sugar, boiled. A non stick pot might be nice. It's sticky.

pinkflower

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:36 am
Here is a great and simple turkey recipe that I make all the time: http://www.kosherista.com/node/302

Using an OVEN BAG as described in the recipe above, keeps the turkey much more moist.

And a yummy sweet potato pie: http://www.kosherista.com/node/147

anotherima

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 3:41 pm
About the frozen butternut squash....I get the birds eye butternut squash it has an OU. It has other stuff in it too but doesn't make a difference.

abcd123

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 4:29 pm
I havent looked at it in a while, but last time I checked the birds eye frozen butternut squash had a triangle- K. did they change the hechsher??

anotherima

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 6:42 pm
The plain birds eye butternut squash has a triangle k but the one they sell at the frum stores I go to has an OU. It is not pure butternut squash though but it is fine in my recipe for butternut squash pie. http://www.birdseye.com/vegeta.....quash
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics