Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Mexico City?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 2:14 pm
Anyone here live in or know anything about Mexico City?

What kind of salary would one need to have to live there? Right now it's a remote possibility, but if we moved there it would be for a job but not the best paying one probably. I know I've heard it's a very wealthy community. Would it be difficult for us financially or socially if we were more at the bottom of the rung? (I don't know whether that would be the situation. Don't know what the salary situation would be yet.)

Anything else? Kosher food, community, life?

rachel91

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 2:17 pm
I can't tell you any details, I only know that mexico city is very dangerous.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 3:07 pm
a friend of mine is from mexico city. it is EXTREMELY dangerous. according to her, people do not flaunt their wealth because it makes them to much of a target. many homes are small because of that but you need to have extensive security. her home has security at all times and she doesn't go anywhere without a security guard. I don't know about the specific cost of living. sorry!

rachel91

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
a friend of mine is from mexico city. it is EXTREMELY dangerous. according to her, people do not flaunt their wealth because it makes them to much of a target. many homes are small because of that but you need to have extensive security. her home has security at all times and she doesn't go anywhere without a security guard. I don't know about the specific cost of living. sorry!

I think mexico city is one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

Pooh

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 4:57 pm
I was born there. I lived there till I was twelve and then moved to the us w my family because of the danger. I haven't been back there to live or married to visit for that matter so I can't help u with the financial aspect (although everything there is deffinately cheaper than in us. We grew up w 3 live in housekeepers and a chauffeur, had after school activities every afternoon and when in us we only had one housekeeper and no activities. This may give u an example of the type of lifestyle there is there)

Community wise the main one is the Syrian. They're very awesome as in very organized. There's organizations for every type of need their members may have. But they may be hard socially to crack into. My sister for example married someone from there two years ago and even tho he is super well known in the community my sister still has no friends

Kosher food there is but it's kinda hard. Cuz they don't go by labels on the actual food, rather there's a book that tells u what's kosher and what's not and it changes very often. So it's annoying but they all do it.

Idk anything abt the ashkenaz community tho

If u have any other specific qs let me know

wif

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 6:27 pm
PM me--I can put you in touch with someone who lives there.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 8:03 pm
I have a very close friend who is from Mexico City and went back there for both family and work reasons. It's hard unless you speak Spanish. Pooh is absolutely true about syrian community, the jewish community center building my friend described sounded totally amazing with the kindergarten, swimming pool etc. My friend is actually ashkenazi but I think ashkenazi community is small and less observant.

From what she said, it can be a dangerous place because of big gap in wealth, so mugging, burglaries, car theft, people used to be concerned about kidnapping but I don't know if it's relevant. So you don't walk outside but stay in the car, and live in secure compounds with good security system. Labor is cheap that's why people have chauffers and housekeepers and maids. My friend used to live in 2.5bedroom 2 bath apartment before she moved, now she lives in a condo double the size with 5 bedrooms each with bathrooms for the same rent. Though she said salary is less because things are cheap.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 10:22 pm
Pooh wrote:
Kosher food there is but it's kinda hard. Cuz they don't go by labels on the actual food, rather there's a book that tells u what's kosher and what's not and it changes very often. So it's annoying but they all do it.

To the best of my knowledge this is the standard practice in most countries outside of Israel, US and Canada. It changes often because food manufacturers changes ingredients or introduce new products made in the same production line. Often the updates and kosher lists are available on websites.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating