Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I feel like a broken record (vent)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 6:15 pm
My kids are tired of me nagging them, but what they don't realize I keep nagging them about the same things over and over and over and over again. Maybe if they'd actually listen I won't have to repeat it a million times and not sound like a broken record. I'm not talking about telling them something right then, I'm talking about for example, put your plate in the sink, don't hit your brother Rolling Eyes , do your job, etc... It's not that they don't listen when I tell them to do it, it's just having to tell it every day, all the time. They just hear me nagging them again, but it's the same thing. I know it's part of parenting and being a child. Thanks for letting me vent!! Gotta go and tell them to stop playing ball in the living room AGAIN!!! Mad

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 6:49 pm
1. My sympathies. There are some solutions posted in past parenting threads here.

2. Do you realize most of the people on this site have never actually heard a broken record? Raise your hand if you have!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 7:08 pm
Did I write this post?! What
I would love to hear some magical solution too.

Quote:
2. Do you realize most of the people on this site have never actually heard a broken record? Raise your hand if you have!

Wave I even remember which parts of the songs were repeated!

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 8:15 pm
mememememe! The records weren't actually broken--just scratched. You wouldn't be able to play a record that was actually broken.

Wave if you remember 72's and record albums that were literally albums with stiff cardboard covers and multiple envelope pages that held one 72 rpm record each.

OP, one fine day in 20 years or so, you will hear your children telling THEIR children to wash their hands, quit hitting their brother etc...in YOUR exact words. I believe this is called "nachas". Or maybe "Schadenfreude."

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 9:13 pm
Wave I remember those!

I used to tell students that I was tutoring that when they were doing something in public, they had to slow down, and they would "feel like a record on the wrong speed."

Then, I had to change it to "be like a videotape in slow motion."

Now, I can't even do the videotape part.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 9:26 pm
imasinger wrote:
Wave I remember those!

I used to tell students that I was tutoring that when they were doing something in public, they had to slow down, and they would "feel like a record on the wrong speed."

LOL How about "instant replay on TV"?

Della

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 9:39 pm
zaq wrote:
mememememe! The records weren't actually broken--just scratched. You wouldn't be able to play a record that was actually broken.

Wave if you remember 72's and record albums that were literally albums with stiff cardboard covers and multiple envelope pages that held one 72 rpm record each.

OP, one fine day in 20 years or so, you will hear your children telling THEIR children to wash their hands, quit hitting their brother etc...in YOUR exact words. I believe this is called "nachas". Or maybe "Schadenfreude."

Wave Wave but do you mean 78's?

Eemaof3

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 6:24 am
Yes I remember broken records (and have a bunch to prove it) but back to the topic...
Thanks for this post! I have been experiencing the same thing, especially this week. I am at the end of the my rope with ds and want to dump all the stuff in his room that I have been asking him to put away for weeks!!! I have had advice to let it go but instead it builds in me. I actually lost it yesterday AM and told ds that he shows me no respect. Great way to start the day, huh? My friend advised a calm sit down with ds when I am not angry but I keep getting angry each time I see him. MAyeb the "calm" of Shabbat prep today will calm me enough to speak to him tonight.
In any case, hugs to us all for dealing with this!

grace413

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 6:27 am
Wave

amother

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 7:57 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

Wave I even remember which parts of the songs were repeated!

op here. My kids know what a broken record is because I've told them many times how I feel like one Rolling Eyes Mad .

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 8:11 am
I've heard a broken record, but honestly I just feel like I'm on mute. Like, didn't I say that out loud? Why is everyone completely tuning me out?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 9:05 am
Monsey Mom wrote:

Whoa, senior moment! Of course, 78. Can you tell I haven't taken them out in a while? LOL

Della

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 2:30 pm
zaq wrote:
Monsey Mom wrote:

Whoa, senior moment! Of course, 78. Can you tell I haven't taken them out in a while? LOL

I'll tell you the truth: I couldn't remeber, either. But 72 just didn't sound right. So I googled it...

imaima

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 2:56 pm
imasinger wrote:
1. My sympathies. There are some solutions posted in past parenting threads here.

I have.

Faigy86

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 2:59 pm
imasinger wrote:

I have, and I'm of the younger generation on here.

imaima

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 2:59 pm
imasinger wrote:
Wave I remember those!

now you can try "youtube on slow internet connection".

shanie5

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:35 pm
Wave Wave

My kids repeat my broken record lies when I start them. So I know they hear me.
Me: "Did you wash.."
Them: "yes mommy, sigh, I washed my hands"

Me: "Put your pla...."
Them: "I will put my plate in the sink in a minute."

Me: "4 legs of...."
Them-in unison: 4 legs of the chair on the floor at all times. Please. Thank you."

lili

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 1:15 am
start with consequences
say things once, and then apply a consequence.
stop repeating yourself.
the kids will learn fast to better listen the first time.
sometimes there will be a natural consequence so you dont have to come up with one, like if you're calling them for dinner, if they dont come the food will get cold. but dont call them twice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics