Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Tip for bus driver, mail carrier, etc in Lakewood

studying_torah

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:00 am
How much do you Lakewood mothers tip the bus drivers, mail carriers, etc?
If your child has the same driver for am and pm do you tip more?
Thanks!

MimiMommy

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:29 am
Hold on-- you tip the mail carriers?? When is the stopping point then? I'm sure they appreciate it but I never heard of that. I don't understand this whole tipping thing. I don't know if you're allowed to give x-mas presents to non-Jews anyway.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:31 am
no I dont, but I thought ur supposed to......

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:35 am
My neighborhood used to have a certain mailman who told me that he asked for a different route because people in my area didn't tip.

As for me, it depends on my budget that year! When I finish with expenses for the month, and then with the school chagiga fees, teachers, etc....I see how much I have left. I usually give the mailman $10.

My kids are at a bus stop with other kids, so sometimes we bring an envelope and everyone puts in what they want, and then we present it to the driver as a gift from all the kids at this stop. My kids have different drivers for a.m. and p.m. so it's four drivers. I'm thinking of wrapping a $5 around a chocolate bar and presenting that. Wish I could give more but I think that's what it's gonna be.

b from nj

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:36 am
First of all, if you don't want to give "X-mas" presents, then why not give it during Chanukah so then it's a Chanukah present Wink?! & besides, that sounds like a cheap cop-out excuse, that we're not allowed to give Xmas presents...If you have a cleaning lady or a non-Jewish babysitter, I would HIGHLY recommend that you give them a holiday bonus.

Regarding the busdrivers, I usually give my DDs morning bus driver $10 now & in the beginning of the year (b/c she does me a favor & stops on our corner even though it's not our official spot) & usually at the end of the year too as a form of hakaras hatov. Don't underestimate the power of making a kiddush hashem.

I will add that b/c I don't see the afternoon busdrivers, I often won't tip them but when I have any connection with them, I like to try & tip them. ''

& regarding the mailman it also depends on whether I know who he is or not. For example, we used to have a very friendly mailman for years & I always tipped him $20 but his route got switched last year & I don't think we have a steady mailman anymore so I may not tip the mailman this year. A lot has to do with whether or not I have some kind of connection with them or not.

Last edited by b from nj on Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:37 am
Growing up in Texas (I am a convert) my dad was a mail carrier. He was not allowed to accept money but it was always a nice treat when people left cookies, cakes etc in their mailboxes for us. In the holiday season my father brought home 2-3 things a day for a week or so. It was in NO way expected but a nice treat. I would only tip something like that never money by law government employees should not accept cash/ gift cards.

MimiMommy

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:40 am
Chayalle wrote:
My neighborhood used to have a certain mailman who told me that he asked for a different route because people in my area didn't tip

I hope you didn't start tipping him because of his lame threat. What chutzpah.

MimiMommy

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:41 am
And b from nj. I understand about tipping helpers but I'm just saying I learned once that you shouldn't give tips specifically for x-mas. Maybe calling it "holiday bonus" is ok.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 10:42 am
MimiMommy wrote:
Chayalle wrote:
My neighborhood used to have a certain mailman who told me that he asked for a different route because people in my area didn't tip

I hope you didn't start tipping him because of his lame threat. What chutzpah.

I didn't, he changed his route. He was Jewish, BTW. And there were people who did tip him. And some who gave him Matza before Pesach, and fresh doughnuts on Chanuka, etc...

studying_torah

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 11:09 am
thanks for the info!
we just moved, and my son's bus driver has been changed 3 times in the last 2 weeks, so I dont know any of the drivers- am or pm
Nor do I know the mail man/woman (nowadays u never know, it might be a woman!)
The thing is, there is no one else who waits w/ my kids, and I feel silly only giving $5, but honestly, I cant give much more. What should I do?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 11:11 am
studying_torah wrote:
thanks for the info!
we just moved, and my son's bus driver has been changed 3 times in the last 2 weeks, so I dont know any of the drivers- am or pm
Nor do I know the mail man/woman (nowadays u never know, it might be a woman!)
The thing is, there is no one else who waits w/ my kids, and I feel silly only giving $5, but honestly, I cant give much more. What should I do?

Give it with a nice "Thank you" card. A homemade card is also good.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 11:27 am
Not in Lakewood but elswhere in NJ - $5-10 dollars is normal for a bus driver and bus aide. If the bus is full and most give tips, that comes out to a lot.

Postal carriers are not supposed to accept cash. If you leave a gift in the mailbox, best to do it maybe not the few days before xmas. I have heard that people go around looking in the mailboxes for gifts!

sky

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 2:33 pm
I was told my mailman could take cash if it wasn't a large amount. I give about $10 to the mailman and to the busdriver. I also write the busdriver a nice card - there isn't too much to write to the mailman - but he always gives me back a thank you card in the mailbox (he doesn't pay for a stamp Smile)

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 2:53 pm
FYI, it is illegal for mailmen to accept cash gifts.
That said, mine rings my bell every year to come pick his up. Confused

MrsDash

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 3:04 pm
We used to send, and receive a LOT of packages, and priority letters. I didn't give them 'cash' I usually just gave out gift cards to dunkin donuts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children