Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need a good easy milchig soup receipe

imsobored

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 1:57 pm
Im having company tom night and need a receipe for milchig soup that is easy to make, I don't want to make french onion soup again!
Any ideas?

Happy18

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 1:58 pm
Onion soup is my fastest.

You could do broccoli soup with a frozen bag of broccoli.
That shouldnt take too long to make.

Brownies

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 2:23 pm
Sorry to hijack but could one of you post a quick onion soup recipe? dH is always asking for but all the recipes I've seen seem to make it so long and complicated! As for a quick milky soup I agree with happy18 - use a frozen bag of broccoli with a couple of potatoes and carrots and purée it - it comes out really nice and creamy even if you don't add milk or cream. Or another easy soup is tomato rice soup (not actually milky but I guess you could add milk or cream if you want).:
5 cups stock (vegetable, or chicken or beef if u want it meaty)
15 oz can chopped tomatoes or sieved tomatoes ( depends if you want tomato bits in it or not)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp rice

Put all ingredients into a pot and bring gently to the boil, then add the rice. Reduce heat then cover and cook for half an hour, until the rice is tender.

That's it - it really is the easiest soup and always goes down really well!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 2:55 pm
Cream of Mushroom Barley.

Put some flour into a soup pot with a half inch of hot bland oil in the bottom.

Whisk the flour constantly, constantly, until it is a little toasted or dark beige but don't let it burn. Only a whisk will do. One of those wire things. The idea is to not have lumps.

When the flour is no longer raw, immediately pour in a quart of milk. Whisk to combine.

Pour in a quart of cold water.

Whisk again to combine, bring to a boil, reduce flame right away to a medium small simmer.

Put in some Osem powder to taste. Parve. Cook covered.

You now have a classic "white soup". (It is a blank canvas. It can be "Cream of" anything.)

Put in some dried barley, rinsed. Remember, it expands a lot in cooking. The whole bag? Maybe half?

Simmer covered until the barley is almost cooked enough, meaning only a little hard. Throw in pieces of fresh mushroom, say a boxfull, well washed, and cut up any old way into small pieces.

Simmer the soup some more, until the mushroom is cooked. That takes about twenty more minutes. The barley should be a nice texture now, not crunchy or hard, but not totally formless either. You're done.

This soup can be made without milk but it doesn't taste as good.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Sun, Dec 09 2012, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

bananasplit

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 3:03 pm
[quote="Dotty"]Sorry to hijack but could one of you post a quick onion soup recipe? dH is always asking for but all the recipes I've seen seem to make it so long and complicated!

Theres a delicious easy one thats posted here, I think its from the BY cookbook.

chaya35

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 7:37 pm
[quote="bananasplit"]
Dotty wrote:
Sorry to hijack but could one of you post a quick onion soup recipe? dH is always asking for but all the recipes I've seen seem to make it so long and complicated!

Theres a delicious easy one thats posted here, I think its from the BY cookbook.

the BY cookbook has an easy and delicious onion soup. I think it was posted under BY cookbook.

shiffycc

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 7:50 pm
I can't remember if its Kosher pallette or KBD, but one of them has a "cream of any vegetable soup" . You can make it milchig and use frozen broccoli, butternut squash, even zucchini. You can serve it with a dollop of sour cream and some croutons and looks very special. It tastes amazing! And it alway goes over well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen