Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Question

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 9:59 am
I am thinking to get a pressure cooker for when I go back to work, so I can have dinner ready quickly. My only concern is that I'm afraid everything will taste the same, much like a slow cooker. Anyone have one and can clarify this for me? Will my food taste like it usually does when cooked on the stove top or will it all taste the same like when something is cooked in the slow cooker?

SS6099

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 10:33 am
I have a pressure cooker and LOVE it. It tastes like what you put into it! Basically, it makes the food cook faster and the texture is much softer since it 'cooked' longer.
The difference is that with a slow cooker, the food tends to be slightly more liquidy since you don't want it to dry out. With the pressure cooker, the liquid cooks out much faster but ever so good.
I highly recommend it!

thanks

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 10:41 am
Pressure cooker is great - nothing like the crock pot, which is also practical for working women.

I make my applesauce and chicken soup in my crockpot and they both tast great!

For a weeknight supper, I make uden soup - it's a hearty meat soup with vegetables. In a separate pot I cook uden noodles (gefen makes them), and voila - a one dish meal.

I also cook rice in my pressure cooker. It's quick and very tastey.

cookielady

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 12:49 pm
Another vote for a pressure cooker. I have an electric one. Chicken soup ready in 40 mins, potatoes soft and ready to mash, about 10 minutes. And so on.

Happy18

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 1:37 pm
I have an electric pressure cooker its amazing!!! I really need to start using it for weeknight dinners. I mostly use it when shabbos is early to make chicken soup.

The Happy Wife

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 8:38 pm
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pressure cooker. Probably the most beloved of all my kitchen tools. I have an electric one that is also a slow cooker and steamer, and has a browning function. I cook something in the morning and it stays warm until I take it out. My chicken is falling off the bone tender in 15-20 minutes. Rice cooked perfectly in 5 minutes. I could go on and on (and on). Very Happy

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 10:42 pm
Mine is simpler but I love it. I don't leave it alone to cook but it cooks fast, easily, and well. Particularly beef. Beef can go from the freezer to the pressure cooker and be very good, allowing 15 minutes per pound. Put a good bit of chili powder in the water.
No, everything doesn't have to taste the same. Depends what goes in. A jar of tomato sauce is nearly required in the presence of a slow cooker or crock pot.

The crock pot is very forgiving as to timing.

The pressure cooker wants you to time it fairly carefully (sort of) by contrast. I regard them as opposites.

Love them both. You can put rock solid frozen meats or chicken into both of them, no defrosting.

Use a heavy hand with the spices. Don't be shy. A few cloves of garlic just cut in half, five or six whole peppercorns, a half teaspoon of cumin powder, a bag of little carrots, potato chunks (unpeeled), an onion, a good shake of oregano, that sort of thing.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 1:01 pm
Thank you ladies. My MIL keeps nudging me to get one, but I still remember the old ones that used to explode so I was always hesitant.

Dolly, my main concern was that the food should taste good. I used the crock pot as an example because somehow no matter what I put in there the food always seems to taste the same.

Bella:D

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 1:16 pm
I also want to get a pressure cooker, does anyone have advice about whether I should get the kind that goes on the stove or the electric kind that plugs in?
I'm thinking an electric one is better because it won't take up space on the stove, does anyone have a reason I should get the one that goes on the stove?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 1:29 pm
Bella:D wrote:
I also want to get a pressure cooker, does anyone have advice about whether I should get the kind that goes on the stove or the electric kind that plugs in?
I'm thinking an electric one is better because it won't take up space on the stove, does anyone have a reason I should get the one that goes on the stove?

That was going to be my next question
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen