Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you know how title one works?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 2:47 pm
My son goes to first grade and he is one of two children that does not qualified for title one
I am very upset, since instead of learning he is taken out of the classroom..
anybody knows how it works, how a child qualify?
I was told by the school that is because the area we live in
but it is funny, My son has a classmate that lives two blocks away from our home and he gets title one..

runninglate

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 3:03 pm
I can't understand from your post if you are upset that he gets it or that he does not get it. I don't know how it works, though.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 3:05 pm
If he doesn't qualify, why is he taken OUT of the classroom? Is he in a Title one class?
There are different factors that determine eligibility, including income and grades/scores.

ElTam

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:19 pm
AFAIK, you child is tested on reading skills. If they fall below a certain level, they go to a title one class. It is a smaller class. That works on building their skills so they can go back into the regular class.

My daughter is in title one, she goes to reading title one class and does the same book, same materials as the girls who are not in title one. It's just a much smaller class. She is tested once a month and as soon as she is up to grade level, IY"H soon, she will go back to the regular class.

To get title one money, your school has to do certain things related to government paperwork, oversight, etc., which is why, as I understand it, some schools offer title one and some don't.

I would go back to the school and get it clarified. If your child is not in Title one, he should still be getting instruction at that time, unless your school sets it up that title one is during gym or recess or something.

anon for this

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:27 pm
OP, do you live in NJ?

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 6:02 pm
OP -
Title 1 is provided under NCLB (No Child Left Behind) for children K-12 who are struggling/at-risk in math or reading. Public schools all offer Title 1 under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) but private schools are in a separate category under IDEA. A private school must apply for title 1 funding. This funding can then be used to pay the teacher and for certain classroom materials (laptops, smart boards, projectors, etc) but any materials purchased must be clearly labelled as being bought with Title 1 monies.

Title 1 is usually a pull-out service. Children go to a smaller classroom to receive a higher teacher/student ratio and usually a slightly slower pace. Typically it also includes enrichment services (aka additional hours of either reading or math). Each month students need a ton of paperwork filed and reassessment is supposed to be performed to see if a child can now be reintegrated to the regular classroom.

Eligibility for Title 1 is determine based on a test of reading/math skills AND based on the district where the child resides. As a result, children who live in affluent school districts are NOT eligible for Title 1 services. So, Yaakov living on Street "A" might be having trouble with math. His cousin, Chana, is having trouble with reading. She lives on Street "C" four blocks away from Yaakov, but she is in a district where most children don't receive free lunch. As such while Yaakov can test into Title 1, Chana is ineligible for services.

OP - does this help?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children