Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Supper on the run

Chanala1

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 8:38 pm
my dh is always on the run only home for supper once a week, what are good foods to prepare in advance and eat cold and a side dish?

I would prefer to stay away from bagels and the fattening foods.

I thought of:
cold cuts
salmon
... I cant think!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 8:44 pm
chicken cutlets
hard boiled eggs
meatballs and spaghetti (can you heat it up and put it in a thermos container?)
baked ziti/lasagna
various forms of kugels or pancakes are good cold
ice cream Smile
tuna/cubed cheese over salad

shiffycc

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 9:32 pm
Chili can be frozen in portions.

Yoshy

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:20 am
I've found that pasta in tomato sauce (as long as the sauce isn't fatty) is almost as tasty cold as hot.
My hubby also made an amazing tomato soup over the summer that was intended to be eaten cold (although it was pretty good hot as well).

Other than those, sandwiches using leftovers such as any leftover meat, lots of veggies, or hard cheeses are always good. And you can make quiches which can be eaten cold. If you have a muffin tin, you can make individual quiches rather than one big one, and that way the portions are already there and don't require any messing around.

If you have the time and energy, you could also make homemade pizza (either using homemade or storebought pizza dough), which is usually pretty good as cold leftovers too.

If there's a way to keep it hot, like mummiedearest suggested, then pretty much anything you can think of can be made to go.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 3:21 am
A crock pot or slow cooker will keep a stew hot after the cooking is finished. That way he can have a hot dish whenever it is convenient. And you can make it whenever it is convenient for you. With a jar of tomato sauce in it, it is very easy. A frozen steak can go right in. You might put it up in the morning, and when he comes home in the evening, it's available any time.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Tue, Jan 01 2013, 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 3:35 am
Chef's or combination salad. That way you can get starches/protein/vegetables.

Base: lettuce, baby spinach, shredded cabbage
Starch: pasta, couscous, barley, quinoa, rice, oriental noodle, croutons, potatoes
Protein: egg, cold cuts, cooked fish/chicken/meat, tuna, smoked salmon, veggie protein, tofu, beans, lentils, shredded or cubed cheese, cottage cheese
Topping: anything goes--tomato, cucumber, peppers, salad onions, beetroots, grated carrots, mushrooms, peas, radish, avocado, steamed veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, olives, pickles, sunflower seeds

think like a salad bar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking