Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Kugel in Cholent
1  2  Next

Hannah!

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 3:53 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 4:10 pm
We have discussed this before.

You can't wrap something in a way that it will actualy become hotter on Shabbos.

To get around this, you make some slashes in the foil or leave one poarst open.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:22 pm
I think you can partially wrap the kugel in silver foil.
Or if you like the taste it gets from the cholent, it's okay, too.

To quote the Shabbos Kitchen:
"A piece of kishke or kugel may be submerged in a pot of cholent before shabbos if one's intention is that it absorb the cholent's flavor. This is permitted even if the kishke is wrapped in aluminum foil.
However, if ones desires simply to keep the kishke hot, it may not be completely submerged."

(I'm assuming this means it can be partially submerged then or put on top of the cholent.)

Re: kugel in a pot of soup....it may get very watery.
If your kugel is completely dry, you may prefer to put it on top of the pot shabbos morning to warm up.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:33 pm
I just put the kugel on top of the cholent in the crockpot before shabbat. I don't even bother wrapping it. Putting the kugel wrapped into a soup will leave you with soggy kugel!

Hannah!

Post Fri, Dec 15 2006, 1:02 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 15 2006, 2:14 am
Ein bishul achar bishul with a davar yavesh. Solids that are fully cooked, and don't have liquid in them, may be re-warmed in certain limited specific ways, since it was already cooked, you can't "cook it" anymore.

Yesh bishul achar bishul with a davar lach. Liquids that have cooled may not be re-warmed, it's bishul. It IS cooking, even though it was previously cooked.

Yesh bishul achar afiyah If it was previously baked, it may not be re-warmed by cooking.Yesh afiyah achar bishulif it was previously cooked, it may not be warmed by baking.

These halachos are complicated. The first volume of Shabbos kehalacha deals with them comprehensively. Based on Shabbos Kehalacha, is Laws of cooking on Shabbos, (in English) by Rabbi Nissan Dovid Dubov, from SIE. The latter goes according to the piskei dinim of Chabad, and Shulchan Aruch haRav. The former includes all main shittos.

aussiegal

Post Fri, Dec 15 2006, 3:46 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I just put the kugel on top of the cholent in the crockpot before shabbat. I don't even bother wrapping it. Putting the kugel wrapped into a soup will leave you with soggy kugel!

same here

HealthCoach

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 10:07 pm
Potato kugel is very good when put in the crock pot. It is healthier to use parchment paper instead of silver foil.

queen

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 11:34 pm
Hannah! wrote:
I didn't realize that you can put things on top of the crock pot to warm Shabbos morning. I thought that exposing to heat for the purposes of warning was assur d'rabbonon?

ask your own LOR, however that is permitted as it isn't the standard way of cooking

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 4:25 pm
So, Hannah, what did you do, in the end?

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:18 am
Does anyone put a cooked potato kugel (wrapped in foil) in their cholent? Will it burn?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:21 am
I do it. it shouldn't burn, but sometimes the outside gets crusty. the inside is yummy!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:22 am
I think it's gross Smile
I've had crockpot cholent at soooo many different people's homes, and I just don't like it. I feel like the flavor is leeched from it.

This is just my personal taste, but I don't like it!

dewyt

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:23 am
YUMMMMMM its delicious....takes in the flavour of the chulent and if its a good kugel its gr8!!!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:29 am
Is it better when a raw potato kugel is put in the cholent? Does a cooked potato kugel turn out just as good?

anon

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:52 am
I always put a fully cooked potato kugel in the cholent wrapped in parchment paper. It comes out good that way (if you like cholenty potato kugel). It's not so healthy to cook it in foil...healthier to do it in parchment paper.

Squash

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:54 am
I never heard of a raw potato kugel being put int the cholent. Wouldn't the potatoes get black by the time it gets cooked?

I always put my kugel in a plastic bag in the cholent. It's delish.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:56 am
Is wax paper the same as parchment paper?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 11:01 am
I also put a potato kugel in the chulent, not wrapped at all. Place it in the bottom of the pot, so the kugel should absorb the chulent liquid, this way it tastes real yummy. I have tried a few times leaving the kugel on top of the chulent not in liquid, but it only got steamed, and wasn't as good when placed deep in the pot.

Squash

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 11:09 am
only1 wrote:
Is wax paper the same as parchment paper?

No. Parchment paper, also known as baking paper does not have wax on in. You could also use a plastic bag. It won't melt.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes