Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Selling or Donating Hair
1  2  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 7:08 pm
I haven't cut my hair in at least 2 1/2 years, so I was thinking about either selling or donating it.
Anyone done it?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 7:10 pm
my sister in law did it you can mail it to chai life line just call them
212 465 1300

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 7:40 pm
Both my sister-in-law and niece donated it. I know places require a minimum of 10 inches length or longer. They did it on Ave. M somewhere, I think Ben Simon, but I can find out for sure if you want and I'll let you know.

rachel

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 8:49 pm
My sil donated her son's hair to chai lifeline when he got his first haircut at age 3. She did mention that it must be atleast 10 inches long.

su7kids

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 8:52 pm
Chai Lifeline is the best way to go, but if that doesn't work, try locks of love. They make wigs for children who are either chemo patients or alopecia patients. Yes, 10 inches, also. Must be clean and in a pony tail. My daughter is working towards it.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 6:49 am
Yes Locks of Love - you need a minimum of 10 inches and they make wigs for kids with cancer. Some hair salons will give you a straight cut for free and mail it for you or you can obtain address on website. I cut my hair 3 years ago and again last year and donated - grows quickly - now it's long again. I think it's a great idea and a hugh mitzva.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 2:15 pm
my friend told me about Zichron Menachem - it goes for kids in Isreal. Anyone heard of them?
http://www.zichron.org/wigs_e.php

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 3:31 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
my friend told me about Zichron Menachem - it goes for kids in Isreal. Anyone heard of them?
http://www.zichron.org/wigs_e.php

Yes, I donated for Zichron Menachem in June. They also take a minimum of 25cm (10 inches)...shorter than that and they can't work with it.

ny21

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 5:19 pm
locksoflove or locks of love
donates hair to cancer victums try to google it.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 12:51 pm
Alef Bais wrote:
Both my sister-in-law and niece donated it. I know places require a minimum of 10 inches length or longer. They did it on Ave. M somewhere, I think Ben Simon, but I can find out for sure if you want and I'll let you know.

you mean Ben Simon cut it or took it?
just curious, if it's not hard for you to find out.

I keep meaning braid and measure my hair to see if it's long enough.

thanks for all the info.

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 12:57 pm
They cut it (and I think also took care of the rest). I'll ask my s-I-l next time I speak to her bli neder.

Quote:

you mean Ben Simon cut it or took it?
just curious, if it's not hard for you to find out.

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:05 pm
Okay, I spoke to my sis-in-law and got the facts. She said Ben Simon will cut your hair for free if you say it's for donating to Chai Lifeline, but they do not actually send it in. You have to send it to Locks of Love with a note that it's specifically for Chai Lifeline.

See http://www.locksoflove.org/donate_hair.php for more info.

ShiraMiri

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:14 pm
Hate to be a party pooper - but ask a shailah first. I have heard that some poseks say a married woman's hair cannot be used as a wig period. There are others who simply say the woman herself cannot wear her own hair as a wig, but someone else can use it.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:19 pm
Don you have to buzz it prety short to donate it? Bracha Vehatzlocho, that's pretty short for a woman who has had long hair for 2 1/2 years . . . .

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:31 pm
correct. I think you should ask a shayla. (also, Judy's Wigs takes hair for chai lifeline shaitles.)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:54 pm
Ok -
according to the website I checked that gives for kids in israel, you cut from the top of the pony tale...so it's not a buzz haircut! Smile
I just measured before and it was 10 inches braided - that's enough! (though not for chai lifelines, but for zichron menachem)
I will email a rov right now Smile Thanks for letting me know about this probably shaila.

supermom

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 1:15 pm
What an amazing mitzvah yasher koach!! I wish I were in your shoes!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 7:45 pm
the rov said it's no problem to donate. (ask your own rov, obviously)
I haven't done it yet, though......hope I actually get to it soon!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 7:22 pm
I did it!
We chopped it off last night!
I hope it was long enough! It was about 10 inches, which is the minimum for Zichron Menachem, but of course, at the end, it's much thinner, so I hope it was good!
I mailed it out today!
My hair is so short! It was funny putting it under my shaitel today! I think I lost 2 lbs this way without dieting! (sorry about all the exclamation points!!)

su7kids

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 7:25 pm
Very cool. My dd is going to do it in the summer!!!! I'm excited for her.
She's 15.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics