Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Pre-schooler in 1/2 body cast

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 10:08 am
What do you get for a preschooler in a body cast from stomach down. She is in 45 degree angle - and can use her hands.
I'm trying to think of good gifts or activities. Preferably something that can be shared with other young children in the home, or something that want cause even more jealousy.

[good activities in that position are also appreciated]

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 10:12 am
Art projects!

How about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toy.....+kits

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 10:48 am
Can she do activities that she needs to sit at a table for?
I wanted to get perler beads but her mother wasn't sure she could do that.
I was also thinking one dry erase board for everyone with dry erase crayons.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:18 am
Playdough toys? Little people toys, like Polly Pocket type?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 2:59 pm
A Bop it? Or maybe she's too young.

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 3:15 pm
dolls, finger puppets, drawing things like magna doodles, stickers, decorate a picture frame projects, **kids story tapes or music*** big picture books (like ispy-cuz there's a lot to look at)....

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 8:13 pm
thanks.

I was also thinking the bopit. But I think she is too young.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 12:02 am
My 3 year old plays their older brother bop it all the time

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 12:28 am
Hashemlovesme wrote:
dolls, finger puppets, drawing things like magna doodles, stickers, decorate a picture frame projects, **kids story tapes or music*** big picture books (like ispy-cuz there's a lot to look at)....

These are good.

As a side note, at three years old, kids are usually fairly active. The cast effectively ends their gross motor exploration.

They NEED gross motor movements otherwise they WILL go nutso (and that's the best technical term that I can come up with.)

Seriously, a 3 year old that cannot jump, run, or go to the park turns into a whining, yelling, screaming, kvetchy, mess.

Twenty years ago children who were hospitalized for broken bones (spica casts, etc) would slowly deteriorate over the course of a few weeks because they had no outlet for their energy. During the first week or two of the cast he/she might feel "yucky" because of pain from the break, but at week three the kid is just done with the whole business of being unable to move.

So, although it sounds silly at first, consider "active toys" for the arms. Throwing something is an excellent way of being active while inactive.
-The basketball hoops and soft balls are great.
-a nerf football
-ribbon dancer
- maracas (bonus points if you find a make-it-yourself kit. Alternatively, have her make it with a plate, color the plate, beans, staples (adult does the stapling). Then play a music video or CD and let her shake away.
-a tamborine (again, to let her shake and "dance" away)
- a giant soft bouncy ball that she can throw in the air and catch (warning, this one will require an adult to go get the ball when it inevitably rolls under a dresser)

gila-rina

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 2:20 am
paddle ball, xylophone, binoculars with view master
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics