Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I want to start running and need advice from runners.
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:57 am
I'm sticking to a weight loss program, and have reached the goal that I had promised myself to take up running when I get there. I need some advice, suggestions and recommendations from women who have done this.

I'm thinking of doing a C25K program on my smartphone. Which are your favorite apps, and would I do better on a treadmill or on the indoor track at the gym?

I don't have the strongest knees and I'm working on building up the muscles around the knees to make them stronger. Should this be a deterrent to running or can I do the program carefully enough to avoid injuries?

Someone recommended I try Jack Rabbit's, where they supposedly provide custom running shoes after watching you run and analyzing the tread or whatever it is they try to figure out to make sure you get the best running shoes. Is that really necessary, or will any good running sneaker do? If the custom ones can really make a difference then I'm willing to pay the price for it. Should I seek out specialty running stores or any shoe store will do?

Anything else I should be concerned about or thinking of?
Thanks for all your input.

black sheep

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 12:28 pm
okay I'm a runner.

1. get yourself fitted at a specialty sneaker store for your first pair. they will measure your foot and your stride and will give you the sneaker that best suits your foot. For future pairs, you can buy the pair they sold you at discount stores or online. So it's really a one time expense. (I've been running for years and still haven't done this, maybe it's time to take my own advice...)

2. the best way to start running is to go out for a walk and break into a jog. then jog a bit more. take a walking break, run some more. continue to lengthen your running and shorten your walking, but always warm up and cool off with walking. I started doing this about 10 years ago, and now I can easily run 7.5 miles in an hour. yet on some days, I still trick myself by saying I'm just going to go out for a walk, but then I break into a little run, and before I know it I've ran 7 miles.

if you want a more structured program, there are many, but I have a few friends who have done the couch to 5K program and have been successful. it's worth a try. I am a free spirited runner and like to just go for it, but I guess that part depends on personality.

3. invest in an excellent running bra. it should be more expensive and better quality than your regular ones. the more they bounce, the faster they age.

4. I don't believe that running is bad for your knees. research it, many people say it actually strengthens the knees. and my theory is that extra weight is bad for the knees, and running helps keep me fit, so that's good for my knees Smile

5. time for me to go for my run.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 12:41 pm
You can go anywhere for running shoes. You don't have to spend a lot. As long as they are designated running shoes, don't slip in the back heel, and neutral weight. Don't fall for getting the light-light running shoes. Unless you are a seasoned runner, you can seriously hurt yourself. Don't worry too much about the "things" you need in order to run. Just go for it. The best way to start a running program is doing walking, and running intervals. Don't worry about speed or distance yet, just run. Start by building your endurance. Good luck! Running is the BEST cardiovascular exercise out there!

black sheep

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 12:44 pm
I want to add that if you are going to just buy any running shoes, I suggest good cushioning for your first pair. I like asics gel running shoes, try on a few and run around the store to see how they feel. bring your youngest kids so they can have a good laugh.

Optione

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 12:59 pm
From personal running experience...

1. Get fitted for running shoes at any store that sells sneakers and can guide you through the fitting process.

2. I would do one run on the treadmill before doing a track. Treadmill is easier because you don't have to push your whole body. This I find puts me in the "I can do it" mode and then I move on to the next level of running on a track.

3. I try to push myself every day a little bit more, thereby avoiding going backwards. Ex: I remember in the earlier days I one time ran for 1/2 hour. The next day I made myself do 35 minutes (or maybe even 32 minutes...)

4. DRINK DRINK DRINK. At least 1/2 hour before running, small sips during (to avoid cramping) and again when you're finished.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:08 pm
its good to have a treadmill so you can run when the baby is sleeping, in the evening when the kids are asleep and when the weather is icy and horrible. But if you have nice places to run nearby nothing like running outside. I don't know if there are tznius concerns for you, not sure how comfortable I would be if I frequently met frum jewish men while running. (I don't) I started the couch to 5k program but had to quit when I got too pregnant so I did not actually finish it. iyh I'll go back to it afterwards. Now I just walk.

Sherri

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:16 pm
What are some names of good companies for sports bras?

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:20 pm
Thank you all for your input. It's been very helpful.

I think I will try a specialty running store because I'm concerned about injuries and that may help me feel safer and more secure. Mrs. Dash, thanks for the tip about the lightweight shoes. I didn't know they were more prone to injuries.

I also didn't realize that it's easier to run on the treadmill than a track. I guess I'll start there.

I'm excited to try this. It's something I've been wanting to do for years now.

imamiri

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:21 pm
I used to run and need to start again too.

I cannot emphasize enough how important running shoes are. Don't cheap out on them and when they start wearing out don't wait to replace them. No needless injuries from lack of proper shoes please!

Make sure you are properly hydrated before you set out. But not right before unless you want that nausea inducing sloshy feeling in your stomach.

As for the knees, I understand you on bad knees. My knee started going this year and my PT explained my specific issue has to do with weak inner quads. She gave me these little half squats to do to strengthen them and it has made a big difference.

Oh and have fun. I always despised the first 15 minutes but then it felt awesome. Runners high is addictive!

For apps I use Map My Run for everything. Cycling, walking and when I return to it, I'll use it for running. It gives you your distance and speed. It also gives you routes in your area others have uploaded.

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:21 pm
Sherri wrote:
What are some names of good companies for sports bras?

I was just gonna ask more info on that. It's one of the things I overlooked.

SS6099

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:28 pm
I run on the treadmill 4x a week, 6.5 miles each. But my knees are killing me after, and yes, I'm thin so there's no excess weight to worry about that is causing it.
How do I avoid this pain?

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:33 pm
You need excellent expensive shoes, the right clothes, and a good treadmill. Then, carefully, starting slow, do a brisk-walk and work up to as fast a brisk walk as you feel is fun. The treadmill won't let you slow down when a little tired; that is its great virtue. True running will give you impact injuries in your joints; a brisk-walk is quite enough. Be careful about leaping off the thing if the phone rings or the baby cries. Slow down a teensy bit, then turn the machine off, then get off it. Don't leap off the machine while it is still going.

Do NOT leave your house. You will be breathing the car fumes, and risking plenty of things, from immodesty, to actual crime, to just plain looking stupid, and who needs that. Yes, people you know will see you. Guaranteed. And worst of all, you will be wasting the going and coming time, when you could have gotten the job done in your own house, with more mental concentration and effectiveness. A mother has no time to waste. The treadmill is so effective that you should be careful NOT to over-do it. It is better to slightly under-do, and not get hurt, or exhausted. But it will do the job, if used regularly. But never relax around this machine: it is a powerful machine, use it with discipline, or it can turn on you.

Dress carefully for it, wear good quality socks, and the best shoes. Use a timer and don't exceed, even if you think you can. Drink water or dilute juice both before and after, even if you don't feel like it. Take it seriously and you will love it as much as your kitchen machines, bless them.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:33 pm
what is couch potato - 5 K?
Is it a book?
DVD?
Ap?

Also can someone is VERY heavy try a running program with intervals of walking and running or this is a bad idea.
Just asking.
Not for me of course.
;-)

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:37 pm
couch-5k is a running app available on apple app store and probably android as well. Lots of similar apps.

Dolly, I do not waste any time by running outside. I walk to the park/trail which is 5 minutes away. You need to walk for 5 minutes to warm up anyway. Of course, I agree if the park is a 20 minute drive that is wasted time.

Of course, one advantage of a treadmill is being able to dress without concerns of tznius eg short sleeves etc.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:43 pm
Raisin wrote:
couch-5k is a running app available on apple app store and probably android as well. Lots of similar apps.

Dolly, I do not waste any time by running outside. I walk to the park/trail which is 5 minutes away. You need to walk for 5 minutes to warm up anyway. Of course, I agree if the park is a 20 minute drive that is wasted time.

Of course, one advantage of a treadmill is being able to dress without concerns of tznius eg short sleeves etc.

That is a huge advantage. Yes, one MUST walk for five minutes on the treadmill to warm up. I forgot to mention that. But you are taking more time, total. And you are slowing when you want to, even unconsciously. The machine won't let you. It is more efficient.

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 1:55 pm
I'll be doing it at the gym either way. They have treadmills and a track so I can stick to one or alternate.

SS6099

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 2:11 pm
When running on the treadmill, is it better to run flat or on a slight incline (slightly slower)?

zissy2004

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 2:18 pm
I was thinking of running for a long time now but for tznius concerns there is nowhere to run here outside. I never knew a gym can have an indoor track? Gotta find this out.

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 2:26 pm
I've never been a big runner, never got past more than a mile or two, but I feel much more comfortable running in the lightweight/minimizer sneakers. Less weight to run with. I'm enjoying all these suggestions because I stopped running when I got pregnant (I tried a few times and just didn't feel right afterwards) but looking forward to getting back into it.
Is a running bra the same thing as a sports bra?

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 2:29 pm
You really don't need expensive shoes. I spent on average, $30 - $60 on running shoes.

You can start running in any fitness shape. I would suggest for anyone with medical conditions or any other concerns to see a doctor though, and get a green light to run.

When it comes to running on treadmills- Your stride is a little off on a treadmill. That is why your knees may be hurting you. Definitely incline the treadmill to gain a more accurate run. I think it would be a minimum of a 3% incline to equal a typical outdoor run.

Sports bras vary by person, and bust size. If you are a C cup or smaller, you can get away with wearing a sports bra from target.

Dolly, running outside is amazing, and very important you ones psychological health. I know I probably look like a crazy puppy when I run, but I don't care what people think. I run for me, not anyone else. Running frees your mind. It's an antidepressant. It keeps the resting heart rate nice and low, lowers your cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and lowered blood glucose.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise