Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I want to start running and need advice from runners.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Inspired

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 7:08 pm
Maya, I really suggest you focus on strength training for your leg muscles. Also I found chiropractic really helpful for my knee issues.

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 7:58 pm
Inspired wrote:
Maya, I really suggest you focus on strength training for your leg muscles. Also I found chiropractic really helpful for my knee issues.

Thanks, I'm trying to strengthen the muscles. I do feel them getting stronger, and I hope it'll work better in twenty pounds from now.

Interesting idea, the chiropractic thing.

SS6099

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:55 pm
Maya wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Thanks, I'm trying to strengthen the muscles. I do feel them getting stronger, and I hope it'll work better in twenty pounds from now.

Another testimony to strengthening the knees: I never believed anyone who told me I need to do that since I hate toning. But after constant knee pain, I took some advice here and now I strength train twice-three times a week. I haven't had a problem in the past few weeks at all!

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:57 pm
This thread inspired me! I recently bought a treadmill and was doing my 30 minute brisk walking, 3-4x/week. Last night, I stepped it up (no pun intended Smile ) and started Week 1 of the Couch to 5k program! Looking forward!

MyTimeNow

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 11:45 pm
SS6099 wrote:
Maya wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Another testimony to strengthening the knees: I never believed anyone who told me I need to do that since I hate toning. But after constant knee pain, I took some advice here and now I strength train twice-three times a week. I haven't had a problem in the past few weeks at all!

SS6099, ( feel like I'm addressing the Borg)
I'm having the same issue- knee pain, and I was told to do quad strengthening. I have such a hard time remembering to do it, though. How many times week, and when during the day do you do the exercises?
I also spin 3 times a week.

SS6099

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 12:26 pm
runningmom wrote:
SS6099 wrote:
Maya wrote:
Inspired wrote:

I'm having the same issue- knee pain, and I was told to do quad strengthening. I have such a hard time remembering to do it, though. How many times week, and when during the day do you do the exercises?

Here’s my workout schedule: I alternate days and run every other day, and do a DVD on the other day. The DVD that I do is super challenging and provides about 10 minutes lower body toning with weights so I know I got my weight training in. in addition, I find time twice a week to do upper body, about 15 minute sessions. I HATE toning, really really, but it helps me so much that I push myself.
Another thing- I used to be in so much pain, I couldn’t run more than 3x a week. Now I run 3x a week and have energy to do DVDs on the other days!

MyTimeNow

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 1:45 pm
SS6099 wrote:
runningmom wrote:
SS6099 wrote:
Maya wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Here’s my workout schedule: I alternate days and run every other day, and do a DVD on the other day. The DVD that I do is super challenging and provides about 10 minutes lower body toning with weights so I know I got my weight training in. in addition, I find time twice a week to do upper body, about 15 minute sessions. I HATE toning, really really, but it helps me so much that I push myself.
Another thing- I used to be in so much pain, I couldn’t run more than 3x a week. Now I run 3x a week and have energy to do DVDs on the other days!

How long from when you began leg strengthening till you felt a difference in your runs? How many miles do you usually run, and at you on a treadmill, our outdoors- if outside, do you run a flat course or do you have any hills?
I get tons of upper body during s pin- we do all sorts of weights, but as the weather warns, I prefer running 3x a week &. 2 spins.

SS6099

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 1:59 pm
Honestly, it took about a month to fully feel a difference. Part of the difference was also the fact that I gave myself an alternative to running so it gave it a ‘break’. I run on the treadmill, usually for 45-60 minutes, depending on how much time/energy I have, at a steady pace of 6-6.2 mph, 2 incline. That makes it 4.6-6.1 miles each time. Occasionally, I’ll run a track near where I live, which is about 5.1 miles and super rugged. Love them both!

MyTimeNow

Post Fri, Mar 15 2013, 1:53 pm
Hm. I guess I'll get back to my leg exercises, can't hurt- I'm going to train for a 10k. I ran that twice but boy did I pay for it! My pt told me to do leg lifts with weights, plus squats (back lightly leaning against a wall)- does tat sound like ha you do/did?

SS6099

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 1:26 pm
How is the OP or anyone else who was inspired to start running, doing?
Just curious! Running is addictive Smile

Sahmom

Post Fri, Jun 14 2013, 1:45 pm
I did start running. Then I got a stress fracture on my foot. Had to wear the boot for 6 weeks. Now I cant run for 3 more weeks Sad
Hope to start again soon.

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 8:47 pm
SS6099 wrote:

Bh, I just ran a 5 mile race on Sunday Smile . My issues came from not rolling out after runsv(and spin) or properly stretching. I'm still on strengthening exercises, too. Anyone else caught the bug? It's cheaper than therapy!

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 8:49 pm
Sahmom wrote:
I did start running. Then I got a stress fracture on my foot. Had to wear the boot for 6 weeks. Now I cant run for 3 more weeks Sad
Hope to start again soon.

Sorry about your fracture Sad . I had one of those, too. Not fun. I actually ended up adjusting my stride, and now I run off the balls of my feet as opposed to being a heel striker & thunking down heavily.
What were you advised to do?

SS6099

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 10:48 pm
runningmom wrote:
SS6099 wrote:

Bh, I just ran a 5 mile race on Sunday Smile . My issues came from not rolling out after runsv(and spin) or properly stretching. I'm still on strengthening exercises, too. Anyone else caught the bug? It's cheaper than therapy!

Wow about the 5 miles! How many miles do u do weekly?
I aim for about 26 but only if my schedule allows. My whole day is different especially if I run in the morning before work!

Tzippora

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 11:42 pm
26 mpw is hard!!! I try for twenty, but barely have time! I typically hit around 15

Tzippora

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 11:42 pm
26 mpw is hard!!! I try for twenty, but barely have time! I typically hit around 15
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise