Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I want to start running and need advice from runners.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 9:52 pm
I love running!!!!! I wish I lived near a park or track where I can run uninteruped. Meanwhile its running in city life betweein people. I get comments from the italian old folks and from others. None are negetive ones though. I run in less busy areas though. Its great for the mind and body! Walk: run: walk : run..... Is very effective too. I never had a problem with my knees after a good run. Stretching before starting is good. Running outdoors is great because of the air and the hills. I guess you can incline your treadmill in the gym too when you feel ready.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 9:56 pm
black sheep wrote:
octopus wrote:
I see many frum women that run in marine park.

you've probably seen me running at marine park sometimes Smile

well, then, I guess you're one of the ladies that I'm jealous of. I'm a very inhibited person and just won't run in public for fear of looking stupid. now how dumb is that??!! so I pay lots of $$$ to a gym (that I really go to!) but I could be getting just as good of a workout for FREEE if I wasn't so inhibited.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 9:58 pm
octopus wrote:
black sheep wrote:
octopus wrote:

well, then, I guess you're one of the ladies that I'm jealous of. I'm a very inhibited person and just won't run in public for fear of looking stupid. now how dumb is that??!! so I pay lots of $$$ to a gym (that I really go to!) but I could be getting just as good of a workout for FREEE if I wasn't so inhibited.

Get on out there! Nobody's looking and it's great to feel the wind in your hair... err... on your face Wink Join the club!

I'm in Manhattan so I'll see y'all in Central Park or on the river!

Tzippora

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 10:00 pm
acccdac wrote:
I heard on one of the weight loss shows that if you are on a treadmill you should have it on incline 1 so it mimics real streets, and at 0 incline the treadmill is doing most of the work for you.

true or false?

True... I wouldn't say "most of the work" but it's less effort than running outside.

acccdac wrote:
also, I have also read to do interval running, walk for 2 minutes then run for 1. I do remember that it helps with losing weight fast. But do you believe this is also a good way to work yourself up to running? After 2 minutes walk and 1 minute run I would change it 1 minute of walk and 1 minute of run, and then eventually switch to just running.

It does help you lose weight to do intervals, and also is a good way to build up your speed and distance. It's part of the Couch to 5K program folks were mentioning earlier.

For additional resources, you can also check out www.runnersworld.com

black sheep

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 10:02 pm
octopus wrote:
black sheep wrote:
octopus wrote:

I always say, you got to get ugly to look beautiful. running outdoors, looking gross or athletic whatever you want to call it, helps me look better the rest of the day. besides, I promise that you will always see a runner who looks nuttier than you.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 10:04 pm
black sheep wrote:
octopus wrote:
black sheep wrote:
octopus wrote:

I always say, you got to get ugly to look beautiful. running outdoors, looking gross or athletic whatever you want to call it, helps me look better the rest of the day. besides, I promise that you will always see a runner who looks nuttier than you.

And someday, you'll be the woman who passes me as we run uphill... as you push a jogging stroller... with a two year old in it... while talking to the kid about what he wants for a snack when you get home.

Why yes, I'm still bitter about that Tongue Out

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 10:04 pm
I barefoot run (usually on a treadmill) about 18-20 miles a week (I have done more but find it hard to dedicate more time right now). I will argue that you will get stronger legs, hips, knees, etc with a BF running style. I could never run more than 3 miles before I started from the pain I experienced. Start off slowly and read a couple of good books on the topic and you can BF run too! I do wear long running tights and a sport skirt (as I have learned that I can have bare feet but not bare legs).

black sheep

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 10:05 pm
Tzippora wrote:
black sheep wrote:
octopus wrote:
black sheep wrote:
octopus wrote:

And someday, you'll be the woman who passes me as we run uphill... as you push a jogging stroller... with a two year old in it... while talking to the kid about what he wants for a snack when you get home.

Why yes, I'm still bitter about that Tongue Out

I hear you! nothing makes me more competitive than another runner trying to pass me.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 10:06 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Maya wrote:
Also, are runners really such a fascination? I never look twice (unless the runner is a woman with an awesome body and I have to focus on being jealous for a bit), and I've never noticed anyone else staring at runners. They're part of the scenery just like everything else.

Absolutely. All the time. There goes one now. Ordinary fine folk. But us? Is this an MO thing? It seems rather MMMO to me. I think an O woman should be supple as a whippet, strong as an ox and ripped as a ballerina, but not get that way where strangers can watch it happening, at least ideally. To me it's pretty guard-down, flitting sweetly by, or thumping and puffing as the case may be. Of course the other women are hermetically shink-wrapped in their neoprene spandex underwear, so unabashed and courageously shame free, though stark naked, and you are not. As for your not noticing folks gawking at them, you don't see obvious gawking at the ad posters either, but we wouldn't pose for them.

My private opinion is that a secular woman who runs outdoors will never marry. "I saw your wife running this morning" is not what a man wants to hear from another man. In that world. If it's fine in your world, that's different. You were dressed another way.

So I am not saying it's criminal, I am saying it isn't very O. There are lots of things that could be said of, that we don't do, or do our way, or do indoors.

So are you saying that if an O man sees an O woman running, he'll have an O?

OldYoung

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:00 pm
Endomondo is a great running app (for distance, not so great for treadmills). If you want to run in the winter, get a good pair of earmuffs! Also, I've found that wearing a wigrip under my bandana helps it from slipping backwards as I run. I've heard that running on a slight incline on the treadmill is to compensate for the wind resistance that would impact during outdoor running.

Good luck! You'll love it!

spring13

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:11 pm
Man, yall are making me want to be one of the cool kids too. I was going to start running once but the weather was awful the morning that I woke up intending to try it. can we say "lazy ima"?

It really grinds my gears when people says its untznius to run in a place where its normal to do so, dressed in exercise-appropriate modest clothes. Of all the stupid things to "asser"...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:34 pm
Did anyone ever lose their period From running? I did Fromm 15 miles weekly I currently stopped running and I got back my period

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:46 pm
Tzippora wrote:
Product endorsements for running:

- I wear 2 Moving Comfort Juno sports bras. I'm a DD and they are GOOD.

- Asics Nimbus 14s are the loves of my life.

- Target has good cheap running gear, the Champion shirts and compression gear lasts and is cheap. TJ Maxx sells odds and ends at good prices as well. Old Navy seems to have a decent line, I got a fleece running top with mesh underarm vents for $20 and it's saving my life this winter.

- SOCKS - Been using thick cushioned socks and they add an extra layer of support for your feet inside the show. I use no-shows, but they're really comfy inside the shoe.

- Hat - if you're going to wear a hat, for headcovering or otherwise, buy a light running cap for the summer - your head gets HOT - and something that covers your ears in the winter. You can run in much colder weather if you cover your ears.

- Roadrunnersports.com has a VIP membership that saves you LOTS of money if you shop there.

-Gu gel is kosher. You're welcome.

ETA:

I use MapMyRun to track all of my runs. It is an app on your smartphone that uses the phone's GPS, so you get accurate mileage and pace stats as well as better calorie-burning estimates. It automatically updates onto a website so you can do all this data mining as well.

Where do you get these? I really need better sports bras.

roze22

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:51 pm
For sports bra recs, I love my titlenine sports bras. I am on the bigger side, and they are the only ones that work for me.

If you are interested in c25k (which I recommend), you can look up playlists here: http://www.c25kplaylists.com/4801.html or http://runningintoshape.com/5k.....c25k/

They have all sorts of different music combinations. Good luck! For me the hardest part was getting past week 2.... so stick with it!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:57 pm
If any OUT OF SHAPE women want to go running on the UWS, let me know and I'll post an anon email address. I plan to start out with fast walking.

OUT OF SHAPE = You're out of breath after getting to the top of the subway stairs.

Dolly, we're going to go during New York City's women's hours, so we should be ok. (My New Years Resolution was to be strong like an ox and thin like a ballerina, as you note.)
(Just kidding.)

Seriously, though. Any takers?

anon because I currently don't look like an ox, but like a cow.

Tzippora

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 12:00 am
ooshes wrote:
Tzippora wrote:
Product endorsements for running:

- I wear 2 Moving Comfort Juno sports bras. I'm a DD and they are GOOD.

- Asics Nimbus 14s are the loves of my life.

- Target has good cheap running gear, the Champion shirts and compression gear lasts and is cheap. TJ Maxx sells odds and ends at good prices as well. Old Navy seems to have a decent line, I got a fleece running top with mesh underarm vents for $20 and it's saving my life this winter.

- SOCKS - Been using thick cushioned socks and they add an extra layer of support for your feet inside the show. I use no-shows, but they're really comfy inside the shoe.

- Hat - if you're going to wear a hat, for headcovering or otherwise, buy a light running cap for the summer - your head gets HOT - and something that covers your ears in the winter. You can run in much colder weather if you cover your ears.

- Roadrunnersports.com has a VIP membership that saves you LOTS of money if you shop there.

-Gu gel is kosher. You're welcome.

ETA:

I use MapMyRun to track all of my runs. It is an app on your smartphone that uses the phone's GPS, so you get accurate mileage and pace stats as well as better calorie-burning estimates. It automatically updates onto a website so you can do all this data mining as well.

Where do you get these? I really need better sports bras.

Just checked and realized I wear the fiona model, but the Juno is even more controlled, they say. You can buy them on amazon or any of the running good stores, but I tried them on at paragon on 19th st and broadway in manhattan to get the right fit.

moonstone

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:26 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Maya wrote:
Also, are runners really such a fascination? I never look twice (unless the runner is a woman with an awesome body and I have to focus on being jealous for a bit), and I've never noticed anyone else staring at runners. They're part of the scenery just like everything else.

Absolutely. All the time. There goes one now. Ordinary fine folk. But us? Is this an MO thing? It seems rather MMMO to me. I think an O woman should be supple as a whippet, strong as an ox and ripped as a ballerina, but not get that way where strangers can watch it happening, at least ideally. To me it's pretty guard-down, flitting sweetly by, or thumping and puffing as the case may be. Of course the other women are hermetically shink-wrapped in their neoprene spandex underwear, so unabashed and courageously shame free, though stark naked, and you are not. As for your not noticing folks gawking at them, you don't see obvious gawking at the ad posters either, but we wouldn't pose for them.

My private opinion is that a secular woman who runs outdoors will never marry. "I saw your wife running this morning" is not what a man wants to hear from another man. In that world. If it's fine in your world, that's different. You were dressed another way.

So I am not saying it's criminal, I am saying it isn't very O. There are lots of things that could be said of, that we don't do, or do our way, or do indoors.

LOL Are you serious? You must not get out very much, but lots and LOTS of secular married woman run. LOTS. Your comment sounds like something from an etiquette book from 1944. FTR, lots of frum women run too. I see them all the time- from bareheaded women in shorts to women wearing a tichel and skirt.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:59 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I am all for psychological health.

There are many ways to get it. This one is addictive however so I will not try to talk you out of it. I am afraid of and opposed to all addictions.

[removed at request of amother]

black sheep

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
Did anyone ever lose their period From running? I did Fromm 15 miles weekly I currently stopped running and I got back my period

wow. I run 40+ weekly and never had this problem. I always thought it happened to extreme athletes, who run like 100 miles weekly.

CatLady

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 11:55 am
I'm glad I live in Montreal, not Pleasantville, Stepford or Mayberry. So a woman running isn't a weird sight, and any comments I get sound not unlike the background to the oldie "Little Old Lady From Pasadena". (Go Granny, go Granny, go Granny, go!)

I was running a few years ago and loving it, but my hip wasn't. Does anyone have any good websites with stretching exercises? I'd love to get back to it, and if I start stretching beforehand, I think it'll help. I am also thinking of going to see a good sports physiotherapist for a few sessions. Any advice is appreciated!

My contribution to the excellent info in this thread is to download one of the many interval timer apps for your smartphone. it's easier than consulting my watch every 30 seconds, and I like having my phone with me for safety reasons.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise