Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I want to start running and need advice from runners.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

black sheep

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 11:59 am
edited at amother's request.

Last edited by black sheep on Mon, Jan 14 2013, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

black sheep

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 12:03 pm
edited at amothers request

Last edited by black sheep on Mon, Jan 14 2013, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yael

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 2:11 pm
amother's post was removed by request of the amother who had posted it.

Tzippora

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 7:54 pm
CatLady wrote:
I'm glad I live in Montreal, not Pleasantville, Stepford or Mayberry. So a woman running isn't a weird sight, and any comments I get sound not unlike the background to the oldie "Little Old Lady From Pasadena". (Go Granny, go Granny, go Granny, go!)

I was running a few years ago and loving it, but my hip wasn't. Does anyone have any good websites with stretching exercises? I'd love to get back to it, and if I start stretching beforehand, I think it'll help. I am also thinking of going to see a good sports physiotherapist for a few sessions. Any advice is appreciated!

My contribution to the excellent info in this thread is to download one of the many interval timer apps for your smartphone. it's easier than consulting my watch every 30 seconds, and I like having my phone with me for safety reasons.

You can try these exercises... I do yoga to loosen my hips - especially pigeon pose - and it helps a lot. Also, foam rollers are your friends.

Front of your hips:
http://www.runnersworld.com/he.....-hips
Piriformis/back of hips:
http://www.livestrong.com/arti.....ches/

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
Did anyone ever lose their period From running? I did Fromm 15 miles weekly I currently stopped running and I got back my period

Yes, there is a degree of extreme physical activity (of any kind) that will stop menstruation. I have no idea how much it takes. It has to be a whole lot. The body reads it as "we are in hardship or dangerous conditions and it isn't time to have a kid, which takes extra tranquility and extra safety". This occurs even though the athlete or dancer herself may not in the least see it that way. This is perfectly logical of the body. Ask any ob/gyn about this phenomenon or reflex.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:40 pm
CatLady wrote:
My contribution to the excellent info in this thread is to download one of the many interval timer apps for your smartphone. it's easier than consulting my watch every 30 seconds, and I like having my phone with me for safety reasons.

Thanks! The C25K apps for smartphones have audio prompts.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:43 pm
Thanks everyone for your input. It was immensely helpful.

I'm going to Jack Rabbit tomorrow to get my first official pair of running shoes and other gear which catches my interest.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:26 am
Maya wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. It was immensely helpful.

I'm going to Jack Rabbit tomorrow to get my first official pair of running shoes and other gear which catches my interest.

Make sure you go to the Manhattan 14th street one. The others are not as good.

black sheep

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:29 am
good luck maya. keep us posted as to how the running progresses!

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:35 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
My private opinion is that a secular woman who runs outdoors will never marry.

To quote Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan:
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 1:00 am
My advice: When buying running shoes, go when your feet are likely to be the largest (usually at the end of the day). It can make a difference by as much as 1/2 a size.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 4:14 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
amother wrote:
Did anyone ever lose their period From running? I did Fromm 15 miles weekly I currently stopped running and I got back my period

Yes, there is a degree of extreme physical activity (of any kind) that will stop menstruation. I have no idea how much it takes. It has to be a whole lot. The body reads it as "we are in hardship or dangerous conditions and it isn't time to have a kid, which takes extra tranquility and extra safety". This occurs even though the athlete or dancer herself may not in the least see it that way. This is perfectly logical of the body. Ask any ob/gyn about this phenomenon or reflex.

I would think this would only happen if you are on the lower end of your ideal weight to begin with.

Runner18

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:41 pm
Yeah usually this happens more when you a have low BMI (body mass index).

However, my period did get disrupted when I trained for full marathons, and I am not on the lower end of BMI. Training for half-marathons I didn't have an issues, but with full marathon training I had longer stretches between periods. I don't think it's totally physical though-- leading up to a race, the last think you want is to have your period when you're running 26.2 miles, and I think that my mental focus put off my period. Also, during marathon training my period is generally lighter, but that's just my experience.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 9:20 pm
For those of you who run and are in shape, what is a great 'in-shape' pace to run at, and how often?
I'm just wondering if I overdo it.
Thanks!

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
For those of you who run and are in shape, what is a great 'in-shape' pace to run at, and how often?
Thanks!

Don't worry too much about pace. It's your endurance that really shows your fitness level.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 9:39 pm
MrsDash wrote:
amother wrote:
Thanks!

Don't worry too much about pace. It's your endurance that really shows your fitness level.

That's just it- my endurance is fine during my run, it's post-workout that I feel awful and in such pain! That's why I want to know!

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
MrsDash wrote:
amother wrote:
Thanks!

That's just it- my endurance is fine during my run, it's post-workout that I feel awful and in such pain! That's why I want to know!

That's difficult to answer, because you can have someone who runs 12 minute miles be in better shaped than someone who runs 8 minute miles. It really depends on how long you can run at a certain pace. If you can run 8 minute miles, but get exhausted after 3 miles, you may want to slow your pace down to extend your mileage. Hal Higdon is a runner and writer. I very much respect his advice. I used some of his programs for 1/2 marathons. He stresses on the fact that people should focus on distance rather than pace. The longer you can run, the better shape you're in.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 10:06 am
Excellent advice here and very well written! Never thought of it that way!

Runner18

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 10:10 am
The 'talk test' is this idea that you run at a pace in which you could carry a conversation. Maybe try that and see if you feel any less awful after

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 7:01 pm
I just want to update this thread.

I started my C25K program, and it went well until the end of the fourth week. But then one night, my knees started to really hurt, and I panicked and gave up. I'm back on the elliptical for now.

My knees had been a concern for me from the beginning, and I was on the lookout to see if I would feel anything worse from the running. As soon as that happened, I decided to quit before things got worse.

I have another twenty pounds to my weight loss goal. I think I'll try again when I reach that point, and see then if it's the extra weight that is a problem, or if my knees are really bad.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise