Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How much to live in yerushalaim?
1  2  Next

FASMA

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 2:03 am
The other post about how much it costs to live in Israel got me thinking that you can help me out here.
We are planing on moving to Israel (probably not Aliyah) and want to know how much money do we need a month to live in yerushalaim specifically in bait vagan neighborhood.
We need a 2-3 bedroom apartment, no car and no tuitions (only a 1 year old baby and us 2). My husband is in Kolel if that makes a difference.
Thank you very much in advance!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 1:20 pm
Bump
I'm also interested to know

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 3:02 pm
How much do you need to live in Brooklyn? Same size family.

FASMA

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 3:34 pm
I don't know. I don't live in Brooklyn! I live in Latin America so I have no clue about Brooklyn's living.
My question is: is $2500 dls too little? Too much?

Mrs.K

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 4:05 pm
I don't think $2500 is enough. Maybe you can just get by as you wrote no tuitions and 1 baby, but it would be quite tight.

Your expenses will be similar if you live in or out of Yerushalayim - your one big change will be rent. (There are smaller differences plus or minus, but this is your biggie.) So I think you'd need to figure out your rent and take it from there. Let's say a 2 or 3 bedroom will be $1500 (rough estimate). So you must then ask yourself if food, insurance, arnona, vaad bayit, utilities, transportation, etc. etc. can stay within $1000. That's a pretty tight squeeze.

Liba

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 5:02 pm
Do you need a nice place with light and windows, or would you be happy living in a storage room that was converted into an apartment?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 5:26 pm
we live on that amount per month. we cant buy everything we want but we dont have to scrimp every penny. but it definatly depends on your rent, we only pay $1200 and we get reduced arnona which makes a massive difference.

FASMA

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 10:42 pm
Thank you very much for your responses.
I get that's not enough,
That's the amount we could get now so that's why we are waiting, we are trying to figuring it out how much more do we need and how to get it
So I ask now how much do we really need? I don't know how much grocery bills are and everything else. We want to live normally, not too tight, not too loose.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 2:10 am
FASMA wrote:
Thank you very much for your responses.
I get that's not enough,
That's the amount we could get now so that's why we are waiting, we are trying to figuring it out how much more do we need and how to get it
So I ask now how much do we really need? I don't know how much grocery bills are and everything else. We want to live normally, not too tight, not too loose.

You can live somewhere else in Israel with much lower rent.

sara_s

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 3:02 am
You could also live in a cheaper area of jerusalem where rent is lower. For instance in kiryat yovel, a secular area next to bayit vegan that chareidim are moving into, rent is probably 800 dollars for a 2 bedroom apartnent

FASMA

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 12:00 am
Thank you for the advice, it's good to know we have enough to make the move
But if we wanted to live in yerushalaim and let's say pay around $1300 dls ($4300 NIS) how much do we need for living? How much does it cost to live there for a small, young family?
TiA

jackiejoel3

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 2:32 am
Its impossible to tell you how much you need as we don't know what you consider "regular" You should be able to keep groceries to 400NIS a week without too much trouble. Will you be making aliyah or will you need private health insurance? That is also an expense especially if there is a chance you will become pregnant while you are here. If you want to live in Bayit Vegan you should assume that you will be paying 4500 NIS for a 2 bedroom and could be as much as 5000 if you need it furnished. You may find something for a little less but you shouldn't count on it. If kiryat yovel is a place you would consider rent will be cheaper but most of the charedi chutzniks that live there are french not anglo or spainsh speaking. Har Nof has a significant Latin American population but it wont be any cheaper then Bayit Vegan and is less convenient if that is a concern for you. 2500$ budget can be done but you will probably need to adjust your lifestyle somewhat. 12 years ago we lived on 2000$ including rent but Everything has gone up since then so I can't say as we are a larger family these days B"H. If you have specific questions feel free to ask.

TzipG

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 6:06 am
I have a lot of friends renting in Har Nof. The vast majority pay 4000-5000 for a 3 bedroom apt. I can't imagine a 1.5/2 bedroom apartment goes for the same price. They are harder to find but they must be cheaper than 4000.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 6:36 am
But OP wouldn't go for a 1.5 bedroom. She said 2 or 3 bedroom which is a 3 or 4 room apartment. Even an old run down 4 room can go for $1800 and that's not in the fancier neighborhoods.

FASMA

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 2:37 am
Hi, so we were reevaluating and could be able to get $3000 dls a month. Would that be enough in a 2 bedroom apartment?
We might move later to a cheaper place but at the beginning we have to be in this area
Tia

jackiejoel3

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 3:11 am
3000 should do it.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:45 am
jackiejoel3 wrote:
Will you be making aliyah or will you need private health insurance? That is also an expense especially if there is a chance you will become pregnant while you are here.

You can get on bituach leumi as long as you are on a visa for 6 months, you don't need to make aliya. And once you get on bituach leumi I think they reimburse you for at least part of what you were paying out of pocket before.
I would think that even $2500 is enough to live on but BH my rent is very low. We also have no transportation costs (I work from home, DH bikes to yeshiva). Also if you are able to buy chicken/shnitzel in one of the bulk sales like the Mir sale you will save a lot of money.

FASMA

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 12:18 pm
Previous amother could you explain more about the bituach leumi without making Aliyah? We won't be making Aliyah at first so I'm interested in that
Do you mean that after living there for 6 months you could be part of it or that if you go for 6 months you could be part of it? Thank you

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 1:09 pm
FASMA wrote:
Previous amother could you explain more about the bituach leumi without making Aliyah? We won't be making Aliyah at first so I'm interested in that
Do you mean that after living there for 6 months you could be part of it or that if you go for 6 months you could be part of it? Thank you

I don't remember all the details because we did it a few years ago and my husband took care of most of it. But basically if you have a visa and are in the country for 6 months you can get onto bituach leumi. (If you have a visa and then left but came back the time you left for doesnt count. It needs to be 180 days, with a visa, in the country.) So you want to try to get a visa ASAP. After 6 months you need to go down to misrad hapnim with your passport and print out a "daf hotza'ot v'hachnasot" which lists all the dates you entered and left the country. That is your proof that you were here for 6 months. After that you fill out all the right forms, include the proper amount of copies of your passport and visa, etc, and submit the bituach leumi application. (I don't know what your DH will be doing but if he's in the Mir they have all the necessary forms for all the applications in their office.)

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
FASMA wrote:

I don't remember all the details because we did it a few years ago and my husband took care of most of it. But basically if you have a visa and are in the country for 6 months you can get onto bituach leumi. (If you have a visa and then left but came back the time you left for doesnt count. It needs to be 180 days, with a visa, in the country.) So you want to try to get a visa ASAP. After 6 months you need to go down to misrad hapnim with your passport and print out a "daf hotza'ot v'hachnasot" which lists all the dates you entered and left the country. That is your proof that you were here for 6 months. After that you fill out all the right forms, include the proper amount of copies of your passport and visa, etc, and submit the bituach leumi application. (I don't know what your DH will be doing but if he's in the Mir they have all the necessary forms for all the applications in their office.)

Me again. Just want to add that I've been on bituach leumi for over 2 years without making aliya and have no issues. They paid for my baby to be born here, I get the child support payment every month (forgot what it's called in hebrew...), etc
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions