Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Sabbatical Year

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 10:53 am
Dh has been thinking of taking a year to go to Israel. Not a year off from work. He can work from home, just a year to try out Israel. We've always talked about making Aliyah but we're kind of scared to commit. Plus, we live a very comfortable (spritually as well as materialistically) life right where we are right now so it's not like we HAVE to go... We just kind of want to. But I'm scared about living a more challenging life. I realize that sounds spoiled. I'm not really. Just afraid of change, more than anything. Which is why we want to try it out.

But we don't know where to start. I would LOVE to live on a Kibbutz Dati for a year. We have 5 kids ages 0-8 and I think it would be great for them (especially if it's just for a year) But dh is more urban and wants to live in a city. Not Tel Aviv, but maybe something more urbane than a farm. I LOVE Yerushalaim but I'm afraid that most of the population there might be seasonal and I don't know if there will be a community. We have relatives in Ranana but dh didn't like the place too much.

We're Zionist Americans, Sort of a cross between Chabad and DL. (more to the DL side than Chabad though) Our budget is... Well... not unlimited but B'H it's not an issue.

Where do we start????

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 10:57 am
Want to come to Ma'ale Adumim? We are in Mitzpe Nevo which is a lovely community. Great families, community feel (but still within a city), close to Y-m, great public transpartation, we are very happy with the schools and ganim. PM me for more info. :-)

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 11:25 am
How LWDL are you? Because kibbutz hadati is very, very. Very. Like DL super lite. I am not judging, just giving you a FYI. Because if that is not your hashkafa, it will not suit you.

jackiejoel3

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 12:05 pm
Jerusalem has many communities that are not seasonal. Just ask around and you will find a nice place. Kiryat Moshe might really be great for you and they have a small but growing anglo community that is very welcoming. If you come let me know and I can make some introductions. Plus you are close enough to Har Nof if you want english ganim for the little ones or a school like the mamad in harnof that will have ulpan for your school aged kids etc. Depending on where you fall on the spectrum the bottom of harnof may work well for you. There is a nice sized dati Leumi community there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions