Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Calling all Imamothers who exercise, when/how do you do it?
1  2  3  Next

How often do you exercise
About three times a week  
 36%  [ 39 ]
About three times a week  
 36%  [ 39 ]
Less than 2 times a week  
 5%  [ 6 ]
Exercise? Who has time?  
 18%  [ 20 ]
more than 3 times a week  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 107

Smiling Wife

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 5:34 pm
Help me here:

I am trying to figure out when will I exercise. I really want to make it part of my life, but I have no clue when to do it. I wake up at 7 am and that is the earliest since I work funky hours and therefore I sleep later than most.
What do you do for exercise ?
For how long? Daily?
Go and run have equipment at home or something else you do/turn on music and dance??
How do you get yourself to do it every day? I am battling a monster called laziness!

imabima

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:04 pm
I go to an all women's gym that has babysitting. I almost exclusively use the treadmill there and I go about 4 mornings a week for an hour. I run between 3 and 5 miles but I'm building. Before kids and being frum, I was a competitive runner, so even though that was several years ago, I still feel like my new regimen is not enough. I'm doing my best, though!
Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:16 pm
I also go to a women's gym with babysitting. I go a couple of mornings a week (with my baby so she gets to play and interact with other kids), and also a couple of evenings a week with a friend.

I am also super lazy about exercising which is why I originally joined the gym with a friend. I needed someone else to be pushing me to go, and once I'm paying for the gym, I feel like I need to get my money's worth Very Happy

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:17 pm
Waking up at 7 a.m. is sleeping later than most? Smile It's still dark out here at that hour.

If you want to start exercising, you have to see which time of the day works best for you and where it is most convenient for you to do it.

I work out at a gym that has a nursery for my baby, but most days he's at the babysitter. I work out five days a week. I used to do the elliptical for 35 minutes and then toning with weights 2-3 days a week. Now I am doing a running program on the treadmill, plus a personal trainer once a week for toning and core work.

I'm not working at the moment so I have all day free to get to the gym, but I usually go in the mornings because if I do something else first and then try to get there, I never end up doing so.

Yonit321

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:22 pm
My husband thinks it is really important so he will make time for me to go and stay at home with kids

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:51 pm
I used to take a class during lunch then it became too hard to manage, so I take classes before work and on Sundays.

I used to also go back at night sometimes but then my hips started hurting all of the time ....

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:52 pm
I also have a gym with babysitting, so I take my two year olds in the morning 3 times a week and take an hour long class. If I'm going to exercise, it must be in the morning, or I won't do it.

anotherima

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:55 pm
two of your choices on the poll is three times a week. I work out six days a week.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 6:57 pm
Let's see. I do squats a few times a week when I get stuff out from under the beds. I do stretches when putting stuff away in cabinets, sweeping or wiping down counters, and that downward yoga pose every time I pick up clutter from the floor. I lift weights when I put away bins full of toys or carry my DD, go up and down the stairs several times a day and run after my DD if she goes exploring to close to the street.

Pshew. That's enough exercise for me!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 7:01 pm
You might be tired but it's not really exercise. Your body won't change that way and it doesn't challenge your heart or strengthen your muscles.

STovah

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 7:30 pm
I get up at 5:30ish 4 times a week to do a 30 minute program on my exercise bike and I try to get to a yoga class 1 or 2 times a week at night. Other times, I've used dvds at night once my kids are asleep. No real difference in my figure, but my energy levels are much higher. It's tough to find time to exercise as a mother working full-time, but I try.

UQT

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 8:11 pm
Try a DVD. Julllian Michael's 30 Day shred gives you an insane workout in 25 minutes (OK doesn't include showering time etc.) but I find it possible to work it in 3 times a week, since I always do it at the same time - no matter what!

Be prepared for some serious muscle aches after the first few times, it's very intense but you'll get the most for an at home workout in the shortest amount of time.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 8:48 pm
30 day Shred is an incredible workout! It's very challenging.

black sheep

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:40 pm
as a mother, I exercise all day long. I exercise my patience. I strengthen my resolve. I stretch my imagination. and all that is done in the 20 minutes it takes to dress my toddler!

but really, I work out six days a week. most days I try to get to the gym in the morning, but if I can't I squeeze in some kind of workout at any point in the day when I have at least 30 minutes to spare. I never have time to work out, but I make the time because it is a major priority to me. some days, I just go out for a 20 minute brisk walk. it's better than nothing. but I prefer an hour long run when I'm able to squeeze it in.

I advise you to start by deciding that exercising is a priority, and setting aside an hour each day when you will treat your workout like a job. the only reason to cancel your workout is if you are sick. we find the time to do everything else, why not this?

ilovestrollers

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:05 pm
I exercise 5-6 days a week for 30 min on the treadmill. I've been doing it for over a year already - and have seen great results.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:43 pm
Just doing a simple stretch routine after every shower, while standing on a mat right in the shower, is a good start.

The hot/warm water has loosened your muscles, so that's a good moment.

Takes no time at all and makes a difference.

farm

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:50 am
45 min (1 episode of Lost/ER/Grey's/House) on the treadmill after kiddies are in bed every night. Any why don't you have an option for >3 times/week?

slushiemom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 2:36 pm
I go to Zumba aprox 3 times a week after the kids are asleep. I also run one or two mornings a week when the kids are in gan.

eschaya

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 5:24 pm
Wow. Thank you all for the inspiration. I think I need to get back to exercising.
Dh and I actually spent a few hours this past week trying to find an affordable treadmill on craigslist. I used to have a gym membership but since dh is out of the house in the evenings and I have kids and now a baby I just can't find the time to get there (and refuse to hire a babysitter to go to the already expensive gym, so I recently cancelled my membership. But you've just reminded me that I really must get moving. Here's to finding the perfect (ie: inexpensive) treadmill!

SRD

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 6:00 pm
To get ourselves exercising my husband and I have a bet going, we exercise together twice a week - one night I choose what the activity is and the other night (or rather morning) he chooses. We go at the same time each week. Whoever cancels more has to buy the other a lamb dinner with wine. (So far I'm winning). It's working really well for us. We also take a long walk on shabbos, which isn't 'exercise' but at least we're out their moving our muscles.

As for finding the time - we go at the same time each week.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise