Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
ALOT is NOT a word!
1  2  3  4  Next

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:26 am
There's a space - it's two separate words!!!!

I have a lot of cash. You don't have alot of cash. It's not a word!!!! Look it up.

Furthermore, You don't loose weight. You lose weight. However, you may have a loose tooth.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:27 am
go DEFY!

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:28 am
I know I know.
But ALOT should be a word, and one day it just might.
Apparently apron use to be a pron, at least I think it did....but it changed.

I think we should start a pettition to get ALOT recognized as a real word.
Just because I have nothing bettter to do.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:31 am
I just don't understand how people don't realize that lot is a word unto itself.

Maybe we should just start attaching "a" to any word that comes after it.

I live in ahouse. I wish I owned ahorse. Would you like to join me for amovie?

Oh, and another things that really gets my goad is when people write that they "should of done such and such." You SHOULD HAVE done such and such!!!!

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:37 am
because, like so many other words we use today, and so many other grammatical constructions, language changes with use.
Alright is also not right; but people use it all the time.

I'm trying to think of other, recent changes, but I can't.

Anyway, girl use to mean child of either relations, awful meant inspiring awe, and terrible meant inspiring terror (not that the item was disgusting or whatever).

You are right, it is wrong, but I wonder if it will still be wrong fifty years from now....

Ima'la

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:37 am
Defy, you are ariot.

That being said, I don't think people should have to pass an English test to obtain membership on this site and shouldn't be made to feel bad for their poor spelling and/or grammar. English isn't even the first language of everyone here.

Although, I can't deny sometimes wanting to attack my screen with a red pen!

Last edited by Ima'la on Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:39 am
Isn't it gets my goat or have I been hearing wrong all this time or did you simply type the word wrong? I really want to know, I'm not trying to tease or anything....

Ima'la

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:43 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Isn't it gets my goat or have I been hearing wrong all this time or did you simply type the word wrong? I really want to know, I'm not trying to tease or anything....

YES!!!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:47 am
Goad, not goat.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:49 am
Are you certain? Try googling...I come up with goat.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:51 am
Quote:
Definitions of goad on the Web:

spur: give heart or courage to urge with or as if with a goad
prod: a pointed instrument that is used to prod into a state of motion
stab or urge on as if with a pointed stick
a verbalization that encourages you to attempt something; "the ceaseless prodding got on his nerves"
needle: goad or provoke,as by constant criticism; "He needled her with his sarcastic remarks"

Goading means "to provoke". Therefore, saying that something really "gets my goad", means that they are "really provoking me."

ETA: so I guess I'm right about my word usage.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:53 am
Quote:
- get one's goat : to make one angry or annoyed

source: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dic.....t+one's+goat

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:54 am
for those that are interested here's some stuff I found on the issue.

Quote:
Get one's goat
Meaning: Invoke an angry and emotional response; to aggravate, irritate or annoy.
Example: People in cars often provide hand signals to communicate their dissatisfaction with your driving. They are trying to get your goat, so just smile and wave.
Origin: This may be a mispronunciation of "get your goad". A goad is a pointed rod used to urge on livestock. A modern equivalent of a goad is the cattle prod.

To goad is to stimulate into action. The phrase "goad you on" comes to mind. To "get your goat (goad)" then is to be successful in stimulating a response.

Alternative: The word gut down through the years was altered to goat. When something gets your gut, it upsets you and ties your stomach in knots.

Alternative: Hyperactive racehorses were often given goats as stablemates because their presence tended to have a calming effect on the horses. After the horse became attached to the goat, it got very upset when its companion disappeared - making it run poorly on the track. In the 19th century, when a devious gambler wanted a horse to lose, he would get the horse's goat and take it away the night before the race, thus agitating the horse.

From here:http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrasesG.htm

I love this type of stuff; word and phrase origins. Very fun to find out why we really say what we say.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:56 am
I'll sign the petition I like alot a lot.
as far as the goad/goat - this saying comes from a mascot goat which players used to steal from other team in order to specifically make them nervous and possibly lose game - hence it is "don't let them get your GOAT"
I'd like to think I spell correctly most of the time. Sumexs I am in a rush and get
Konfused so I just spell it any which way or anyway I darn well pleeze. firefox has spell check if anyone wants to be proper.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:58 am
As a note to anyone that's not completely following the discussion - I wasn't wrong in using the word goad!

Just want to make that clear!

Smile

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:59 am
Get your goat

Meaning: Invoke an angry and emotional response.
Example: People in cars often provide hand signals to communicate their dissatisfaction with your driving. They are trying to get your goat, so just smile and wave.
Origin: This may be a mispronunciation of "get your goad". A goad is a pointed rod used to urge on livestock. A modern equivalent of a goad is the cattle prod.

To goad is to stimulate into action. The phrase "goad you on" comes to mind. To "get your goat (goad)" then is to be successful in stimulating a response.

Alternatively,

The word gut down through the years was altered to goat. When something gets your gut, it upsets you and ties your stomach in knots.

Thanks to Cheryl Myers

Or maybe quite literally, it seems to me that if a shepherd's goat is stolen, he'd be rightly pissed off.

Thanks to Amy Vivi

Ima'la

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 11:07 am
hold on...I know what "goad" means, but have you found a source for the phrase "get my goad"? That I've never heard.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 11:20 am
My mother has been an English teacher for 30 years so she is always correcting our grammar. Something she taught me years ago that irks me whenever I hear people say it is, "I chose "these ones' because I didn't like 'those ones' ". The word "ones" is redundant because these or those means they are there, ie you are looking at or pointing to them, so you don't need to say "ones"!!!!!

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 11:25 am
I had a fit when one of my kids teacher sent a letter home with the word alot. It was an english teacher mind you.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 11:28 am
In 8th grade I had a teacher that wrote "alot" and I corrected her. She didn't believe that she was wrong, so I opened up a dictionary!
I had just learned the year before that "a lot" was two separate words.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics