Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much can I sell this for?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:08 pm
I want to sell my master bedroom set. It is 14 years old. It has 2 48 inch headboards, a dresser and mirror, armoire, and night table. It is in good condition, but it is a bit scuffed at the edges. We paid about 5,000 dollars for it. How much can we ask for it now?

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:09 pm
post a picture

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:11 pm
Wish I knew how! I'm not trying to sell it here. Just trying to get a picture of what these kind of things can sell for.

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:14 pm
Probably about half what you paid for it. Or start at half, and be willing to listen to other offers. Of course, the less money you ask for the more offers you'll get.

Barbara

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:22 pm
Check Craigslist and ebay to see what people are getting for similar furniture.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:28 pm
I'm sure it also depends on the quality of the wood and workmanship. Do comparative second-hand shopping on line. This should help you come up with a reasonable price.

Barbara

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:33 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
Probably about half what you paid for it. Or start at half, and be willing to listen to other offers. Of course, the less money you ask for the more offers you'll get.

At 15 years old, and not in perfect condition, I'd say 20% would be lucky, but I could be wrong. The only used furniture I've ever purchased is a dining room table, and I paid about 10% to 15% of original value. I checked a bit and found people trying to sell Thomasville bedroom sets of the same vintage for $1000, with no takers. Or as one site I found stated:

Quote:
Used furniture tends to depreciate rapidly, unless it's an unusual piece or a pristine and rare antique. The markup on new furniture is extremely high (500%+...my father used to work in that industry).

So a 3 yr old set that cost $7K when purchased new will likely fetch less than $2K now. Why? Because the people who buy used furniture are doing so because they are looking for bargains. Their budgets are a lot lower and the demand for used pieces in the thousands of dollars isn't there unless you're talking known high end (like Baker, for instance) or antiques.

It doesn't matter what you paid for the furniture. It's only worth what someone else will pay for it and how quickly you want/need to sell it.

I've seen nice furniture only a few years old go for 10% of the original retail price.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum.....tbuY0

Reesa

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:40 pm
You're not going to make a lot of money on it. If you want to get rid of it, take whatever you can get. even 20% sounds high.

yitta25

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 7:51 pm
Ive tried selling my bedroom. Original cost was about $6kt. No takers. I wanted 3k. Furniture was 6 years old at that time. I ended up giving it to my parents. I figured they paid 1/2 of it, so let them enjoy it.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 9:33 pm
Ok. I'm a bit discouraged, but I appreciate the answers. Thank you.

bookie

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 5:38 am
I bought a used dining room set that was only four years old. They paid 10k and I bought it for 2K. They were trying to sell it for a while before lowering the price.

cs1

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 7:01 am
14 years is a long time.
You will not be able to sell it for much. $1000 or $1500 is the most I would think.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 7:02 am
I would say $500-$750 is all you can get

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 7:04 am
I also agree that if you can get $1,000 grab it...

wtvr

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 7:11 am
You can try to sell the pieces individually, especially if some of them are in better condition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics