Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you had $20,000 to give to tzedakah, where would it go?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 4:30 pm
I must start by saying that I am someone who has to go through IVF to have kids/

The cost of a single cycle is way out of my budget and the only way I can even get a chance is with the help of bonei olam.

They have paid for my cycles, given me loans and helped me in so many ways.

No I was no zoche yet to my dreams but I can still say that as long as bonei olam can help me together we can try to reach my dream!!

We have so far only done one fresh cycle which bh resulted in many embroyos which we froze and now for subsequent cycles the cost is much cheaper cause we dont have to start fresh.

So as I said I am bias to the situation and everytime bonei olam gives me money they take a gamble it is no garuntee but no one can garuntee like hashem.

I shared this whole stroy just to say how much bonie olam can benifit from such money!

interestingly I just had a conversation with my husband last night telling him if we ever had money to donate or if we ever make it rich my first priority of tzedakah will go straight to bonei olam!!! yes becasue they help me and so many others!!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 4:42 pm
CYLOR. Note, I said consult, ask for an eitzah, don't necessarily pose it as a shaila but as a brain-picking session.

STovah

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 4:55 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
CYLOR. Note, I said consult, ask for an eitzah, don't necessarily pose it as a shaila but as a brain-picking session.

I would second this suggestion.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 6:09 pm
Any tzedaka you give might go to "waste". you could give it to a cancer charity and they might spend it on a futile line of research.

so I wouldn't worry about that.

peanut37

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 6:09 pm
another idea is hachnosas kallah, I know IF is close to your heart and that's why you thought of Bonai Olam, but if it's about bringing jewish neshamos into the world then helping marry off jewish couples would definitely be helping towards that same goal.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 8:00 pm
Oh, and I assume that if she left you that much that she also endowed causes that were near and dear to her heart. So I would go with what your heart (and mind) say, providing it's not a cause she wasn't exactly enamored of.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 8:39 pm
As someone previously mentioned, starting a gemach (interest free loans) is probably the best way to use the money as the tzedakah can and will be used over and over again. (We have elderly relatives who, at the advice of their Rav, set up a gemach with a significant amount of money so that they would continue to get zechuyos even after they pass away.) And, as others have mentioned too, it is always a good idea to consult with your Rav who can advise you and discuss a practical plan...

avigayil

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:06 pm
I would give to my kids school. We have kids going there whose parents are ill, unemployed, orphans..and struggling to pay bills. I would designate it to the tuition of a family of orphans.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:09 pm
just to clarify!
the amother at the top of page 2 is not the OP
It is someone who shared why I thought money going to bonei olam is worth it!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:14 pm
it would be nice to do something li'iluy nishmas the nifteres.

I can't guarantee what I would do, but I would hope to go through the priority list and try to divide it to many places, including relatives and people that I know that are in need, as well as organizations and funds that I see and hear about.

I would suggest that you look into these two organizations, which are endorsed by the gedolei hador.

Kupat Hair 866-221-9352

Vaad Harabbanim 877-822-3427
http://www.vaadharabbanim.com/

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:20 pm
How about giving it to a desperate family, and saving them from despair. It can make a much bigger impact on an individual then on a organization.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:42 pm
I would give it to Chai Lifeline. They have helped members of my family tremendously, more than once.

jflower

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:50 pm
RCCS (Rofeh Cholim Cancer Society) makes insurance payments so that patients can get the best care for their particular situation. They literally save lives.

I would probably split the $$$$ between Bonei Olam & RCCS.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:57 pm
I would slit it up
I think chai lifeline and kids of courage are both great org that do so much a really makes a diff in peoples life

the boni olem idea is a beautful idea

amother

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 5:34 am
I would give some if not all to www.efrat.org.il.
It is literally saving lives of precious babies. There is nothing like saving a life.

But, I must agree with the other posters who said to ask a Rav. We most definately would do that first.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 5:35 am
Same amother as above. I am ussually not amother, but I was assisted greatly by Efrat and wish to remain anonymous.

freidasima

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 8:10 am
It sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but it's not on the large scale.
If you want your grandmother to be remembered it should be something that carries her name on.
If you donate the entire $20,000 for a prize fund or scholarship fund and it is well invested at 5% a year (which is about the most you can count on today), that is $1000 a year interest to be given as a scholarship in her name. And as the principle remains so that it can be given year after year after year in her memory with a ceremony in which you can even talk about her so that people will know that she was such a good person and this is in her zechus.

MiriW

Post Wed, Feb 16 2011, 10:17 am
I second the suggestion of giving to yeshivas/learning institutions for ba'alei teshuvas, or programs that give non-frum Jews the chance to learn Torah values. You can literally build lives and Torah observant families. These institutions are seriously in need of funds.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 1:43 pm
OP here with an update:

A year and a half later, here is what happened:

We ended up giving it to our Rav as a middle man to give to a couple in our shul who were having IF issues. (We know because a) they got married late and were married for a number of years without kids and b) he spoke to dh briefly about it and I spoke to her about it) They did not know who it was for.

The Rav used it for them.

We found out today that she's expecting!!!! I was sobbing. They are IYH going to be amazing parents. They are so holy and kind and aidel. AMEN and Baruch HAshem!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
OP here with an update:

A year and a half later, here is what happened:

We ended up giving it to our Rav as a middle man to give to a couple in our shul who were having IF issues. (We know because a) they got married late and were married for a number of years without kids and b) he spoke to dh briefly about it and I spoke to her about it) They did not know who it was for.

The Rav used it for them.

We found out today that she's expecting!!!! I was sobbing. They are IYH going to be amazing parents. They are so holy and kind and aidel. AMEN and Baruch HAshem!

B'shaa tova! You did something amazing, and may we hear good news, iy"H.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics