Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Business advice needed
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 4:16 pm
I have a great idea to create something. Its something that will sell and can be sold in major stores. I am so passionate about it and really believe it can be great. After tons of research I found a company that it is already extremely successful and established. They have had a lot of exposure in magazines, even in movies and have celebrity clients. I only found them in 2 major retail stores. Now my question is, do I continue to pursue and try to get in with other retail stores? Its not an invention that needs to be patented. It can be extreme competition for me but I am trying to get a similar product done for cheaper. If I am able to bring down the price, should I pursue this dream of mine?

lili123

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 4:26 pm
Hi

Pursuing your dream is always great.

in my experience, you may be able to position your product differently and that will make all the difference. There are many ways to compete other than price and price is not even the best way (b/c someone can always undercut you).

I am a business coach, so if you'd like to talk, feel free to pm me. No charges involved.

Good luck

yiddishe woman

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 3:53 pm
searching where to post my query.. haven't found the right place on this website.. hope here is ok.
Im 25 yrs old with a learning husband, I wanted to look for a way to bring in extra money into the family, so I put myself into the sheital business and once I was happy with he company I was dealing with in china and after sampling 2 wigs I decided to order some and spread the word. I managed to sell about 20 and used the income to buy some more. I made it clear to all customers my policy if you are unhappy with the quality, I will return it to company for fixing up to a year . meanwhile, one of my customers, which happens to be a neighbour of mine, was unhappy with hers and returned it to me just a few months before the 'year' ran up. I sent it back to the company and am still awaiting to hear their evaluation. I informed her I will do my best to give her the best service and that I am waiting to hear from her. in this time, her husband met mine and told him that his wife is really upset and I forced he into buyin a rubbish wig... my husband told him tell your wfe to discuss it with mine and she hs her own choice she didn't have to buy no one forced her. she didn't come back to me and instead sends me a horrible text message a few days later saying 'I am buying a new wig for yom tov and I need the money" I wrote back 'you will not be getting a new wig you will be getting a repaired one and I am waiting for the company to return it'. sh then wrote back 'its your problem to deal with the supplier I do not have to except a new wg from you and I can as for my money back. ifeel its not right wat you ar doing and I have missed out n a few sales bc of you!if I don't get my money back I will have no choice but to speak to daas torah'
I am in a real pickle bc iam really friendly with her and do not wanto make this into a fight. I just need some advice.
thanks fo reading. lemmee hear what you guys have to offer!
btw, now that ive gotten if off my heart I already feel better!!

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:50 pm
yiddishe woman wrote:
searching where to post my query.. haven't found the right place on this website.. hope here is ok.
Im 25 yrs old with a learning husband, I wanted to look for a way to bring in extra money into the family, so I put myself into the sheital business and once I was happy with he company I was dealing with in china and after sampling 2 wigs I decided to order some and spread the word. I managed to sell about 20 and used the income to buy some more. I made it clear to all customers my policy if you are unhappy with the quality, I will return it to company for fixing up to a year . meanwhile, one of my customers, which happens to be a neighbour of mine, was unhappy with hers and returned it to me just a few months before the 'year' ran up. I sent it back to the company and am still awaiting to hear their evaluation. I informed her I will do my best to give her the best service and that I am waiting to hear from her. in this time, her husband met mine and told him that his wife is really upset and I forced he into buyin a rubbish wig... my husband told him tell your wfe to discuss it with mine and she hs her own choice she didn't have to buy no one forced her. she didn't come back to me and instead sends me a horrible text message a few days later saying 'I am buying a new wig for yom tov and I need the money" I wrote back 'you will not be getting a new wig you will be getting a repaired one and I am waiting for the company to return it'. sh then wrote back 'its your problem to deal with the supplier I do not have to except a new wg from you and I can as for my money back. ifeel its not right wat you ar doing and I have missed out n a few sales bc of you!if I don't get my money back I will have no choice but to speak to daas torah'
I am in a real pickle bc iam really friendly with her and do not wanto make this into a fight. I just need some advice.

You should ask a rav. There are lots of details we don't know (was it really not fit to wear? how long ago did you send it to the company? etc.) Even if we knew the details we don't know the halacha.

If the wig was actually faulty (also, what kind of guarantee did you give? If you don't like it? Or if it doesn't look like new anymore? Or if the hair falls out?) and you guaranteed it for a year, she is right that her dealing is with you. I don't know what halacha would consider a reasonable amount of time to return her repaired wig. Say it takes 3 months or 6 months - do you think you can shake off your responsibility and blame it on the supplier?

Also the fact that you are a kolel wife does not mean you have more leeway when doing business because people should be glad to support you. It means that you have even more responsibility to act according to halacha and be 100% sure you are acting fairly in your business dealings.

Signed, a kolel wife with her own business

lili123

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:59 pm
These things do happen and you should chalk it up to a learning experience.

Definitely speak to a rav.

For the future, have all the terms clearly set in writing (how long you accept the shaitel back, how soon will they receive it, they will receive a fixed sheital not a new one). This way ther aren't ever any questions.

It's important to distinguish between giving a great service and working with people who are unreasonable. Just b/c you are neighbors does not mean she can be mean. On your side, just stay polite and professional.

Good luck

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 5:03 pm
It's odd she returns it after six months. Suddenly it's not ok after all that time? You have a very, very long return period. But I don't know the wig business at all.

I think you have to make her happy, smile, swallow the loss, and raise all your prices a little bit across the board, to cover the occasional customer like this. Yes, the nice people have to pay for the few who do stuff to retailers. That is a very old story. And never, ever, sell her anything again.

Just say, "oh, I don't have anything quite right for you. I will let you know if I get something perfect for you." Then, of course, you never do. It's not as if she has no other sources.

The Bet Din will side with you, but you will lose more than you will gain.

Learn from the Chinese: see what they are doing? They don't have time for this either.

But I am no business counselor.

yiddishe woman

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 6:45 pm
Also the fact that you are a kolel wife does not mean you have more leeway when doing business because people should be glad to support you. It means that you have even more responsibility to act according to halacha and be 100% sure you are acting fairly in your business dealings.

you have gotten the wrong end here- I didn't in one way mean or state that bc I am a kollel wife I get leeway!!! why on earth would that give me leeway??? halacha and the right thing to do comes way before business. I think that I am doing nothing wrong BUT seeking guidance!
I also felt that my 1 year garentee is way way to generous- but I saw that I have not had one single complaint aside for hers, (which came 6months into wearing it!) and my return policy was to exchange not money back.
I will iyH speak to a rov. I know from experience on a side note, that she falls out with everyone she comes intp contact with and is always busy with daas torah and beis din..

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 9:19 pm
yiddishe woman wrote:

you have gotten the wrong end here- I didn't in one way mean or state that bc I am a kollel wife I get leeway!!! why on earth would that give me leeway??? halacha and the right thing to do comes way before business. I think that I am doing nothing wrong BUT seeking guidance!
I also felt that my 1 year garentee is way way to generous- but I saw that I have not had one single complaint aside for hers, (which came 6months into wearing it!) and my return policy was to exchange not money back.
I will iyH speak to a rov. I know from experience on a side note, that she falls out with everyone she comes intp contact with and is always busy with daas torah and beis din..

I don't think that a one year guarantee for a wig is generous in the least bit.
Wigs should be lasting more than that, and the fact that hers is the only complaint doesn't make a difference.
It's possible that on the whole your wigs are good but she fell in with a defective one.

shalhevet

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 3:00 am
yiddishe woman wrote:

I still don't understand why she returned it - was it defective or did she decide after 8 or 9 months that she didn't like the colour?

I don't know if a year is too long, but that's what you promised her when you sold it.

Again, I don't know who is in the right, but from your story it doesn't sound obvious at all that you are.

yiddishe woman

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 3:11 am
she simply decided she doesn tlike it. the wig is it perfect shape I had it assessed by 2 SM they said its ok.

shalhevet

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 3:22 am
yiddishe woman wrote:
she simply decided she doesn tlike it. the wig is it perfect shape I had it assessed by 2 SM they said its ok.

In that case, why did you even take it back? What are they going to fix??? Why didn't you tell her this before sending it to China? - by taking it back you admitted they need to fix it.

Anyway - ask a rov.

The fact she is your neighbour should have nothing to do with how you treat her when it comes to business dealings. Do what the rov says and consider it finished. If she doesn't like that - what can you do?

EstyGold

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 7:15 am
amother wrote:
I have a great idea to create something. Its something that will sell and can be sold in major stores. I am so passionate about it and really believe it can be great. After tons of research I found a company that it is already extremely successful and established. They have had a lot of exposure in magazines, even in movies and have celebrity clients. I only found them in 2 major retail stores. Now my question is, do I continue to pursue and try to get in with other retail stores? Its not an invention that needs to be patented. It can be extreme competition for me but I am trying to get a similar product done for cheaper. If I am able to bring down the price, should I pursue this dream of mine?

Of course!

If the product exists, make another version of it and sell to the masses!

Advice: don't invest too much at first, make a few samples and get some feedback.

Why? Because your customers may give you more information on how to improve your product. Is is made in the best color? The right material? Could it be a bit bigger? A bit smaller?

Good luck!

amother

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 7:39 am
yiddishe woman wrote:
Im 25 yrs old with a learning husband, I wanted to look for a way to bring in extra money into the family, so I put myself into the sheital business and once I was happy with he company I was dealing with in china and after sampling 2 wigs I decided to order some and spread the word. I managed to sell about 20 and used the income to buy some more. I made it clear to all customers my policy if you are unhappy with the quality, I will return it to company for fixing up to a year . meanwhile, one of my customers, which happens to be a neighbour of mine, was unhappy with hers and returned it to me just a few months before the 'year' ran up. I sent it back to the company and am still awaiting to hear their evaluation. I informed her I will do my best to give her the best service and that I am waiting to hear from her. in this time, her husband met mine and told him that his wife is really upset and I forced he into buyin a rubbish wig... my husband told him tell your wfe to discuss it with mine and she hs her own choice she didn't have to buy no one forced her. she didn't come back to me and instead sends me a horrible text message a few days later saying 'I am buying a new wig for yom tov and I need the money" I wrote back 'ting for the company to you will not be getting a new wig you will be getting a repaired one and I am waireturn it'. sh then wrote back 'its your problem to deal with the supplier I do not have to except a new wg from you and I can as for my money back. ifeel its not right wat you ar doing and I have missed out n a few sales bc of you!if I don't get my money back I will have no choice but to speak to daas torah'

" I made it clear to all customers my policy if you are unhappy with the quality, I will return it to company for fixing up to a year" - Write it down and give this confirmation with the sheitel. Get some ideas of what to write here: http://www.paulayoung.com/jump.....antee

"returned it to me just a few months before the 'year' ran up" - Do I need to comment on this? The moment a customer uses a product for a few MONTHS it means that she was happy with it at first and then... for go figure what reason, decided to return it. She is clearly being an abusive customer. Big retailers would just don't take it back. That's it that's all. You should buy a Paula Young wig, the cheapest one ($29.99 sometimes) just to get their "papers" and look into all their return policies. Another thing: their wigs have TAGS attached to it. Meaning: remove the tag and you can no longer return it.

As a new business person you were giving more than you should. Nobody lets a customer use their product for months and then take it back. Just to wash it down would already be a cost for you.

A 30 days return policy should be the maximum period of time you can accept.

"her husband met mine and told him that his wife is really upset and I forced he into buyin a rubbish wig" - think and be a business person. They are being personal and unprofessional because that's what some customers do... that's just natural. That's why all retailers, big and small have their policies written down and given to all customers.

"she didn't come back to me and instead sends me a horrible text message a few days later saying 'I am buying a new wig for yom tov and I need the money" - She knows she is wrong. Period. If for a single thought she suspected she was right, she would have come knock on your door with a few of her friends or had called authorities. Believe me... she is hiding and making BULLY on you. Don't take it. Next time she writes you a message, don't even open it. Just don't. Instead, make a new e-mail and very professionally repeat your commercial terms. Never treat a "bully customer" in a personal manner.

"you will not be getting a new wig you will be getting a repaired one and I am waireturn it" - Never use the word "I" as it gives force to the "bully customer"... just say "the wig was sent to the manufacturer and it will be returned in 30 days/2months" etc... never go personal. NEVER.

"'I am buying a new wig for yom tov and I need the money" - hahahahaha Very Happy I tell you... if she ever writes this kind of thing again, think and act as a bank would and answer with kindness that the wig in is repair, according to your policy but in the meanwhile, if she feels upset with the sale, you support her to go to look for a lawyer. Just do it.

"sh then wrote back 'its your problem to deal with the supplier I do not have to except a new wg from you and I can as for my money back. ifeel its not right wat you ar doing and I have missed out n a few sales bc of you!if I don't get my money back I will have no choice but to speak to daas torah' --- And I imagine the face of the daas torah listening to such an absurd request... tell her that you fully support the idea of her consulting with a professional. Let her have fun. The woman wants to talk, to get attention, to prove to herself her delusional power, to feel loved and supported... that's more less like it. She wants attention. Go to the 'return' line of Walmart and you'll identify this kind of customer. There are the ones who return just because they're not happy with the product and the ones who return because they're not happy about THEMSELVES.

Good luck and don't let it get into your nerves. When you see her in the street, open the biggest smile you can and wish her a good morning. If she ever approaches you again with this complaint, just be professional. Act as a bank manager would.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 10:28 am
To the PP, a 30 day return policy makes no sense for a wig.
You can't tell if a wig is decent after wearing it for a month maximum, and if it wasn't washed a couple of times.
"BIig retailers wouldn't take it back"? I don't know where you're getting your information from, but Land's End has an unconditional return policy with no time limit.
My friend purchased Tory Burch shoes from Nordstrom, and they took it back a year later because a piece fell off.
I purchased a wig, which had an issue, the SM took it back and apologized even after it was heavily cut and gave me a brand new one.
I don't think that the OP has to go this far, but I do not think that the customer was being an abusive customer, and that the OP has a very generous return policy...
JMHO

ETA: PP, do you have a business?
I just reread your post, what a horrible way to treat customers.

oliveoil

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 10:41 am
Yes, that Amother with all the advice - PLEASE no one listen to her. That will run your business into the ground quicker than you can say "shaitel macher"!

amother

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 11:17 am
I run two successful businesses actually in different fields.

the day our friend gets to sell as much as nordstrom or any other big retailer, then she will not have to deal with such customers personally... she will have assistants on the phone to do the job. on that day... well... let the customer return even 5 years after use, who cares? our friend will be laughing her way off the bank anyways.

but today, since she is still a small business owner, running it from her own home and doing all operations personally, which put her in a vulnerable position and besides all that, all the stress is felt by her family and affects her health and the level of lashon hara in her neighborhood (or do you think this customer is keeping all her frustrations to herself?) ... she MUST create ways to protect her, personally and professionally.

30 days is not enough? ok, not a problem. the sheitel seller will decide what's the best time. she owns the business, she knows the manufacturers return policy... in the end she is the one to decide what to do.

this customer is being abusive and bullying the sheitel seller. period. the customer is threatening her unfairly and at the same time hiding behind husband and e-mails. shame on her.

Wig seller: protect yourself otherwise you'll get so frustrated with all the stress your business is bringing into your house that you have the risk of giving up on your dream.

amother

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 11:27 am
oliveoil wrote:
Yes, that Amother with all the advice - PLEASE no one listen to her. That will run your business into the ground quicker than you can say "shaitel macher"!

yes. listen to me and pick the advises that are useful for you.

nobody owns the truth but we should never turn our back completely to a business advice. perhaps you disagree with the whole, but take the details you like and develop it into your own way to run your business.

don't allow this customer to bully you. never.

if if you do it, you'll sign the contract agreeing to be her punch bag.

I don't have a sheitel business neither work from home... so the advises I gave are general and our friend will pick the ones she wants and the ones that she does not want. it's her decision because she is the one who is dealing with this customer.

it's better than crying, believe me. and people who starts businesses from home have a big time with tissue papers... kleenex is happy to sell for all small business owners who allow themselves to be stepped into unfair deals with bully customers.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
I run two successful businesses actually in different fields.

[u]the day our friend gets to sell as much as nordstrom or any other big retailer, then she will not have to deal with such customers personally.[/u].. she will have assistants on the phone to do the job. on that day... well... let the customer return even 5 years after use, who cares? our friend will be laughing her way off the bank anyways.

but today, since she is still a small business owner, running it from her own home and doing all operations personally, which put her in a vulnerable position and besides all that, all the stress is felt by her family and affects her health and the level of lashon hara in her neighborhood (or do you think this customer is keeping all her frustrations to herself?) ... she MUST create ways to protect her, personally and professionally.

30 days is not enough? ok, not a problem. the sheitel seller will decide what's the best time. she owns the business, she knows the manufacturers return policy... in the end she is the one to decide what to do.

this customer is being abusive and bullying the sheitel seller. period. the customer is threatening her unfairly and at the same time hiding behind husband and e-mails. shame on her.

Wig seller: protect yourself otherwise you'll get so frustrated with all the stress your business is bringing into your house that you have the risk of giving up on your dream.

Go back and reread your original post.
You are contradicting yourself, and like a PP said, you give awful business advice to those that would like to keep customers.

yiddishe woman

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 1:48 pm
Thanks everyone. I did make it clear to her that I dont return after a year. The nerve she had by retrnig it 9 months into wearing it and telling me I wsnt happy from day one is obsurd!

I feel really abused since shes ging around with her big mouth to all the other nighbours on my block.. So much so that I mamish geel I just wanna give her bak her money and 'leave me alone'. Im sure das torah will side with me.
I just feel its a lil too early in my life to deal with din torahs.. If it comes to it... Lastly, shes never picked the phone up to me or been straight forward face to face its really anoying.
But beezrat hashem il pull thru.
Thanks all

Thanks amother who gave the advice of greeting with a big smile and continuing as normal! Il use that tip

rosehill

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 2:31 pm
The thing about a small business is, not all transactions actually make you money.

Sometimes, you spend more time with a customer than their business is worth. Sometimes, they don't pay. And sometimes, they do what your neighbour did to you.

In a business like yours, your good reputation is very valuable. I would refund her the money, and think of it as an investment in good will. As someone above mentioned, treat her fabulously on the street, but avoid doing business with her again.

And maybe, when the manufacturer returns the wig to you, you can sell it at a discount, or donate it to offset some of your loss.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics