Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Dyeing brown to blonde? Possible?

Basya

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:29 pm
Hi,

Anyone have any experience dyeing a brown shaitel to blonde? Is it even possible? I got a brown shaitel for someone but I wear dark blonde, and it really looks off. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sherri

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:39 pm
A rooted look is in so maybe go for tipping the ends the lighter color.

Basya

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:46 pm
Thanks for your response, but is that even possible? Someone mentioned to me that she thinks it requires bleaching that could damage the shaitel?

harriet

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:54 pm
Sherri wrote:
A rooted look is in so maybe go for tipping the ends the lighter color.

Because this is "the look", some shaitel machers (think Chana Hinda, in Passaic) actually PREFER to take a brown shaitel and dye it blonde, leaving some of the roots brown, purposely.

Sherri

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:56 pm
Bleaching a shaitel does do some damage. Discuss with the colorist how much damage would be done by the process you want done.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 4:28 pm
You cannot dye something lighter, it needs to be bleached, then dyed. The process can ruin the wig, depending on what kind of wig, and the quality if it. Not all wigs will be ok after this.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 9:08 pm
I am a sheitelmacher and I do a lot of color/highlights. In this case it is best to add a lot of highlights instead of bleaching out the whole sheitel. This will make it look a lot blonder. If it's a good sheitel (unprocessed European hair), the sheitel will not be ruined, if the sheitelmacher is experienced with this and knows what she is doing. However, if it's a cheap sheitel, it might not work.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 2:24 pm
Depends how brown, depends how blond Wink

Earnest

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 9:40 pm
Adding highlights is a great idea! Especially on the areas that frame the face. Lightening hair is a 'double process" and isn't cheap. However, you can 'lighten' the shaitel/hair one or two tabs/shades and the wig could look convincing. And pretty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels