Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Running covering arms

amother

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 5:12 pm
Hi - just was curious what people would respond about this. anon bc I just told my friend I'd post this (hello friend :-) )

All being well I'm running the 10k in TLV this Friday (and if anyone knows of anyone who can provide a small space for me to crash on Thursday night, lmk and I'll PM you. I realise that as an olah, I know noone)

and it's going to be hot. and I normally cover my arms over the elbow. actually more than half down my lower arm. and I am wondering what I will do then.

what would you do in that situation?

(generally I feel that when exercising I should not be so panicked about it. but I do wear a long skirt when running. and am makpid to cover up generally. but not the end of the world if my elbows peek out. I think. or would I regret it. it's not about halacha here, it's about what I'm used to!)

chani8

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 5:22 pm
This is not the time to compromise on your tznius standards, imo. If you hold that the elbows should be covered, which it seems that you do, then cover them.

And if it will be hot, then the sun will be out, and you'll be glad your arms are covered. And don't forget to put on a hat, and sunscreen on your nose!

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 6:54 pm
Wear something light on your head and hydrate well the day before. Enjoy your high knowing that you've given yourself the gift of having run well- in all respects Smile .

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 8:36 pm
If it were me, I would not run. If I could not be tsnoius in public, I would exercise the way the good L-rd intended me to - in an air conditioned, ladies only gym.

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 8:39 pm
Wear loose-fitting, lightweight clothing. Put sunblock on all exposed skin. Wear a hat and sunglasses. Hydrate well with Powerade. Be safe and have fun!

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 8:43 pm
Go to Crazy Line at a mall. They have really lightweight blouses now that you can throw over a t-shirt for coverage.

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 9:35 pm
IF you were in the US I'd say to go to Target or Modell's or something, they have long-sleeve shirts made of breathable material for running. Are there any sporting goods stores you can go to?

Another option is sleevies, either make your own from a pair of socks or see if there's a store that sells them.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 10:38 am
OP here - thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm comfortable running with others (I.e. men around) bc hopefully I'm running so fast nooone's looking ;-) well, really, I'm not standing there and moving my body in front of someone. just me and 15,000 other people.

anyway, I've heard of sleevies but didn't know where to get them in Israel. I'm not sure it will work with what I'm thinking of - and then what happens when you put your arms in the air? you presumably can still see some skin? (and a lot of perspiration ahem)

I have a long sleeves top, just don't want to overheat.

chocolate moose - I think the Good Lrd intended for me to exercise -and I never went to the ladies-only gym bc they were unfriendly and I was too tired after work. so le sheim mitzvat looking after the body H' gave me....

I think you guy are right - I should enjoy the race in all ways- knowing I've done the right thing.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 16 2013, 3:04 pm
was all fine. wore long sleeved top. drank TONS and B'H' did not over heat.

MyTimeNow

Post Sat, Mar 16 2013, 8:29 pm
Great Very Happy !!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise