Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Att. Frugal ones - can 2 ppl live on $800/mo
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:22 pm
So we are in dire straits. After rent, health insurance, and cell phones, we are left with $800 a month for everything: food, bills (electricity, gas, internet), Metrocards, cleaning supplies, personal hygiene items.

We live in Brooklyn.

We don't own a car.

Will we starve?

Yes we know we NEED to bring more income. Meanwhile... Any tips on not starving?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:27 pm
I realize this isn't helpful . I apologize, but you really should consider Lakewood or Baltimore.
Brooklyn is outrageous . I honestly do not know how anyone can make it there on so little without massive infusions of tzedoka

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:27 pm
$800 a month sounds like plenty for all that!

wife2

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:28 pm
can you get wic or food stamps? a cheaper cell phone/prepaid plan - there are many that still give you a lot of minutes and texts for a lot cheaper per month. can you get medicaid for insurance?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:31 pm
We cannot get WIC.

We applied for food stamps.

We cannot move.

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
So we are in dire straits. After rent, health insurance, and cell phones, we are left with $800 a month for everything: food, bills (electricity, gas, internet), Metrocards, cleaning supplies, personal hygiene items.

We live in Brooklyn.

We don't own a car.

Will we starve?

Yes we know we NEED to bring more income. Meanwhile... Any tips on not starving?

Actually, that sounds fine.

An unlimited metrocard is $112, so only buy it if its worth your while, which means commuting every day, AND using it on weekends. Otherwise, go for per ride.

Try to keep energy costs down. Wear a sweater, and turn the thermostat down. Open windows and use fans when it gets warm out. Use compact fluorescent bulbs, and leave them on timers for Shabbat.

Stick to in-season produce, and non-animal protein sources as much as possible. Be sure to bring lunch to work.

Buy in bulk if you can, then divide it up in your freezer or, for fresh produce, find others who will split it with you. (Where my dad lives, there is a wonderful produce store with great prices that sells only in volume. But they have a couple of tables set up in the back for people to share -- so you can find someone who wants 1 of the 3 heads of romaine, or a pint of strawberries.) Use real towels and real dishes, not disposables.

If you need clothing or shoes, shop at discounters like Marshalls, or second hand stores (for clothes, not shoes).

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 1:10 pm
My family lives on $800 a month for food, automobile gas, cleaning supplies, personal care items, everything you mentioned but a metrocard because we don't have metro here. We are more than two people.

Check out http://kosheronabudget.com/

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:04 pm
We are also 2 ppl and live in Brooklyn. After taking off the 2 biggest expenses (rent and health insurance) $800 is a lot of $. Dont spend it all, at least some of it should be going into savings.

Dont get takeout. Make food from scratch.
Unplug appliances when not in use.
Dont use disposable dishes.

tzfatisha

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:49 pm
borrow some good cook books -especially veggi ones from the library to get good recipe ideas
give up sodas. stick to water or make healthy lemonade from real lemons for shabbat.. much cheaper, healthier and delicious
give up prepackaged products and make stuff with lentils, kasha, brown rice, dried beans & peas,etc. etc make yr own humus, salads like eggplant and so on etc,
shop around and see what shops are the cheapest.. you will be surprised at the differences in the various supermarkets.
coupon cut if that works for u.. but stay away from the junk ... only buy 3 for 2 offers if you actually use those products and can use them up in time otherwise they can just end up getting thrown away
if you have even a windowsill you can at least grow your own herbs.. if u have a balcony or a garden u can grow all your own salads and other veggies.. if you don't know how ask an old-timer to do it with u and share the produce with him.. u will eat healthier, fresher and cheaper food.. and if u pick as u go u will only eat what u need for that meal so it's much easier to check for bugs etc... and it won't need spraying cos it's just for u -not for safeways who require perfect looking (but not tasting) produce
eat seasonally fresh veggies and fruits..don't buy expensive out of season fresh produce...
stay away from disposables - they just eat money... wash the dishes instead..
hang out the laundry on the line instead of using a tumble dryer..
only make one meal for both of u. don't make different meals for each of u each day.. and eat together - this will help to cut out snacking etc.. and make it easier for u.
learn to make your own bread instead of buying it... again cheaper, and and healthier if u use brown flour instead of white..
make your own oatmeal or museli instead of buying cornflakes etc. for breakfast... it's usually much cheaper (and healthier)
use up left overs by turning them into another dish.. eg shabbat's chicken leftovers can turn into a soup or chicken fritters or a chicken pie -or chicken stir fry and serve with rice or noodles... stir fries use a lot of veggies and very little chicken/tofu/nuts etc ... so u are full without using a lot of expensive protein...
etc..
it will take you longer than buying prepackaged food .. but it will pay off both in health and in your pocket..
good luck

Last edited by tzfatisha on Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:51 pm
I thought you meant before rent. If rent and healthcare are taken care of, you can get by just fine with amount of cash as long as you are careful and don't let those around you pressure you into spending.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 3:30 pm
OP here. I am really scared. You are all saying it is doable. How?

bbmom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:08 pm
You haven't mentioned health insurance. Does the $800 need to include that as well? If so I would be concerned, if not you can definitely do it. I believe that living frugally is an acquired skill. You can do a lot of online research including living frugal blogs etc for tips, techniques and ideas. You'll also have to make a serious habit of going over your budget every single month without fail. Mint.com is a great resource for tracking expenses.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:12 pm
OP - it's hard for us to advise you without seeing what you usually buy.

Do you use disposables? Do you buy a lot of prepared products? Give us an indication of what you usually do and we can help you fit it into $800.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:17 pm
OP. We don't use disposables. We do use a lot of Swiffer cloths. I guess you can clean and dust with a rag? And then what, do you just wash it in the washing machine?

We don't get takeout. We buy some prepared food. I can cook but not bake. Does it make sense to invest in a bread machine? Is it easy to learn?

How do you know what's in season?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:19 pm
I did mention health insurance. This is after.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
OP. We don't use disposables. We do use a lot of Swiffer cloths. I guess you can clean and dust with a rag? And then what, do you just wash it in the washing machine?

We don't get takeout. We buy some prepared food. I can cook but not bake. Does it make sense to invest in a bread machine? Is it easy to learn?

How do you know what's in season?

You don't need a bread maker to make your own challah, just a big bowl. And if I were you I wouldn't buy any prepared foods (not sure what the difference between takeout and prepared foods) including baked goods. If you want/need cake in the house, and really are not comfortable baking (though its a lot easier than you think) just buy a box of Duncan Hines for a dollar and make a cake (or cupcakes) from

bbmom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
I did mention health insurance. This is after.

Sorry just reread the OP I missed it. I think it's doable but it'll take hard work and a lot of self restraint.

a1mom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 6:19 pm
try shopping only once a week at most and menu plan before you shop, bread is easy to make and freeze if you practice- buy a large dry yeast and flour at the post pesach sales and try- no knead bread is really easy and yummy and you dont need special equipment just either a dutch oven or reusable loaf pan. you can google seasonal produce or set yourself a cap- ie inly produce that is less then a dollar a pound- in brooklyn the giant vegetable stores like king tomatoe and 3 guys from brooklyn carry alot of fresh and yummy produce for decent prices.

Smiling Wife

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:01 pm
rice and beans can go along way...u can but you have to really really penny pinch. u can make it into a game it is fun but can be stressful if u c it as a burden. depending where u are exactly in brooklyn u can find a cheaper grocery store to buy things up not necessarily heimishe stores but stores like key food and fruit stors in carabbean neighborhood. follow frugal blogs for sales and coupons if u live near cvs there are many deals there or walgreens to get free shampoo and stuff.. there is a way

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:13 pm
OP, it's doable! We live off of even less.
-Limit grocery shopping to $100/a week (that's $400 a month).

You have $400 left:
-Turn off lights whenever possible (ie: during the day and at night keep the bare minimum on)
-If you have a laundry machine, run it no more than once a week.

How much does your utilities bill usually come out to monthly?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics