Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Att. Frugal ones - can 2 ppl live on $800/mo
Previous  1  2  3

celestial

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 1:10 pm
Here is my menu, by the way. I'm getting an order delivered today and it should last me until next Thursday:

Tonight - penne alla vodka and roasted broccoli
Friday night - leftover soup from pesach, homemade dips, challah, salad
Sat night - mac and cheese
Sunday night - Pad thai with tofu
Mon night - fake crab burgers
Tue night - mushroom/zucchini lasagna (veggies were left over from last nights dinner and lasagna noodles I also had)
Wed night - Vegetarian chili with veggie burgers and sour cream
Thursday - penne alla vodka again (my husband loves making this and has starting making it every thursday)

I also got yogurts for breakfast. The Greek yogurts actually aren't that expensive, are large, and very filling with more protein than regular yogurt. We have leftovers for lunch, or I eat what they're serving in the school I work at and bring a sandwich in case I don't have time to eat their food. I stock up on tuna and sliced cheese for this.

I also got juice and some fresh herbs because I love those in my food. I think I spent around $130. And I had to get some stuff like vegetable oil and peanut oil which I didn't have lying around. I buy a few staples that run out every week as well, and this week it was more than usual.

imamiri

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 1:57 pm
celestial wrote:
Here is my menu, by the way. I'm getting an order delivered today and it should last me until next Thursday:

Tue night - mushroom/zucchini lasagna (veggies were left over from last nights dinner and lasagna noodles I also had)
Thursday - penne alla vodka again (my husband loves making this and has starting making it every thursday)

I also got yogurts for breakfast. The Greek yogurts actually aren't that expensive, are large, and very filling with more protein than regular yogurt. We have leftovers for lunch, or I eat what they're serving in the school I work at and bring a sandwich in case I don't have time to eat their food. I stock up on tuna and sliced cheese for this.

I also got juice and some fresh herbs because I love those in my food. I think I spent around $130. And I had to get some stuff like vegetable oil and peanut oil which I didn't have lying around. I buy a few staples that run out every week as well, and this week it was more than usual.

Your menu is very similar to ours.

But I want to highlight the part about leftovers. OP, learn to love leftovers. Many people waste money and food by ditching the remainder of last night's dinner. I'm not saying keep things so long the quality and safety is questionable, but learn to make use of them sometime in the week. I make my own tomato sauce for my pasta and I always have leftover. I save it and add it to my veggie soup, use it to make mini pizzas, or just serve it as a side dish later in the week with some good crusty bread.

So make use of leftovers and also figure out what you can make at home that you don't need to buy.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 2:09 pm
celestial wrote:

Where do you live ? And what time did you say was dinner Smile

celestial

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 2:11 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
celestial wrote:

Where do you live ? And what time did you say was dinner Smile

=D
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics